Why become a member? ×

Fretless Joy

JohnFitzgerald

I had mentioned to a friend recently that I was looking to get a fretless.

He very kindly told me that their set this year doesn't involve any fretless so I shouldn't go buying one but could try his out. Take it away,use it, look after it, but don't buy one when you don't need to

What a great and kind offer.

So I picked it up and set to getting my eye in.

It's a Mex Jazz with line fingerboard, (or fongerboad as they used to say on alt.guitar.bass)
It's sporting some upgraded pickups, and that's it.
Wearing some flats too.

So, got my eye in this week and took it out today for a 6 rehearsal.
The owner was there too as he runs the rehearsal facility.

Had intended using it for a couple of specific tunes but ended up using it for the whole 6 hours.
Great for the mellifluous stuff, but also just generally great for everything.

The poor old Yamaha TRB5 sat unused on the stand.

The band loved the bits I had targeted for the fretless and everything else just worked fine too.

Anybody else just play a fretless for everything ?

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1360426743' post='1970198']....
[/quote]
Yep, I use a fretless for everything I play. I just don't get why you'd want to limit the freedom to express yourself by having frets instead. But I guess that's just an indication of how I like/choose to express myself - I avoid anything too plinky or slappy, whereas I suppose for some styles you need frets.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1360426743' post='1970198']

He very kindly told me that their set this year doesn't involve any fretless

[/quote]

Me too - great for you to get your friend's bass but what a wierd thing for him to say!

Yup, sold my fretted basses last year, just got my 'bitsa J/MM project bass with frets now. I use a custom Jazz bass for everything and love it. It can sometimes get a little bit 'close' doing chords up the dusty end, but that's just a practice thing.

Did I mention that I love it? I did? that's because I love it.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1360427856' post='1970238']
Me too - great for you to get your friend's bass but what a wierd thing for him to say!
[/quote]

He plays in a tribute band that covers some band that had an album out about the dark side of something or other.
Apparently this year is some sort of anniversary of that album and this year's set is very specific and to do with that album.

They do well out of it, but you don't ever ever go off piste. If there's no fretless, there's no fretless.
You stick to the script.

I do get his point, and was delighted for the offer.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1360428462' post='1970267']
He plays in a tribute band that covers some band that had an album out about the dark side of something or other.
Apparently this year is some sort of anniversary of that album and this year's set is very specific and to do with that album.

They do well out of it, but you don't ever ever go off piste. If there's no fretless, there's no fretless.
You stick to the script.

I do get his point, and was delighted for the offer.
[/quote]

Fair enough then - I'd still be tempted to use a lined fretless and see if anyone noticed!

I think this Fretless/Fretted bass thing only became really noticeable when Jaco became popular and everyone noticed (and it was often mentioned in reviews etc) that he played a Fretless bass. Before that i remember Bass players with a few popular groups played Fretless and no one ever mentioned it.

I use a fretless as much as possible. I still have the fretted ones that I use in some of the dodgier pubs we play in as a couple of them are at the low end value wise compared to the fretless basses I have.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360429091' post='1970286']
I think this Fretless/Fretted bass thing only became really noticeable when Jaco became popular and everyone noticed (and it was often mentioned in reviews etc) that he played a Fretless bass. Before that i remember Bass players with a few popular groups played Fretless and no one ever mentioned it.
[/quote]

Can you name them please, I'd really like to check them out.

Thanks,
Steve.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1360457135' post='1970875']
Here's a few;

Percy Jones
Boz Burrell
Rick Danko
Colin Moulding
[/quote]

Thanks Dave, I've never been into bass players and I don't know who played in most popular bands; I thought Jaco opened the fretless door - must stop believing what I heard years ago before google :unsure:

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1360443840' post='1970663']
Can you name them please, I'd really like to check them out.

Thanks,
Steve.
[/quote]

John Paul Jones
Paul Simonon
Geddy Lee
Boz Burrell
Rick Grech (Family)
Mo Foster
Stanley Shelton (Peter Frampton)
Patrick O'Hearn (Frank Zappa)
Bill Wyman
Jack Bruce
Larry Klein
Rick Laird

That's a few off the top of my head but there are many more that played fretless in rock.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1360443318' post='1970641']
I use a fretless as much as possible. I still have the fretted ones that I use in some of the dodgier pubs we play in as a couple of them are at the low end value wise compared to the fretless basses I have.
[/quote]
Dodgy pubs? In Lancashire? Never!

actually, just throw a stick... <_<