Why become a member? ×

Why are you in a covers band?

xilddx

I've always (nearly 30 years now) played in covers bands, and pretty much throughout have had a day job. The day job pays the mortgage and keeps the family clothed & fed. The band is a hobby that brings in some extra beer tokens. I don't have the time or inclination to write original stuff, although the other band members have done in the past. Also an originals band would have to travel a lot more for gigs - pretty much all of ours are within the county I live in. I couldn't do that travelling (at my age! :D) and hold down a day job.

However, I'll ask you a question in return - how often does your originals band play? (I know you're in several - choose your busiest). Back in the 80's/90's we were doing 3-4 gigs a week, every week. There are not so many venues to play these days (mainly due to the price of beer and the fact publicans just can't afford to pay for a band), and the guitarist is often away touring - new member of an old originals band. However we're still doing around 4 gigs a month.

I figured the best way for me to get better at song writing is to learn a bunch of well written songs. I have played bass for about 15 years but never really concentrated on other people’s material. Hopefully getting to grips with a whole range of tunes will improve the tools I have available. Like building my vocabulary.
Also there isn't the same creative push and pull from other band members that has caused tension in previous originals bands. At least not yet ;)

[b][b][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][b][i]Struggling with fonts on here for some reason (forgive me for slanting) Interesting points, pretty sure anyone standing on a stage wants to be appreciated for themselves and their own music rather than reproducing something else, however that's not always how it works, it seems there are not as many covers type bands in London and other cities because everyone is trying to "make it", however as a professional entertainer, its not always your job to educate the audience to what you think they want, after playing in many type of situations I really enjoy playing to large appreciative crowds who really enjoy what your doing, heck yeah I wish I was responsible for writing it etc, but was not lucky enough to have been in that situation, so in answer, I play in covers/tribute bands because my own creations in music would have a small audience, but I Love playing Bass and being part of a band, I enjoy the people and situations we get to meet and see, and my alternative is doing a job I would not enjoy. [/i][/b][/size][/font][/b][/b]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363779685' post='2017385']You Whoreclown Entertainer, you! :D[/quote]

If the fez fits.... B)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363779942' post='2017393']Lazy Whoreclown :lol:

Seriously, are you saying covers bands are normally hobbyists?[/quote]

I think that if you looked at the numbers across the country, the vast majority of bass players in cover bands would be "hobbyists" (i.e. they might play for a few quid in cash, but it is not their sole source of income). Of course there are semi-pros and some professional musicians who play covers, but they are in the minority.

But there are different "levels" of covers bands. From the lads churning out a reasonable set of guitar pop or blues tunes on a saturday night in a pub bar, through the more serious tribute acts to the corporate entertainers who go the whole hog and get paid correspondingly more. There is space for all of these, and musicians can take their choice about which type of band they would prefer to join/form. In many cases the audience is already there.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363781372' post='2017430']there hardly seems to be anyone really enjoying being in an originals band[/quote]

I never said that! I love my originals band! Great guys and good material. Nice and laid-back as we are all in out forties and have full-time day jobs and families, so there is no risk of the band taking over. In fact, a few months ago, when I was in two bands (one covers one original) and I had to downsize due to logistical concerns - it was the covers band that got the elbow.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1363781710' post='2017437']The originals, on the other hand... it requires more work. I'm never satisfied with my basslines. [/quote]

I've found that too. It's easier with a cover, and you can tell when you've nailed it. With your own lines there is a tendency to constantly re-visit and re-invent them in the endless quest for perfection. Especially if your originals band doesn't gig all that often (which judging by this thread, it probably won't!! :( ).

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1363782827' post='2017465']
I can fit into a covers band with minimal homework or rehearsal time, which fits with my family time, job and time spent on other things I enjoy.

The other thing is, I have never in my 44 years on earth experienced or heard any negativity towards playing covers from anyone other than on this site.[/quote]

^These. Both of these... <_<

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363783116' post='2017471']
When you gig your own material you're essentially a covers band. The writing and arranging is the creative process - playing that live is reproducing or re-creating that. [/quote]

So all bands are cover bands?! :huh: :o :blink: :D

I never thought I'd want to be in a cover band... But about 6 months after I left my previous originals band, I got a phonecall from a mate asking me if I wanted to join a cover band with a difference. Doing heavy metal instead of the usual classic or indie rock stuff. I was a bit sceptical, because a lot of the cover bands I had seen live were a bit....ropey... But I was keen to get out and play live again! The fact that I was told we might be doing paid gigs was a bonus as well. After my audition I was WELL up for it, and we gig 2-3 times a month now and it's great fun! I still love doing original music, but it's so much easier to get gigs with the cover band, without nearly as much preparation.

In short: GIGS!

I love being in original bands, but i prefer cover bands.

I love playing the music i grew up on and take infuence from. I love trying to replicate and learn chops from my 'hero's'.

We play 50's, 60's 70's so im playing stuff that really means a lot to me. I put a lot of soul and character into my playing, and i dont think i could do that with the 90's 00's stuff.

The other thing is, I have never in my 44 years on earth experienced or heard any negativity towards playing covers from anyone other than on this site.
[/quote]

This is not a negative thread is it? If there is any negativity it's been directed at the originals bands.

I'd love to be back in an originals band but the odds at my age are slim. So I enjoy playing in a covers band to keep my bass skills up to date and keep the old hands and fingers flexible.

it's all about playing and having fun regardless of what you are doing. I must admit I find it harder to learn other bands bass lines than those that I have created bass lines for in the past..

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363782560' post='2017459']
Nor am I :) Why are you forming a cover band?
[/quote]

Because I've had an idea and I think it would be good fun. There is the potential to do original music later but by forming as a cover band and sorting 3 hours of material it is easier to spot the time wasters :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1363784747' post='2017527']
Because I've had an idea and I think it would be good fun. There is the potential to do original music later but by forming as a cover band and sorting 3 hours of material it is easier to spot the time wasters :)
[/quote]
Fair enough :)

I play in covers bands because I love playing music, be it creating or covering, I love playing party music live and being part of a good night.

I can fit into a covers band with minimal homework or rehearsal time, which fits with my family time, job and time spent on other things I enjoy.

To be honest, Its a lot of fun, be it playing at wedding where I dont know anyone, or doing a parent night in the school, its just fun.

The other thing is, I have never in my 44 years on earth experienced or heard any negativity towards playing covers from anyone other than on this site.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1363784646' post='2017524']
This is not a negative thread is it? If there is any negativity it's been directed at the originals bands.
[/quote]

Originals or covers, there is nothing negative, its all about effort, how much time you have on your hands, and what your muso preference is. I love playing bass but i also like playing footie 2x a week, going to the gym 3x a week, getting p1ssed, hanging with the wife, family blah blah blah. That doesnt give me enough time to practice with an originals band often enough or be able to sit at home working out original basslines which IMO take far longer than working out a cover - thanks to the internet. I practice with my metal covers band every fortnight ish and gig 3x ish a month. Plenty for me.

If i had the chance to be in a originals (i.e opeth please) and make a living out of it without the hassle of work and be able to put the effort i think is required then originals all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played originals back in my youth. Got nowhere. Now, in my fifties, I've not got the drive or ambition to write original material but still love to play live. The easiest route is covers. It's still enough of a challenge to make it interesting, I get to play alongside other talented musicians and to appreciative audiences.....does me ::):

I hope I didn't sound too negative, because playing originals, when it went well, was great. Exercising our creativity and bringing our skills to bear on new songs was always a buzz. But it was always with the idea of getting spotted, getting fans, maybe even getting signed, and after a while, when none of those things happen, you get jaded. It's difficult to be able to have absolutely no-one show an interest and not get jaded. And then life just got in the way.

I agreed withn the poster who said that a covers band is a good way to bypass a lot of the hard work and make people dance from the outset. it's what we all want, in the end.

That, and to get paid. Sweet,sweet folding stuff.

[quote name='achknalligewelt' timestamp='1363785700' post='2017552']
I hope I didn't sound too negative, because playing originals, when it went well, was great. Exercising our creativity and bringing our skills to bear on new songs was always a buzz. But it was always with the idea of getting spotted, getting fans, maybe even getting signed, and after a while, when none of those things happen, you get jaded. It's difficult to be able to have absolutely no-one show an interest and not get jaded. And then life just got in the way.

[b]I agreed withn the poster who said that a covers band is a good way to bypass a lot of the hard work and make people dance from the outset. it's what we all want, in the end.[/b]

That, and to get paid. Sweet,sweet folding stuff.
[/quote]

Mmm, for me I want all that but with original music. It's the thrill of people loving what you've written that really gets me. Plus, in a cover band you never have any product to sell, no need to record anything. That's a huge part of the pleasure for me too. The joy of selling a record is a delight, knowing people listen to it in the privacy of their own home, or headphones, or playing it to their mates.

Why a covers band?

Well for me, I just want to play bass and to play to people who are geniunely interested in listening to and enjoying what you are playing...and if that means I'm playing to boozed up punters rocking away to Led Zep covers or to those throwing wildly drunken shapes on the dancefloor to Stevie Wonder tunes, then so be it.

I can only speak of my own experiences, but with my last two bands being guys mid-to-late 30's, getting an original material band on the road in Central Scotland was proving more frustrating and morale-busting than it was a rewarding experience. So much so, that I now personally no longer have the commitment, drive or enthusiasm to come up with original music. A number of things done it for me...

When the punters blatantly aren't remotely interested in the band playing on the stage...

When punters would rather come in for the advertised "after the bands" DJ, rather than actually come and listen to a night of good, original bands and material...

When you're trying to start up and venues are expecting you to sell at least 25-30 tickets before they'll even consider putting you on, so you're chasing the same people to come to practically ever other gig...

When "promoters" don't bother their ass doing what their role name kinda suggests they should do and you get looked upon in disgust when you turn up with a crowd that would struggle to fill a decent to mid-sized people carrier...

When the fans of the other bands on the bill f*ck off after their set (or even your own fans) and don't have the common courtesy to stick around...or even worse...routinely, members of your own band...

When you're asked to turn up at 6pm or earlier to soundcheck, with the promise of a 45 minute set at 9pm, only to find out you've only got a 25 minute set at 11.00pm once the aforementioned pounters have all f*cked off...

Promises of "free beer" mysteriously fail to be kept...

Likewise, payment from the door, even if it is only a few bucks...

I could go on...

That said, probably most telling of all these days for me, at 39 years old, with a 9-5 decent job and a family to support...whilst by no manner of means over the hill, I have absolutely no interest in even having an attempt at "making it" so to speak, and when the other guys in the band have completely polar opposite aspirations, it's only fair to move on and let them have their shot at glory...

Don't get me wrong, although it comes across in this post, I'm not at all bitter (well, not now I'm out of it) and I do genuinely prefer the reaction and response you get from playing covers, particulary when you put your own spin and rework something your own unique way as a band.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth...

Edited by lou24d53

I formed my current originals band at the age of 40, I'm now 46 and still doing it. I do it beacuse I enjoy the creative process, whether it's writing the music (which I do for about 50% of our stuff), or coming up with basslines for songs that our singer/pianist has written. Much as I love playing bass and playing live, the creative process is what does it for me, it's what really gives me that buzz.

I did covers for a brief period when I was at Uni, purely to earn a few extra quid, but my heart was never in it, and I don't think it's something I'll ever do again to be honest. Life's too short - I'd rather be writing and recording my own stuff, even if it's only for my own pleasure.