Why become a member? ×

No More New Music - Would it Matter?

xilddx

An end to all new music would seriously poop me off.

I love new music. And by that I don't just mean discovering previously unheard stuff (which is itself great fun); I mean seeking out music that has been recently created by new and upcoming artists. For me, that's where it's at.

I get bored rigid by the idea that the best music has already been recorded, and that no new music can ever compete with the halcyon days of yore. That's conservatism at its worst in my opinion: putting the blinkers on to preserve the music of one's own generation, as though wanting to freeze time and deny the march of cultural change.

Fact is, you can love [i]all[/i] music, old and new. But the world would be a much less lively and interesting place without new music fueling the heady souls of them young folk down the discotheque... And if the new music they enjoy didn't rankle the previous generation, then something would certainly be amiss ;)

So yes, new music matters a lot. It changes with and reflects the times we live in. Just like art, fashion, language and all other forms of cultural expression. And if you think there's no good new music out there, then you're almost certainly looking in the wrong places...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1361881154' post='1992283']
An end to all new music would seriously poop me off.

I love new music. And by that I don't just mean discovering previously unheard stuff (which is itself great fun); I mean seeking out music that has been recently created by new and upcoming artists. For me, that's where it's at.

I get bored rigid by the idea that the best music has already been recorded, and that no new music can ever compete with the halcyon days of yore. That's conservatism at its worst in my opinion: putting the blinkers on to preserve the music of one's own generation, as though wanting to freeze time and deny the march of cultural change.

Fact is, you can love [i]all[/i] music, old and new. But the world would be a much less lively and interesting place without new music fueling the heady souls of them young folk down the discotheque... And if the new music they enjoy didn't rankle the previous generation, then something would certainly be amiss ;)

So yes, new music matters a lot. It changes with and reflects the times we live in. Just like art, fashion, language and all other forms of cultural expression. And if you think there's no good new music out there, then you're almost certainly looking in the wrong places...
[/quote]

Great post mate!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361876477' post='1992163']
Absolutely.

[b]I am finding some of the responses quite troubling.[/b] Some are like music is only for people who 'appreciate' music for its intrinsic melodic, harmonic and rhythmic values in isolation, rather than as a reflection of the people creating it, a reflection of context.
[/quote]
Good grief Nigel, get a grip!
I, and I guess many other posters, assumed that your question was posted as just a light-hearted bit of fun and replied accordingly.
If we thought that you would find [i]'some of the responses quite troubling'[/i] then, I'm sure, that we would have taken a little more time to consider the question, and posted more than the 1 or 2 lines that I, and most others have contributed... or not have posted at all.
;)

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1361881416' post='1992293']
Good grief Nigel, get a grip!
I, and I guess many other posters, assumed that your question was posted as just a light-hearted bit of fun and replied accordingly.
If we thought that you would find [i]'some of the responses quite troubling'[/i] then, I'm sure, that we would have taken a little more time to consider the question, and posted more than the 1 or 2 lines that I, and most others have contributed... or not have posted at all.
;)
[/quote]

You'd have known had I intended it to be a light-hearted thread :D

It's a serious question :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361872040' post='1992069']
I'd suggest that all this angst about 'new' music is more of a sociological issue than a musical one. Kids use new music as part of their rebellion against the status quo, they are attracted to stuff that has never been before. Also, many people like to dislike stuff simply because it's popular, so they are naturally drawn to new stuff because they think it gives themselves some sort of originality.

So there are all sorts of behavioural stuff going on concerning music, but strip all that nonsense away and there's more than enough music already in the world to satisfy our basic musical needs. [/quote]

Aren't the feelings of the listener important? I believe that the emotional response of the listener is a vital part of music. I don't think its important whether a third party deems that emotional response valid or "nonsense".

It seems to me that much of the animus either for or against 'new' music is powered not by a desire to experience the joy of music but, instead, by a wish to broadcast the proponent's world view. That is to say, the position that 'old' things are better' or its counter - that 'new things affirm the positivity of human progress' are artifices wrought by the opinion-holder for their own benefit.

Neither of these opposing positions have much to do with whether the music in question is 'good' in either the subjective, the objective, the qualitative or the quantitative senses. We are merely observing an external characteristic - whether this particular combination of melody, harmony, tempo and lyrical content (if any) has heretofore been arrived at. This state cannot, in itself, be termed objectively either good or bad. In so stating, we are merely illuminating our own opinion.

Let us also examine the motive for holding these positions. It is my view that either opinion is designed to provide solace for the holder's personal context. For example, it is more reasonable that a young person might believe that 'new is better' simply because it is the natural Oedipal desire of each generation to wish to slay their fathers. It is less reasonable that such a view be held by the older generation because it would be tantamount to wishing death upon oneself.

That a youth may venerate novelty is predictable. That a greybeard may do likewise indicates a disporoportionate propensity to observe the poet's enjoinder to rage against the dying light (or something).

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361881628' post='1992299']
You'd have known had I intended it to be a light-hearted thread :D

It's a serious question :)
[/quote]

I agree with SteveK. It's not really a serious question is it, because it'll never happen. Ever. It's like asking people not to write any more poetry. Can't be done. Even the most oppressive regimes in history have not been able to totally subdue people's inherent creativity and desire to commit their thoughts to words or music.

So, the question has to be entirely hypothetical. In which case, entirely hypothetical answers are only to be expected and it seems strange to become "troubled" by any of them.

There are plenty of things in the world today to get seriously 'troubled' about without inventing hypothetical ones. ;)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361816667' post='1991388']

2. This is what I can never understand, how can you have heard 'most' new music? It's a common thing I hear on BC that 'most' new music is sh*t :)
[/quote]

I'm with you in disagreeing that 'most new music is sh*t'. In fact, the word 'new' is redundant.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361894454' post='1992605']It's like asking people not to write any more poetry. Can't be done. Even the most oppressive regimes in history have not been able to totally subdue people's inherent creativity[/quote]

I would like to be given the opportunity to oppressively subdue poets. I reckon I could stop them writing any more poetry given enough time and blunt instruments.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361894454' post='1992605']
I agree with SteveK. It's not really a serious question is it, because it'll never happen. Ever. It's like asking people not to write any more poetry. Can't be done. Even the most oppressive regimes in history have not been able to totally subdue people's inherent creativity and desire to commit their thoughts to words or music.

So, the question has to be entirely hypothetical. In which case, entirely hypothetical answers are only to be expected and it seems strange to become "troubled" by any of them.

There are plenty of things in the world today to get seriously 'troubled' about without inventing hypothetical ones. ;)
[/quote]

So you're saying it wasn't really worth posting :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361901479' post='1992794']
So you're saying it wasn't really worth posting :)
[/quote]
Nothing wrong with the question, and the thread was going swimmingly... until post #47
[quote]I am finding some of the responses quite troubling. Some are like music is only for people who 'appreciate' music for its etc etc[/quote]

It put me in mind of a chap that I once met in Holland in 1974...
" Draw a simple tree," he said to me and my fellow struggling, tired and hungry musicians.
"How simple?" we ask;
"The simpler the better," he replies.
We set about scribbling. In a couple of seconds we have finished our 'simple' trees. Dutch chap (I think he called himself a 'tour manager') continues drawing... eventually, he finishes.
We all show and compare our trees which mostly look like clouds on sticks - he shows his tree which looked like something Constable would have been proud of. He looked at us as if, somehow, a point had been made. :huh:

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1361910000' post='1992998']
It put me in mind of a chap that I once met in Holland in 1974...

[...]

He looked at us as if, somehow, a point had been made. :huh:
[/quote]

I could explain, but sadly we're not allowed until 40 years have gone by.
Just remind me next year. :P
;)

dutchbest,
dutchbert

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1361895950' post='1992645']
I would like to be given the opportunity to oppressively subdue poets. I reckon I could stop them writing any more poetry given enough time and blunt instruments.
[/quote]

Can anyone help out..? I was attempting to 'show off', but got a bit stuck for a rhyme, it seems...

[i]It's not that I'm against trying...[/i]

[i]With your implements, suitably blunt.[/i]

[i]It's simply that if that's what you think of a lot...[/i]

[i]Of poets, you're a bit of a...[/i]

Anyone..? :mellow:

Two points:

1.The classical world has almost reached that point, almost every classical concert is a performance of historic music and the classical music cd catalogues are largely re-recordings of the same pieces.

If there was no more music in 'our' general genre of mainly electric instruments then there would likely be a similar focus on interpretation of re-recorded/re-played material and also a wealth of more obscure music surfacing as the old artistes and their repertoire come under increasing scrutiny. Even if you take away the occasional new entry the classical music world can be considered to be healthy and thriving under these circumstances.

2. When is music new? Re-working of existing material can change the overall feel etc almost beyond recognition (eg Dr Lonnie Smith's version of the Beatles' Come Together). Is it new? Much of popular music is played from feel and off the cuff as opposed to scores. Jamerson, Entwhistle etc rarely play the same thing twice in a song and, no doubt between performances. Is my playing of these, with different fills etc, 'new' or interpretation? Where would the line be drawn?

It would, of course, be a very sad occasion if all new music was to come to an end.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1361961433' post='1993567']
Well, if we're doing poetry now...

[i]Our Nigel has started a thread[/i]
[i]With a subtext as plain as your head:[/i]
[i]"Stop debating the details[/i]
[i]Of the greatness of Beatles[/i]
[i]And listen to my band instead!"[/i]

;)
[/quote]

Very good mate.

I am sorry it seems to you that I'm starting threads to promote my own band's music.

I'm trying to get people to hear other BCer's bands on another thread through, and you should check out GarethFlatlands' band inFictions, they are superb. And Owen's work is also quite lovely.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361964427' post='1993623']
I am sorry it seems to you that I'm starting threads to promote my own band's music.

[/quote]

Please don't take it to heart - it was meant as a gentle leg-pull. I would have added "and the music of other basschatters" on the end but it wouldn't scan. I'll accept 3 points on my poetic licence. :)