Why become a member? ×

Anyone missed out on their Big Break.

Bassman Sam

Not me. But I know a drummer who doesn't mind a bit having being replaced milliseconds before a huge '80s singles band broke, but really, really minds his one-time musical partner taking their co-invented stage double act and turning it into a multi-million pound internationally franchised show, without giving him a penny in recognition, ever. Harsh business…

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1359769492' post='1960253']
Not me. But I know a drummer who doesn't mind a bit having being replaced milliseconds before a huge '80s singles band broke, but really, really minds his one-time musical partner taking their co-invented stage double act and turning it into a multi-million pound internationally franchised show, without giving him a penny in recognition, ever. Harsh business…
[/quote]

Ant and Dec? :yarr:[size=4] [/size]

[/quote]
Meh, who would want to be Orville anyway? :P

(AH GUUUUNK GNNUUUUWWWWWWWW!!)

[/quote]
How can a drummer be a musical partner? ;)

Not quite like the situation in the OP, but back in the mid 80s my band turned down the opportunity to work with William Orbit.

There's a bit more to the story so let me enlighten you...

In 1984 one of the high-tech musical instrument magazines ran a composition competition with two prizes, a Yamaha KX5 MIDI keyboard or a day in Guerrilla Studios with William Orbit producing. Many months after sending off our entry on compact cassette, we received a letter from the magazine telling us we'd won the day in the studio as they'd given the keyboard to the other winners.

We were not at all happy about this situation.

Firstly no where in the competition details did it say that the prizes were first and second, in fact they were billed as equal first prize, so to be told that we'd have to take the studio time because the other winners had already been given the keyboard was not in our opinion fair, especially when we had entered the competition because we wanted to win the KX5.

And secondly we were decidedly unimpressed with Mr Orbit's musical and production skills. His band at the time - Torch Song - had produced the rather cliched and weedy sounding synth pop song "Prepare To Energise" and we didn't think that he had the ability or vision to work with our much harder and heavier electronic sounds using distortion pedals and synthesised feedback.

Also one of the band had previously been involved in a similar situation with Dave Stewart that had ended poorly for the band when The Eurythmics hit the big time with "Sweet Dreams" and Dave's Stewart's involvement ended up being roughly 30 minutes of work on a mix that sounded less good than the demo which had got them to deal in the first place.

We went back to the magazine and told them that we didn't want the studio time with William Orbit and wouldn't settle for anything other than the keyboard as stated in the competition rules. It took over a year of wrangling and the threat to take them to court before they finally relented and we got our own Yamaha KX5. The magazine folded shortly afterwards...

So, did we make the right decision? In the short-term, yes. The band needed the keyboard and it made our live performances much better. In the long-term, who knows? It might have got us some useful contacts and been a stepping stone onto greater things. Alternatively William Orbit could have nicked all our great ideas for himself and we'd have been left with an unusable recording that didn't represent how we saw the band (and no keyboard).

However it was a potential opportunity missed.

The first proper band I played with back in the early eighties, we only ever did 3 gigs but we had recorded some stuff which seemed to have generated real interest, anyway gig number 3 was Aston university supporting a band aptly named Stress, we played in front of a packed crowd with a bunch of record company execs there just to see us.....before we went on we were kindly informed that said execs were there to see us and wanted to speak to us after the show....now as I said at the beginning this was very early eighties and the punk ethos was still strong at that point anyway 2 minutes before going on stage the singer and guitarist announced that it was uncool to have a record deal so they were leaving the band! We didn't have time to have a fully fledged punch up, went onstage where the opening words from the singer were " we are Subtafuge and this is our last gig"

I still listen to the songs from time to time and they are still the best stuff I ever played on... and the rest of the band... I was told the drummer took his own life some years later, the guitarist died in Austrailia about 10 years ago, never seem the singer since and last saw the rythym guitarist at a Pistols gig in London, long since retired from playing

[quote name='Dmanlamius' timestamp='1359814911' post='1960663']
Last year, my guitarist/singer/mate sodded me off to go and join 'The Voice'. He's the one that looked like Gandalf, played guitar, and was mentored by Tom Jones.

He's got nothing from it, screwed over his friends, and the media coverage hasn't helped him one bit.

I'm lucky.
[/quote]

Kris! Hello! Milton here :D I remember you telling me about this through youtube mail, i was watching your old band videos with Matt (his name was Matt, wasn't it?) the other night. You guys were good.

Aaaargh! I've missed out on loads...!

Band I was in at school (many moons ago!) kept plugging away with it long after i'd left and went on to have two top ten singles, and a top ten album plus toured the world etc.....

Another old band got a 5 kkkkk review of the album in Kerrang magazine and were offered a japanese tour and two of the guys didn't want to take the time off work to do it.....

One of my favourite bands of all time (signed to Sony) were looking for a new bassist and through a friend vaguely knowing the drummer I got an audition. They tried out twenty people and I was down to the final two but didn't get the gig because my backing vocals weren't up to scratch... particularly annoying as the old bass player didn't even do backing vocals!! And it would've meant supporting Smashing Pumpkins at Wembley!! Grrrr!!!

Another band had a bunch of songs written and through the singer's connections Maiden's Steve Harris and Sanctuary music were gonna record our album and release it. Literally the day before we were due to go down and start recording the plug was pulled on the whole thing by Sanctuary. Guitarist, drummer and singer now part of British Lion, signed to EMI and about to set off on European tour playing a few of those old songs....

Recent band started getting lots of good album reviews, radio play, decent gigs and even a BBC Maida Vale session - then the singer's wife joined on backing vocals.... need i say more!!?!
Guitarist from said band also used to tour with a signed band sometimes... one morning I get a text - 'how do you fancy some gigs in New Zealand, urgent ring me ' so i ring and... turns out he'd meant to text the drummer.... who then went and did a bunch of shows in NZ!

oh, and don't mention local boys The Darkness!!!!.....

For some reason i still stick at it but i do often ask myself why!! I know as well that it wasn't all plain sailing for the above mentioned bands... one ended up getting screwed by the record company who kept delaying the release of their fourth album until they ended up having to sign on or get proper jobs in the interim - by the time it was released tastes had changed and it didn't sell. Another did one more US tour and then split up anyway!

peace

C

Edited by 3V17C

I did offer my services to a local lad who i am sure you will all hear of soon enough. He was in a band, then went solo a few months ago (he's only about 16) and has already played in one of those "Oh look at how good the youngsters are these days" arts events to show to local councillors, recorded an EP, got hundreds of likes on Facebook (while my page has stagnated around the 30 likes mark for weeks :D). He has now promoted his page with a video and all that, which has thousands of views so far. Don't get me wrong, he really can sing, there is no doubt, but i just don't understand how he has propelled himself so fast into the limelight.

There's still hope, i think one of my mates is related to him, so if he asks him for a bassist, hopefully he will mention me :D I would love to start doing gigs (providing i am well enough) and if that happens it could lead to session work. But i'm not holding my breath.

Yep me too

I got an interesting email from a head hunter who gave me the opportunity to audition as bass player for the reunion on Bucks Fizz a good few years back.

A few heated conversations with my other half put a stop to that.

Probably wouldn't of got it but it would of been nice to have a chance of a break

Ah well such is life

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1359826541' post='1960877']
the opposite.

There have been several bands I auditioned for, who looked like they were gonna be successful (signed, name management, lotsa press etc) but after not getting the gig they all seemed to split up soon after.
[/quote]

So you jinxed them by auditioning? :P

I've not come across my big break yet, but a drumming friend of mine back in the day was asked to drum for 'The Adverts' he told me he said"No I don't want to play that rubbish" only for them to be on the old grey whistle test the week after. He then auditioned with Olivia Newton John who didn't want him because he couldn't sing(sounds like kermit) But he did get on the telly in the end playing with Elton Motello.
He's a bloody good drummer when hes not on the drink......which isn't very often.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359806951' post='1960519']Not quite like the situation in the OP, but back in the mid 80s my band turned down the opportunity to work with William Orbit.[/quote]

^ I've lots of happy (and quite trippy) memories attached to William Orbit and Strange Cargo 2 in particular. Shame that studio session didn't work out.

I've never had any real opportunities while playing in bands. But as a DJ I did once miss out on becoming a resident on one of the Megadog tours (mid-90s rave), which I suppose were a big deal on the dance scene at the time. Had it all set up by a mate of who worked at a London label and was the girlfriend of the tour manager. They split up a fortnight before my first gig and I got dumped along with her. I learnt then that the old 'who you know' saying rings true. I gave up on DJing, became a music journo and promptly slagged off that particular Megadog tour. Dish best served cold, etc... ;-)

About 20 years ago, when I was taking a break from playing, a mate of mine told me of a band who were auditioning bassists. I didn`t go, turned out to be Echobelly. Whether or not I would have got it, who knows.

And a few years prior to that, there was an advert up at college for a bassist. I didn`t go for that, as only had real cheap gear, and wasn`t particularly good at that point, so wouldn`t have got it anyway, but I went to see Motorhead and this band were the support - think they were called The Gun Runners if memory serves correctly.

Edited by Lozz196