Why become a member? ×

Monday night gig????

Dom in Dorset

We've been offered a gig at a well known venue in a town 30 miles away where the band we aren't known. The deal is that we are given fliers advertizing the gig, every punter who pays £5 to get in and hands in a flier we get £1 , basically lazy venue getting us plug away like mad and get people in on a quiet night.
Even if we leaflet every gig we play for six months I recon nobody will turn up.
We don't do it for the money (middle aged folky/originals band) but I couldn't be bothered busting a gut to play to (at best) five or six die hard friends and famillly that we have to nag into turning out.
I'm the only one in the band who sees it this way , am I being too pessimistic?

"if you bring in 80 people"
90% of fliers will be stuffed into the pockets of people who will make no effort to go and will forget all about it , 9% will think about going but forget/find some other excuse, 1% [u]might[/u] turn up , some of those [u]might[/u] remember their flier.
It's not about the money, I just can't see anyone turning up.
"But if it's in term time students will come" - they aren't going to shell out £5 to get into a venue on a monday night on the off-chance that the band that they've never heard of is to their liking.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1360709350' post='1975339']
"if you bring in 80 people"
[/quote]

I was being optimistic. :)

You're quite right though, many venues would struggle to get people to pay £5 to see an unknown band on a weekend night, but a monday night is a complete non starter.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1360747827' post='1975626']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/111461-why-does-no-one-buy-anything-on-this-site/"]http://basschat.co.u...g-on-this-site/[/url]

Wow, it's been going on for more than 2 years now ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha nice one :) He don't half get about...

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1360715663' post='1975479']
this gig is(?) in Bath , 61 miles from Poole, see you there!
[/quote]

I think I know where you mean..... waste of your time and effort. If you want to play in Bath there are a handful of pubs that will put you on a Friday night, no door charge and you'll get paid £130 or thereabouts.