Why become a member? ×

"The Beatles!"

gsgbass

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1360588830' post='1972772']
Be interesting to see how this turns out bearing in mind the experience of the performers, session musicians, studio crew in there today compared withe The Beatles of yesteryear.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21408897"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-21408897[/url]
[/quote]

I remember reading a review of an album of R&B covers of Phil Collins tunes that was only one line long---"worse than anything imaginable by the undrugged human mind".

I suspect that line might be reusable in this case. :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360589548' post='1972794']
But give me and 3 of my musically inclined friends virtually unlimited studio time in a state of the art facility. Give us a sympathetic producer and a team of engineers ready to pander to our every sonic whim. Feed us a diet of previously unheard music and the occasional mind-altering drugs, and then outside of the studio surround us with the cream of innovative artists spanning the whole spectrum of creative endeavour, and I'm sure that we could come up with a series of albums every bit as varied and interesting as anything the Beatles did.
[/quote]

Now there's a thrown-down-gauntlet!

If everyone on BC chipped in a tenner, we could make it happen :-)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1360581907' post='1972538']
When the Beatles came along they switched the lights on. Before that we were in the dark.[/quote]

I think that credit is taken by Chuck Berry & Bo Diddley; who between them elevated the guitar to a mainstream, commercial, lead instrument rather than just a backing part of a large group & gave Alan Freed a life. Without those two The Beatles could well have not even had the inclination towards being musicians.
They of course in turn cite T Bone Walker, Robert Johnson, Django Reinhart, etc.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1360588830' post='1972772']
How many of todays bands could record a first album of the quality like they did - 585 minutes!
[/quote]

I would hope any band which had the amount of live experience the The Beatles had by the time they came to do that recording, could do the same. After all in those days your didn't spend days getting the drum sound together. The band turned up to the studio and played. They had the sound the producer/engineer gave them and it went direct to the mono master. And that length of time would have given them the ability to do up to 10 takes of each song. Easy!

What always struck me about the Beatles was the truly remarkable output of great pop songs by ..mostly.. Lennon and Mcartney..and the mostly drivel that those two put out
as solo artists.
Now, either they were burnt out by the time of the split or someone else had input as well.. :lol:

No, seriously, who can the combined parts be SO much greater..IMO..than the 2 sums..??

If you didn't know the history, you'd be hard pressed to believe the same guys were involved.

To be truly great..you have to cross and tear down so many boundaries...and they did that, IMO.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360580378' post='1972503']
For me, Maxwell's Silver Hammer comes second to Octopus's Garden. IMO the mark of a 'great' album is the number of 'great' tracks, and Abbey Road does have quite a few 'great' tracks. Oddly, the White Album has a lesser percentage of 'great' tracks, yet it is probably my favourite. :unsure:
[/quote]
Hammer sounds by the late great Mal Evans.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360589989' post='1972808']
....I think that credit is taken by Chuck Berry & Bo Diddley; who between them elevated the guitar to a mainstream....
[/quote]

Sorry, but Chuck and Bo were hardly played on the radio in the UK until after the Beatles and, mainly, the Rolling Stones had begun to list them as an influence.

Blues and R&B was a minority and largely unreported music. Some Rock and Roll was on the radio but again, in 1962/3, in terms of radio play lists (the Light Program) it was very under represented.

Edited by chris_b

But give me and 3 of my musically inclined friends virtually unlimited studio time in a state of the art facility. Give us a sympathetic producer and a team of engineers ready to pander to our every sonic whim. Feed us a diet of previously unheard music and the occasional mind-altering drugs, and then outside of the studio surround us with the cream of innovative artists spanning the whole spectrum of creative endeavour, and I'm sure that we could come up with a series of albums every bit as varied and interesting as anything the Beatles did.
[/quote]
Sorry, but I think that post is almost on a par with:[i] I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.[/i]

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360590021' post='1972809']
I would hope any band which had the amount of live experience the The Beatles had by the time they came to do that recording, could do the same. After all in those days your didn't spend days getting the drum sound together. The band turned up to the studio and played. They had the sound the producer/engineer gave them and it went direct to the mono master. And that length of time would have given them the ability to do up to 10 takes of each song. Easy!
[/quote]

That's exactly the point - The Beatles were young with a load of live experience and could f**king play and write.
They then used that first major recording experience as the foundation block on which to build without tab, youtube, computers, fora, "music institutes" and all the crap of "instant band" that's around today.

And I, for one, still prefer the sound of live recording on vinyl. :ph34r:

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360592176' post='1972889']
Sorry, but I think that post is almost on a par with:[i] I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.[/i]
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by flyfisher

[/quote]

Yeah, but the Terrortones go up to 11!

[/quote]

If you forgot to put the winking smiley in then fair shout, otherwise it's, without doubt, the most ridiculous post I've ever read on basschat.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1360423192' post='1970135']
Interesting point but I guess, apart from all the screaming 15 year olds that wanted to marry Paul McCartney their talent and huge appeal really lay with the songwriting ability rather than the musicianship.
[/quote]
Eh? Are you serious...? :(

[/quote]

I'm not saying that I would be reproducing The Beatles back catalogue at all (which is what your analogy implies), but given access to the creative environment The Beatles had, and unfettered by the need to spend time doing non-musical things in order to be able to live, I see no reason why I couldn't come up with a series of albums of my own music that would be every bit as varied and interesting as the output of The Beatles was.

I'd like to think that every creative musician here on Basschat could do the same given those kinds of resources, inspirations and stimulations.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1360594415' post='1972945']
If you forgot to put the winking smiley in then fair shout, otherwise it's, without doubt, the most ridiculous post I've ever read on basschat.
[/quote]

Really?

Maybe you lack the imagination to be able to do that.

I don't.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360595844' post='1972976']

I'd like to think that every creative musician here on Basschat could do the same given those kinds of resources, inspirations and stimulations.
[/quote]

Every one of us here could be bigger than Jesus!

Job opportunity then, given that His HR manager has just quit.

I for one am happy to hold my hand up and say that given all the same backup the Beatles had in terms of studios etc I wouldn't be able to come up with a 100th of the catchy pop songs they did even if I wanted to. All that stuff are tools to channel the creativity through, you have to have the songwriting and creative spark to start with. I don't. I might be able to come up with some decent lyrics and the odd bass riff but would be about it. Mind you it worked for Geezer... ;)

Edited by KevB

Not really followed this thread, never was a Beatles fan except for maybe the odd Hari Georgeson track in the 70s.

Its 50 years last week since they played in Tamworth according to the local paper, supported by 2 bands one of which was probably just as popular locally as they were at the time.
[url="http://www.thisistamworth.co.uk/s-50-years-Beatles-came-town/story-18022953-detail/story.html#axzz2KbWqakeu"]http://www.thisistam...l#axzz2KbWqakeu[/url]

Interesting to note that in the next weeks paper, people were complaining about them turning up late, in the worst weather the UK has ever known, and only playing for 20 minutes. Mind you, Tamworth people are a bit militant even over 6/- (33 of these new fangled pence)

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1360596324' post='1972993']
I for one am happy to hold my hand up and say that given all the same backup the Beatles had in terms of studios etc I wouldn't be able to come up with a 100th of the catchy pop songs they did even if I wanted to. All that stuff are tools to channel the creativity through, you have to have the songwriting and creative spark to start with. I don't. I might be able to come up with some decent lyrics and the odd bass riff but would be about it. Mind you it worked for Geezer... ;)
[/quote]

But it's not just you.

Remember that there were 4 Beatles (plus George martin and all those working at Abbey Road) and they were most definitely much greater than the sum of their parts - as evidenced by the extremely patchy nature of their post-Beatles musical ventures.

Creative musicians inspire each other to ever better things, and even if you are the "Ringo" of the group your contribution is important to shaping how you sound.