Why become a member? ×

"The Beatles!"

gsgbass

which reminds me of an ad i spotted on one of the local classifieds sites for band members - a young band looking for a new band member stating their main influence was the beatles followed by .... no screamers or grandads :lol:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360422170' post='1970120']
The most over-rated band in history :P

Very influential etc but I have never actually listened to 90% of their stuff. Not hostile, just never went there.
[/quote]

Interesting point but I guess, apart from all the screaming 15 year olds that wanted to marry Paul McCartney their talent and huge appeal really lay with the songwriting ability rather than the musicianship.

Very influential etc but I have never actually listened to 90% of their stuff. Not hostile, just never went there.
[/quote]

I know what you're saying and partly agree ........ although, if you have only listened to 10% of their stuff ..... how can you reach that conclusion?

[/quote]

An incredibly unaware statement. They influenced everyone who followed -- even you, whether you know it or not. Because anyone you listened to after 1965 was influenced by them in one way or another.

Bernstein called then geniuses. Herbie Hancock considered them the best composers of the 20th century and the worlds best bassists regard Paul as one of the most influential people to play the instrument.

Sometimes musically snobbery ironically backfires.

Edited by Lowender

As a side note, in All My Loving, the bassline continues a walking pattern which Paul plays all in first position utilizing open strings whenever possible. It actually makes negotiating the changes pretty awkward but it was most probably so he didn't have to look at his hands while singing. It's absolutely brilliant and the execution is brilliant. Absolutely effortless.

Not bad for a 20 year old kid.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360426823' post='1970199']
An incredibly unaware statement. They influenced everyone who followed -- even you, whether you know it or not. Because anyone you listened to after 1965 was influenced by them in one way or another.

Bernstein called then geniuses. Herbie Hancock considered them the best composers of the 20th century and the worlds best bassists regard Paul as one of the most influential people to play the instrument.

Sometimes musically snobbery ironically backfires.
[/quote]
So who influenced them ?
I find it quite unbelievable the way people who are really into the Beatles think this way. They were a good pop band, the thing they had in there favour was they are the first real pop band. Nothing more they really didn't invent everything that happened in music after they had made it, just think about it, that statement is just so silly.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360427253' post='1970216']
I don't dispute their influence, just think that it is not as 'essential' as is argued. That is the only thing I mean by overrated. They are unquestionabiy the most influential band in Rock and Pop.
[/quote]

I know a lot of great jazz musicians who say they were influenced by the Beatles. They changed music -- not just rock and pop. Rock and pop were nothing at all like what they did prior to their hitting the scene.

i neither like fenders or the beatles....i cant say there rubbish as they both very popular...i just think the davieses or the wilsons were far better song/lyric writers...the who were technicaly better band,the beatles just rode gravey trains...like a statement they pioneered psychadelia or prog.....pahleeesseee....moodys were there!! but each to there own i like others think they are overrated....

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1360427463' post='1970221']
So who influenced them ?
I find it quite unbelievable the way people who are really into the Beatles think this way. They were a good pop band, the thing they had in there favour was they are the first real pop band. Nothing more they really didn't invent everything that happened in music after they had made it, just think about it, that statement is just so silly.
[/quote]

Absurd. That's like saying Beethoven didn't really do anything different. He was just a good classical composer.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360427470' post='1970223']
I know a lot of great jazz musicians who say they were influenced by the Beatles. They changed music -- not just rock and pop. Rock and pop were nothing at all like what they did prior to their hitting the scene.
[/quote]
No Blues, Folk or Classical music around before this band then ?? You really believe ONE band changed everything !

Edited by bigd1

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1360427603' post='1970228']
i neither like fenders or the beatles....i cant say there rubbish as they both very popular...i just think the davieses or the wilsons were far better song/lyric writers...the who were technicaly better band,the beatles just rode gravey trains...like a statement they pioneered psychadelia or prog.....pahleeesseee....moodys were there!! but each to there own i like others think they are overrated....
[/quote]

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. Sgt Pepper is considered the first psychedelic/prog album. It was released before the Moddy Blues ever had an album out.

Edited by Lowender