Why become a member? ×

Any SG/Short Scale fans??

onemanband

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1361526934' post='1986906']
I played Hofner for a while after 20yrs of Fender. If you practice enough I don't think scale length change makes a huge difference and it's easy to adapt to the change. I reckon it's mostly in our heads and a lot of players are put off short scale before they've really tried them or given them a proper chance.
[/quote]

Well said .
I just posted in a lefty thread how I learned guitar strung for a right handed person, eventually stringing left handed. Same with bass. So now I can pick up left or right handed instruments and play. Ok I'm not as fluent these days with right-strung basses ( thought my guitar chord work is more fluent righty ??!!) but as you say, we fuss too much over trivial things when the human brain is capable of tackling far more challenging things than short/ long scale.

BTW I would love an EB3 short scale. Double-cutaway!

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1361580165' post='1988040']
[u][color=#0000cd][b]AND ONE QUESTION PLEASE [/b][/color][/u]I have a Gibson hard case but [u][i][b]please[/b][/i][/u] does[b].[/b] anyone know where I can get a good quality gig bag for the short scale SG bass (SKB semi-hard gig case or similar) They all seem to be either long scale or poor quality or can't accomodate the "two a side" tuner configuration; any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
[/quote]

A couple of years ago I searched the entire universe utilising both time machines and wormholes and couldn't find one.
In the end i bought a high quality Ritter long scale bag and chucked my mustang in, it doesn't move about and feels quite well protected, also the bag will take my Stingray should I feel the need.

For bags, try a Fusion F1 - not for short-scales specifically but not a long bag. The neck support is useful (with a fastener) and the head end of the bag accommodates 2+2 with ease. I have a Brown Bass in one (basically an SG copy) and it fits really well. The bags are well-padded too and very light. Straps pack away but are well-padded if you need them, so in all, a good option for short-scales (and for longer basses too).

I heard so many negative comments and reviews about the the Hofner violin bass I tried one and loved it!! (I think mine is the contemporary model) Even better with flatwounds.

I prefer the short scale because I have a shoulder injury so my fretting hand and arm is more straight ahead rather than stretching out to reach the end of the neck of a long scale. To some experts they might be rubbish but I can easily cope with the neck dive and thuddy tone!!

Edited by phil.mcglassup

I had an original Hofner Violin Bass that I bought for £50, and stupidly sold for the same amount.
It was great wee thing. However, I used to put roundwounds on it.

I also had a semi-permanent loan of a weird Vox short scale with a coaxial (like a TV aerial) socket. That was good too, and later on a Yamaha BB that was medium scale. I broke the nut on two of them in the same bit of the same song. Sound Control called me "Mr Destructo" and gave me my money back.

Long before any of that lot that was a " Top Twenty" 3 string horror. I was very young :lol:

I bought a squier Bronco for a friend as a backup for their Musicmaster and had it for a couple of weeks and absolutely loved it, I couldn't put it down!. I've a strong hankering to buy myself one and put a matching white covered pickup at the bridge, like a diddy jazz. I think it would look really cool, if anyone is a whizz with photoshop and would like to mock one up......

I was chasing YouTube links the other day and rather enjoyed this - nice bass playing on a Danelectro. I guess that is light as a feather, also short scale. Is it muddy? A bit. Nice though.
[url="http://youtu.be/pZ2SLTajOvc"]http://youtu.be/pZ2SLTajOvc[/url]

well gas got the beter of me today n i got my self a shiny new candy apple red pawn shop mustang, thing is somthings guna have to go so if anyone reading this thread is looking for a shorty give me a shout , make me an offer
my ladys are all short ;-)
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/imag0571hx.jpg/][img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/339/imag0571hx.jpg][/url]

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]anyone know where I can get a good quality gig bag for the short scale SG bass"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've got a Stagg gig bag that fits an Epi EB3 perfectly. The quality seems pretty good. There are no labels or size on the bag as far as I can see, just the makers name. [/font][/color]

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1362094767' post='1995885']
well gas got the beter of me today n i got my self a shiny new candy apple red pawn shop mustang, thing is somthings guna have to go so if anyone reading this thread is looking for a shorty give me a shout , make me an offer
my ladys are all short ;-)
[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/imag0571hx.jpg/"][img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/339/imag0571hx.jpg][/url]
[/quote]

Interesting idea with the string thru on the EB3; not sure if I like the look of it or not, though not much is worse that the Godawful 3-pointer that Gibson are insisting on these days.
What bridge have you used on that?

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1362139667' post='1996262']
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]anyone know where I can get a good quality gig bag for the short scale SG bass"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've got a Stagg gig bag that fits an Epi EB3 perfectly. The quality seems pretty good. There are no labels or size on the bag as far as I can see, just the makers name. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

The Epiphone version of the EB3 is long scale though...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1362146935' post='1996442']
The Epiphone version of the EB3 is long scale though...
[/quote]

They did a ltd edition in short-scale too, a guy I know in the US has 2 of them.
I wanted the white long-scale with dot markers, but life got in the way & I waited too long.

I have one of the limited edition 1960's Epi EB-3 basses (in cherry) and it's definitely a shorty. Other cosmetic differences from the standard long scale model are dot fret markers rather than block and the addition of a tug bar on the pickguard under the bridge pick up.

I've also got an Epiphone EB-0 in Pelham Blue which I've modded by adding a Hipshot Supertone bridge (a vast improvement on the 3 point bridge which I can never get on with), a Dimarzio Model One and series/parallel switching.

My third shorty is an Epiphone Allen Woody which is a fab bass, one of my favourites.

Edited by Fozza

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362146608' post='1996432']
Interesting idea with the string thru on the EB3; not sure if I like the look of it or not, though not much is worse that the Godawful 3-pointer that Gibson are insisting on these days.
What bridge have you used on that?
[/quote]

Its a tune o matic with lock down sadles, got it off evilbay. front feruls are fender telecaster with the centres re drilled and the rear feruls are from the evilbay too. works well with good internation. also turned the bridge pickup round to make it a little more bassie

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1362148841' post='1996473']
Its a tune o matic with lock down sadles, got it off evilbay. front feruls are fender telecaster with the centres re drilled and the rear feruls are from the evilbay too. works well with good internation. also turned the bridge pickup round to make it a little more bassie
[/quote]

Good thinking, though I heard that the bit about turning the pickup is an old-wives tale. Others will know better than me, or have you noticed a distinct difference yourself?
I assume that the extra string distance means that you have less issues with the wrap on strings getting in the way, therefore more choice of string brands?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362149472' post='1996488']
Good thinking, though I heard that the bit about turning the pickup is an old-wives tale. Others will know better than me, or have you noticed a distinct difference yourself?
I assume that the extra string distance means that you have less issues with the wrap on strings getting in the way, therefore more choice of string brands?
[/quote]

Def notice a diference when you move the pickup poles a little, same as you do when you chance where you pick the strings.
part of the reason for the string through mod was to give a beter choise of strings

I have owned a '78 Fender Musicmaster and a '68 Gibson EBO. The Fender was a piece of crap and I fitted a Seymour Duncan replacement pickup to make it acceptable. I only used it in a covers band. Didnt think it good enough for anything else.

On the other hand I loved the EBO and wish I still had it but lack of funds meant I needed to sell at the time to get a decent all-rounder. The EBO was pure bottom end and very muddy which meant a change in playing style to articulate the notes but the short scale was great. In fact, now I have some spare dosh burning a hole Ive been eyeing up the modern SG bass.

Like others here, I dont have a problem switching between a bass like this and say, my 34" scale Warwick Thumb.

Since the original posting, I've had a trip into the "Long Scale - 5 string" territory.............biggest mistake ever!!
Didn't like the long scale and just couldn't come to terms with the "5-string thing" always mistaking the bottom B for bottom E resulting in bum notes being dropped in the band rehearsals.......not good!!!! Kept going back to my Gibson SG.
[b]SO[/b], i've sold the 5-string precision and bought one of the new [b]"pawn shop" Fender Mustang[/b][i]........WOW!!.[/i]absolutely superb; immaculate build & finish, excellent tonal variety and of course my beloved short scale!!
I shall re-string this bass with D'Addario Chrome flat wounds and then it will probably be my gigging 'bass of choice"

Edited by onemanband

I love short scales , even though I sold both my 65 reissue Jap Mustang and my white SG (pics still on here somewhere ) in order to buy a Shuker . I still have a hankering for the new White , Pawn Shop Mustang ! I'm sure I've recently seen the Jap on sale for about £760 ! Mine cost me £400 (I think) in 2006 .
Just checked £739 at Thomann !!!!!

Edited by mike 110

[quote name='onemanband' timestamp='1362700130' post='2003736']
Since the original posting, I've had a trip into the "Long Scale - 5 string" territory.............biggest mistake ever!!
Didn't like the long scale and just couldn't come to terms with the "5-string thing" always mistaking the bottom B for bottom E resulting in bum notes being dropped in the band rehearsals.......not good!!!! Kept going back to my Gibson SG.
[b]SO[/b], i've sold the 5-string precision and bought one of the new [b]"pawn shop" Fender Mustang[/b][i]........WOW!!.[/i]absolutely superb; immaculate build & finish, excellent tonal variety and of course my beloved short scale!!
I shall re-string this bass with D'Addario Chrome flat wounds and then it will probably be my gigging 'bass of choice"
[/quote]
I got one too, last fri from Navada music,they had 3 in stock (one in each colour) I got the red one and it realy is the muts nuts. Its still got original strings on at mo as i am away working for a couple a weeks. Let me know how it is with the flats, prob guna get some black nylon tape wound flats to try on when i get back to uk. what colour did you get ? I tryed most of the fender range befor chosing the mustang and I have to say the feel, tone and finish was better than anything else i tryed, even beter than the American P that i have wanted for the last two years (and could never aford). This bass will be a long term keeper for shaw