Why become a member? ×

Fender = boring and dull.

wateroftyne

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363019056' post='2006988']
It says on the advert that it is one - off . Considering it is a master built piece by Jason Davies I am inclined to believe that this is the only one .
[/quote]

That at least would be an advantage, were it true. :)

I think that to extent Fender are damned if they do and damned if they don't when it comes to experimenting with new non -traditional designs when it comes to both basses (and guitars for that matter ) . If they stick to making what we know them for they people say they just do the same old thing , and yet if they try something like this folks will say that it isn't right for Fender to make these kind of designs . This bass doesn't appeal to me , but it equally wouldn't appeal to me if someone except Fender had made it . Fender are damned by their own success in so much as the Precision Bass and Jazz Bass are such complete and timeless designs that have never really been improved , meaning Fender can succeeed without ever replacing them or significantly adding to their stable of basic designs .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363031012' post='2007361']
Have Fender ever made any basses with though- or set-necks?
[/quote]

I can't think of any . It would go against the whole Fender design aesthetic - I am reluctant to describe it as a philosophy - in the same way that it would undermine Alembic to produce a bass with a bolt -on neck . The significant point is however , that most bass players and bass makers broadly agree nowadays that a bolt on neck is best . As with most things , Fender got it right to begin with , thus negating the need for change .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363031871' post='2007385']
I can't think of any . It would go against the whole Fender design aesthetic - I am reluctant to describe it as a philosophy - in the same way that it would undermine Alembic to produce a bass with a bolt -on neck . The significant point is however , that most bass players and bass makers broadly agree nowadays that a bolt on neck is best . As with most things , Fender got it right to begin with , thus negating the need for change .
[/quote]

Who's said that bolt-on is best and where have they said it?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363031871' post='2007385']
[/quote]

It's a bit of a broad statement to claim bolt on to be 'better' than neck through design, even if the former is my choice! It's definitely the current trend in bass construction so perhaps it's more like bass makers are claiming it to be superior because it sells?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363033798' post='2007436']
Who's said that bolt-on is best and where have they said it?
[/quote]

Too many players and builders to mention here, but off the top my head I could cite players like Lee Sklar , David Hungate , TonyLevin , Justin Meldal Johnson and makers as diverse as Michael Tobias , Roger Sadowsky , Lakland and Jens Ritter have concurred in recent years that the punch and immediacy you get from a bolt on neck is the way to go . That is why bolt -on designs have come to proliferate in the marketplace nowadays - that is what people want , because they think it is better , find it preferable and enjoy the overall designs more .

Personally I'm not convinced. There's so many different factors involved in the construction, that it seems naive to be able to exactly pin-point what the method by which the neck attaches to the body affects the sound.

The problem I have with most bolt-on necks is that too many designs simply ape what Fender have done and impede playability from the 15th fret onwards. Plus I still haven't heard a 5-string with a bolt-on neck that sounds as good as one with a through neck, and even if it did I'd take playability over a slightly less good sound every time.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363036691' post='2007493']
Personally I'm not convinced. There's so many different factors involved in the construction, that it seems naive to be able to exactly pin-point what the method by which the neck attaches to the body affects the sound.

The problem I have with most bolt-on necks is that too many designs simply ape what Fender have done and impede playability from the 15th fret onwards. Plus I still haven't heard a 5-string with a bolt-on neck that sounds as good as one with a through neck, and even if it did I'd take playability over a slightly less good sound every time.
[/quote]

That's fair enough . Myself personally , I like both neck- thru and bolt -on designs , and glued -in for that matter A heel block doesn't particulaly bother me on most basses when it comes to playing in the upper registers . As long as the overall design feels and sounds good , it's all just as valid . I've played both kinds that I liked and disliked and ultimately , you either like a bass or you don't .

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363031012' post='2007361']
Have Fender ever made any basses with though- or set-necks?
[/quote]
Can't think of any Fender branded ones, but FMIC's Heartfield brand had through necks. Not sure that really counts as Fender though.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1363034084' post='2007443']
It's a bit of a broad statement to claim bolt on to be 'better' than neck through design, even if the former is my choice! It's definitely the current trend in bass construction so perhaps it's more like bass makers are claiming it to be superior because it sells?
[/quote]

Maybe bolt-on sells because most folks agree or have the common perception that it is better , or more accurately , that designs with bolt-on necks are the most desirable overall ? I think the reality is that for a number of reasons , the current tendancy is towards bolt-on construction and those are the basses that will sell . I am not neccesarilly claiming it is better myself - I like a variety of bass designs and styles both vintage and modern . I am talking more about current market trends .

[
[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1363030141' post='2007332']
Dysons are really Hoovers aren't they
[/quote]

Well it's a similar analogy - another vacuum cleaner but a far more technologically advanced one. Rather like a formula 1 car wheel is a wheel, just like a cart wheel is........................I wouldn't advocate using a cart wheel on anything but..........well a cart to be honest.

Face it, the Fenders (well at least the P and J variety) were conceived and designed for 50s jazz/country and rock and roll - as mainstream genres, these are surely extinct (well except in tribute bands) - the public listened to them through very low fi sound equipment so the quality didn't matter too much - improvements in amplification and speaker technology have made them usable for subequent genres - whether they work in them better than more technologically advanced instruments is a moot point, coloured by personal taste. Thankfully there is plenty of variety around from what I see in local gigs - Warwicks, Musicman etc are as popular as Fenders amongst semi-pros.

I quite often play gigs where there are a number of bands supporting - I have to say that when two or three of these have the ubiquitous Fender bass, and particularly when played by the ubiquitous type of bass player I do yawn sometimes (and it does get boring) - I see an ever more boring procession of them on television shows as well. So yes, they induce yawning (and certainly some (though not all) of the people playing them these days does also - so yes..........they probably have become boring. Must surely be time for a resurgance of the Gibson era..............any budding Andy Frasers around??

All that said, Fender know how to grab you by the balls!! They only had to release a new 'vintage' model in sonic blue and I was suffering major GAS - I have recovered without parting with any money............but I'm sure it will only be a temporary recovery!

Edited by drTStingray