Why become a member? ×

Where have all the Fenders gone?

Mornats

I was having a pre-GAS peek at some Fenders on DV247 (I quite fancy a Modern Player Tele Bass after playing one at Christmas, or maybe an Overwater Classic J, hmmm, so yeah, pre-GAS look!). But they've got none on their site at the moment, just some Squiers. Anyone know what's up?

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1361109741' post='1981127']
Cheers, I've found them elsewhere, it's just unusual that DV don't have any listed on their website any more. (Not that I'd order a Fender unseen due to their shoddy QC of course.)
[/quote]

I made that mistake last year, I ordered a Precision from Dawson's website and the truss rod hole was rusted and rounded off :lol:

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1361109923' post='1981129']
With that attitude why bother even looking at them :( :unsure: :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Because good ones are good in my experience and worth seeking out too. But I've tried several American Standard Jazz basses that went from superb (best bass I've played) to feeling worse than a Squier when playing it. It's too much of a pain to keep sending basses back to an online store until they send one that came of the factory as it should have. :) Unless of course you're saying that Fender QC is so shoddy that I shouldn't even bother with the brand ;) hehe.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1361112329' post='1981167']
Because good ones are good in my experience and worth seeking out too. But I've tried several American Standard Jazz basses that went from superb (best bass I've played) to feeling worse than a Squier when playing it. It's too much of a pain to keep sending basses back to an online store until they send one that came of the factory as it should have. :) Unless of course you're saying that Fender QC is so shoddy that I shouldn't even bother with the brand ;) hehe.
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a Squier Nats! :P Squier QC is probably more reliable than Fender actually... Every Indonesian Squier I have tried has been great!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1361112329' post='1981167']
...........to feeling worse than a Squier when playing it. [/quote]
Best bass I've ever played was my mate the session man's LPB Squier Precision which you've heard on countless 1980s records.
Cost him U$75 including a set of La Bellas and a gig bag. B)

Ohh yeah, actually that sounded like I was knocking Squiers there! I've played more great Squiers than great Fenders. I've never played a Mexican one that didn't feel a bit meh and I've played rubbish through to superb American ones. All Squiers have been good to brilliant.

But anyway... my main point was why aren't DV247 stocking Fenders anymore? Seems a bit strange!

I have the Mexican 50's classic Precision, it's a really early one and it is a real beauty, it has a neck profile like no other and is my favourite Precision, IMO it is leagues better than my Classic Vibe Precision although in itself it is an excellent bass. I also own a completely stock Mexican Telecaster which again it an excellent guitar. I know the Squiers are cracking guitars but I have owned ones that just leave me cold and unmoved. I owned a silver series Jazz some years back and just found it [size=4]e[color=#222222][font=Arial]xcruciatingly heavy and uninspiring to play.[/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]I think there are good and not so good examples of both Squiers and Mexican Fenders, I have also played a few Japanese and USA Fenders that I am glad I don't own.[/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial]If you pick up a guitar and 10 minutes later the salesman is trying to wrench it back out of your hands, it really doesn't matter what it says on the headstock it's probably a keeper[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Roger2611

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1361123872' post='1981411']
[font=Arial][size=2]If you pick up a guitar and 10 minutes later the salesman is trying to wrench it back out of your hands, it really doesn't matter what it says on the headstock it's probably a keeper[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Yep, definitely :) that's how I ended up with my Overwater. 45 mins after picking it up and I just gave the guy the asking price!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1361109921' post='1981128']
I made that mistake last year, I ordered a Precision from Dawson's website and the truss rod hole was rusted and rounded off :lol:
[/quote]

You were lucky, man! In my days, when buying a factory new bass, we'd be happy if only the paint had come off in obvious places!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1361123872' post='1981411']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]If you pick up a guitar and 10 minutes later the salesman is trying to wrench it back out of your hands, it really doesn't matter what it says on the headstock it's probably a keeper[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Hehehe. Sooo true. Exactly why I feel a certain Fender Jazz is coming my way soon. Just must get them to write a formal confirmation that no turned-around psychology was being used in the selling process. ;) :)

best,
bert

I just asked my mate who is manager of one of DV's branches about this and he simply said 'No more Fender'. I'm guessing this is something to do with the new dealership only model as mentioned above, meaning profit margins and prices are set by Fender.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1361709686' post='1989505']
I just asked my mate who is manager of one of DV's branches about this and he simply said 'No more Fender'. I'm guessing this is something to do with the new dealership only model as mentioned above, meaning profit margins and prices are set by Fender.
[/quote]

It's common practice within the music retail industry and has been for decades.

Gibson, Marshall, Yamaha... any well known 'premium brand' - they all follow the same model.

There may be more to it than that. Fender may be requiring DV to stock a certain portion of their range for example (I heard Line 6 used to do this). Fender may also be twitchy about DV stocking competing brands that would show up how poor some of their output now is!

Aye, I remember speaking to Fender a few years ago, when we were possibly interested in their acoustic and electro-acoustic mandolins. They would happily open an account for us, but only if we took more electric guitars than we carry electrics AND basses in total!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1361717913' post='1989694']
So, if I've understood this correctly, DV have spit the dummy out because they've been told to sell (or at least advertise) at a proper mark-up?
[/quote]

Possibly.
Not being part of DV it can only be conjecture.

The dealership agreements have a number of criteria that have to be met, price is just one of them.