Why become a member? ×

Monkees basslines...who did play them...?

iconic

Just been going thru a Monkees week, some super tight and really busy, well played basslines hiding away in some their gems....try Pleasant Valley and I'm A Believer for tasters.

Now, I know that Carol Kaye '[b][i]says'[/i][/b] she played on their tracks, but with respect is there anything she says she [i][b]didn't [/b][/i]play on?..... but I've also read it also be the Monkees producer Chip Douglas?

any Monkees fans/anoroaks can clarify this.

.....and it seems Davy Jones, Mike Nesmith, and Peter Tork all play bass (same bass in 3 of these pics?) but wouldn't of thought they did the recorded basslines, seems a lot of bands had session musicans stand-in for expensive studio time...Wrecking Crew etc.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1362818910' post='2005094']
[url="http://www.addmoremusic.net/Monkees1.html"]http://www.addmoremu...t/Monkees1.html[/url]
[/quote]

wow!, now this is interesting, thanks!

now!...but who is Larry Taylor and sadly no details for I'm A Believer :(

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1362818093' post='2005078']
... same bass in 3 of these pics? ...

[/quote]
Guild Jetstar Bass ... a very early one with four-a-side tuners and Hagstrom Bisonic pickup.

EDIT: Having examined some other pics of this bass it does not in fact have a Hagstrom Bisonic pickup but the later small Guild single coil:

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1362846634' post='2005306']
and Mike Nesmiths mum invented Tipex, making a fortune!
[/quote]

I'll raise you a nesmith invented and then sold the idea of mtv.....money goes to money!

You know, that guild bass looks quite cool.....expect they are a bundle?

I think the two b/w pics on the OP are from a documentary film that a Sky channel did a few years ago. Their opening song, once they actually DID play for themselves live, was "Circle Sky", which is on YT but not the version in the docu.
In the docu the other three, apart from Mike, switched instruments while they played, it was very well done, & I don't remember that they missed a beat while they did it, so those two pics "could" be from the same song.

I've never seen Davy play anything for any length of time other than marraccas or tambourine. The col pic of him on drums, with the stripey b'ground, is a shot off their TV show's set (possibly Daydream Believer or Love Is Only Sleeping), which were all mimed so it doesn't matter who played what

I wouldn't say I'm anything like an expert on them, but I have a few albums on CD & watch anything on them that's worth watching, ie. not the crappy TV series.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1362846634' post='2005306']
and Mike Nesmiths mum invented Tipex, making a fortune!
[/quote]

[pedant alert]
Nesmith's mother, Bette Nesmith Graham, invented what became known as Liquid Paper in the early 1950s. Tipp-Ex is a German company dating from 1959 and originally made correction paper not correction liquid. The fortune part is correct. [/pedant alert]

Little known fact No. 3: Cosy, twee, love song "Last Train To Clarksville" (while they can't get credit for writing it) was an anti-war song.

Clarksville was an army base for kids who ended up in Vietnam, hence the line "And I don't know if I'm ever coming home".

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1362852640' post='2005405']
Well-known fact: people said they monkeyed around, but this wasn't in fact the case.
[/quote]

And what proof do you have of this fact?

I heard that they [i]did[/i] in fact, monkey around.......

From Ms. Kaye's website:

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#804000"]"Beginning in 1969, she wrote her first of many bass tutoring books, "How To Play The Electric Bass" [b]effectively changing the name of Fender Bass to Electric Bass [/b]and began teaching 100s of Electric Bass students, many of them now famous themselves."[/color][/size][/font]

[size=4][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Funny that - I bought an Electric Bass in Germany in 1963, at least that's what I asked for in the shop and I came out with a Hofner Bass. :huh: [/font][/size]

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1362821886' post='2005141']
Wasn't Nesmith actually a good musician before joining the Monkees? I know that they all play stuff now (if they are not dead) but didnt in the early days.
[/quote]

they'd all played in bands or sung professionally before. nesmith did some great music after the monkees - check out his stuff with 'the first national band'.

Edited by ahpook