Why become a member? ×

P bass split coils. Is it just me or…

richardjmorgan

… are they kind of the wrong way round?

I've just been doing a bit of rough recording with my Encore P, having not played it properly in aaaages, and the note definition on the bottom two strings, compared to the top two, is pretty awful (yeah, I know it's not a great piece of kit, but bear with me). In comparison, my Aria also has a split coil pickup, but with the coils reversed (i.e. the coil for the bottom 2 strings nearer the bridge). Given the tendency of the upper strings on basses to be a bit snappier in my experience, all things being equal, the latter ("wrong" way round) seems to make more sense, and give a more balanced attack across the four strings.

So is this just me being weird in terms of personal preference, is there a valid reason for the "normal" way round, or did Leo just get it wrong to begin with and it stuck like that? Being more of a guitarist than a bassist, I'd be interested to hear some input from those more knowledgeable than me.

[quote name='richardjmorgan' timestamp='1361472947' post='1986336']
So is there an actual justification for putting it the Fender way round (bass side further from the bridge), or is it just that it was done that way originally and most people aren't bothered enough by it for it to be worth changing?
[/quote]
Other things, like pick or fingers, playing by neck or by bridge, kind of strings, age of strings, EQ, etc., all make more difference than an inch in pickup position.

I had a Yamaha BB300 with the reverse P pickup. It sounded really nice. Because I didn't hear the pickup aligned the other way round, I can't say whether or not its "reverseness" was the reason why. My current Yamaha is a BB450, and its P pickup is the Fender way round. It sounds really nice.

It sounds like a nice theory but don't get too defensive, Fenderheads! Ultimately a bass either sounds good or it doesn't and there isn't a "right" and "wrong" in this.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1361475197' post='1986382']
Ultimately a bass either sounds good or it doesn't and there isn't a "right" and "wrong" in this.
[/quote]
Yeah, I totally wasn't suggesting there was - I assumed the fact I phrased my original post predominantly as a question would've been enough to convey this. Seems I've stirred up a bit of Fender rage though, which absolutely wasn't my intention!

[quote name='richardjmorgan' timestamp='1361475617' post='1986396']
Yeah, I totally wasn't suggesting there was - I assumed the fact I phrased my original post predominantly as a question would've been enough to convey this. Seems I've stirred up a bit of Fender rage though, which absolutely wasn't my intention!
[/quote]

I know you were merely being curious :)

I notice it on my Aerodyne but that is a PJ and the P pickup is closer to the neck than normal. For that setup at least I think it benefits from being reversed because the top strings have their pickup points close together, can sound nasally sometimes.

I think string tensions were generally tighter back in the day so perhaps less of an issue?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361540767' post='1987204']
It's a well known fact that P-Bass players only use the E and A strings on the first 5 frets, so it doesn't really matter which way around the pickup for the D and G strings is.

:-)
[/quote]

Yep. Another valid point. In fact, I sawed straight up the middle of my fretboards and removed the portion that has the D and G strings on it. Not only do I not need that bit it also takes away from the huge weight that is the Fender Precision Bass.

Edited by Hutton