Why become a member? ×

Fender = boring and dull.

wateroftyne

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363090179' post='2008155']
So, go on BRX, what could Fender do for you? I'm thinking maybe a custom shop Coronado with a set neck and your own chosen characteristics?
[/quote]

OK I'll see if there's something in the Fender back catalogue that could be subtly adapted to suit what I want. I'm warning you, it'll have 5-strings for a start though...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363087316' post='2008083']
Bolt-on neck is not best on a hollow body.
[/quote]

I will bow to your superior knowledge on that point , because I really have no idea . Just let me clarify one more time though , I am not saying that[i] I[/i] think bolt -on is unequivocally superior to neck - thru ( or set- neck ) construction , I am talking about consensus in the bass making and bass playing world at large at the present time , as illustrated by market trends in basses and which type of instruments high profile players are using . My basses have bolt-on necks , but if Spector or Alembic want to give me a neck - thru bass I will play it , I promise you !

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363092459' post='2008223']Just let me clarify one more time though, I am talking about consensus in the bass making and bass playing world at large at the present time , as illustrated by market trends in basses and which type of instruments high profile players are using[/quote]

I thought you made that point very clearly. :) Several times now... :rolleyes: :P Some people don't listen. :huh:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363088659' post='2008127']
....Which tosh in particular are your disagreeing with? There's several pages of it.....
[/quote]

There are!!

Mostly the post before mine, but I also felt that the tosh I usually let go, because it's not worth the energy of a response, needed me to hit the enter button.

I'm over it now.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363089652' post='2008146']
Fender already win every day that they sell a P or J bass.

There's no need for Fender to even think about changing any more. If I was running Fender as a business I'd be looking at making lots more of the same and perhaps buying up all the companies that were perceived as making a superior copy of our basses.

For those of us who don't want a Fender style bass there are plenty of alternatives available at all price points. When I am knocking Fender (or at least the Fender way of doing things) it's because I see what I consider to be design compromises that made perfect sense back in the 1950s, being applied to modern basses, without first thinking if those compromises still make sense in the 21st century.

[/quote]

If you don't like Fender basses that's perfectly fine , and it may well be that the designs don't suit you or meet your specific needs for various reasons . However , I think it is wrong to suggest that the basic design of Fender basses has become outmoded or dated or somehow unsuitable in the current age , when in fact exactly the opposite is true . What is remarkable about the Fender bass is that it is still the best tool for the job of playing the bass guitar in most modern popular music situations , even 60 or so years after its' initial conception . That's why so many people still use them .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363093042' post='2008239']What is remarkable about the Fender bass is that it is still the best tool for the job of playing the bass guitar in most modern popular music situations , even 60 or so years after its' initial conception .[/quote]

tommyrot.

Call me boring and dull, but if I still played 4's I'd only be playing my old 3TS Fender Pbass.

I would play a Fender 5 string bass but as a new one is now into the price range of a good used Sadowsky, Lakland or Lull, I think Fender has to seriously up its game before I'd be more than mildly interested.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1363051305' post='2007722']
Must surely be time for a resurgance of the Gibson era........
[/quote]
They lost my interest (and my money) when they put black hardware on the non-rev Thunderbird. If they'd have done it [i]properly[/i] they'd have had me by the [s]bollocks[/s] wallet.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363093042' post='2008239']
What is remarkable about the Fender bass is that it is still the best tool for the job of playing the bass guitar in most modern popular music situations , even 60 or so years after its' initial conception . That's why so many people still use them.
[/quote]
Quite.

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363094884' post='2008289']
Oh? And why is that? I ask purely for info...[/quote]

For the same reason that the guys who build them - or not many of them possibly - drive to work in one of these......

.......... things have moved on. There are far better ways of building most things now than there was then & the bass guitar is just one among that very long list.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1363095031' post='2008302']
Opinion expressed as fact.
[/quote]

Again.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363093042' post='2008239']
What is remarkable about the Fender bass is that it is still the best tool for the job of playing the bass guitar in most modern popular music situations, even 60 or so years after its initial conception. That's why so many people still use them.[/quote]

I agree with this opinion. Your mileage may vary. Other bass guitars are available.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1363095031' post='2008302']Opinion expressed as fact.[/quote]

As I've said before, I take all posts on this entire forum, unless otherwise stated or qualified to have an invisible [color=#d3d3d3](IMHO)[/color] stashed away in them somewhere.
Give him his due BRX usually writes in in anyway, which is always good to see.

If all posts were read in that way there'd be a lot less antzy incidents on here .......................... IMHO.

........... anyway, as I was saying, Fenders are boring.......... :P

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1363095327' post='2008315']
There are far better ways of building most things now than there was then & the bass guitar is just one among that very long list.
[/quote]

The car has essentially the same function today as it had in the fifties. It still uses an internal combustion engine, itself a development of the steam engine. All that has been developed are safety features, engine efficiency and the use of on-board computers. That's all.

Bolt on has it's benefits, and neck through has it's benefits. Each one suits a different player, different instruments, different manufacturers and their processes.. Bolt-on necks seem to more prevalent for mass production, as i'd guess they're easier and cheaper to do, whereas many people opting for a custom build go for a neck through option. It's all down to what you want IMO.

I will say that although my main bass is a Fender, i do sometimes find them a little bit boring, which is why i want a metalflake pink P bass with matching headstock and fretboard LED's, but at the base of it all, it's still just a P bass.

Liam