Why become a member? ×

strange audience reaction

Chrismanbass

ok so i've just come in from a covers gig which was pretty un eventful really good audience, nice tight band, etc..

however as i was playing on stage i noticed a group of young guys sat down beside the stage making a w**ker sign at the band (not sure if it was me or the band in general) at first i was a bit bemused has anyone encountered this kind of behaviour before?

i mean fair enough i'm putting myself up on stage to be judged and they're entitled to their opinion of me or the band but seriously?

in the end my solution was to drop in some tasty fills, enjoy myself more than before and casually remind them as i left the stage they by drinking they were paying my wages

just wanted peoples thoughts really?

Edited by Chrismanbass

I think you reacted dead right.

There was absolutely no point in getting annoyed with them because it would just add fuel to their fire and the whole thing spirals out of control.

Once it's done that then, regardless of how professional you are, you're gonna be fighting a losing battle.

I've only ever had it once (we refused to play some tune or other because we'd never heard of it) and I just contented myself with the knowledge that if they were so bl**dy talented then they'd have been on the stage instead of us. :)

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1359768092' post='1960240']
ok so i've just come in from a covers gig which was pretty un eventful really good audience, nice tight band, etc..

however as i was playing on stage i noticed a group of young guys sat down beside the stage making a w**ker sign at the band (not sure if it was me or the band in general) at first i was a bit bemused has anyone encountered this kind of behaviour before?

i mean fair enough i'm putting myself up on stage to be judged and they're entitled to their opinion of me or the band but seriously?

in the end my solution was to drop in some tasty fills, enjoy myself more than before and casually remind them as i left the stage they by drinking they were paying my wages

just wanted peoples thoughts really?
[/quote]

I'm sure Dr.Dave will be along at some point to tell us what he does with people who make w***er signs while he plays :D

I had someone shouting "You're sh*t" after every song at an outdoor gig last August, so I took the mic and said "Well you can always f**k off and stop spoiling it for everyone else, can't you?"

The rest of the crowd just laughed at him, so he sat down and kept his mouth shut afterwards until we were packing up, when he came over and said "You're not really sh*t"

What a strange man...

w***er signs? I think you need to watch out for the flying (full) cans of Red Stripe or glass ashtrays which peppered my gigging days in dive bars back in the '80s: that's a sure sign the punters don't like you! Maybe the youth of today are a bit less violent?

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1359775494' post='1960273']
I had someone shouting "You're sh*t" after every song at an outdoor gig last August, so I took the mic and said "Well you can always f**k off and stop spoiling it for everyone else, can't you?"

The rest of the crowd just laughed at him, so he sat down and kept his mouth shut afterwards until we were packing up, when he came over and said "You're not really sh*t"

What a strange man...
[/quote]
I once had that years ago the reaction "Thanks dad" worked a treat. the guy laughed & was from then on on our side

I used to be in a soul band who played some holes. I never encountered this kind of abuse but we did used to get the odd nobcheese taking to the empty dancefloor early in the set dancing like a twat in front of his mates - you know the sort. The drummer would send us a signal and we'd all suddenly stop playing and look at said idiot. It worked wonders.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1359788778' post='1960286']
I once had that years ago the reaction "Thanks dad" worked a treat. the guy laughed & was from then on on our side
[/quote]

haha thats a good one again im afraid thats getting stolen

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1359800359' post='1960393']
Bigheaded w***er

;-)
[/quote]

noted back to root notes!
:)

I'm glad I can be of service. :D

This reminds me of a time I went to see a friend of mine who was playing an acoustic set, now she is a big lass & knows it, but apart from being a stunningly talented singer & guitar-player-ist she is also a stand up comedian, a bloody very funny one at that.

Anyway she comes on & and address the crowd with the initial banter like you do & the Inbreed wakes up at the back & wipes the drool of his chin long enough to shout "Get off ya fat bitch" ........She locks this monkey boy in her gaze & smiles......her set turns into a 10 minuet torrent of one liner insults that had the crowd literally in tears. After a while she asks him if he'd had enough smiled and said "Why am I asking ya I couldn't care less your still my bitch" then goes on to play a beautiful set with her gorgeous voice. It was one of them times when a crowd is really touched by her voice & went silent all the way through her songs.

The next guy comes on & says straight to the heckler "I bet you feel like a right prick now" even before he'd said hello.

Classic night :D

Edited by fumps

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1359768092' post='1960240']
however as i was playing on stage i noticed a group of young guys sat down beside the stage making a w**ker sign at the band (not sure if it was me or the band in general) at first i was a bit bemused has anyone encountered this kind of behaviour before?[/quote]

I think being called a Five Knuckle Shuffler in the UK is chicken feed compared to Mexico...
They take things a bit more serious when it comes to Band/Musician performance.

:blink:
http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-bodies-found-in-mexico-may-be-those-of-missing-band-20130128,0,3247925.story

Garry

More years ago than I care to remember I played a gig at an Irish club near Rotherham that had chicken wire across the front of the stage. As the manager said "If they don't like yer they tend to throw stuff". Closer inspection revealed where quite big "stuff" had hit the wire. Played the first set thinking "like us you ******, like us" Fortunately they did :)

Steve

In my punk covers band, The Daves - before I joined - they played a pub, and there was a bloke who kept booing after every song.

At half-time, the singer went to the khazi, and said bloke was in there having a pee.

So our singer goes "Boo, that`s a rubbish c*ck, boo".

Said bloke took it in jest, and explained "I boo everyone".

We now address him, to his face, as Boo Man.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1359815746' post='1960678']
In my punk covers band, The Daves - before I joined - they played a pub, and there was a bloke who kept booing after every song.

At half-time, the singer went to the khazi, and said bloke was in there having a pee.

So our singer goes "Boo, that`s a rubbish c*ck, boo".

Said bloke took it in jest, and explained "I boo everyone".

We now address him, to his face, as Boo Man.
[/quote] why would people do this?

as a complete polar opposite gigged again with the same band tonight did the same set and tore the roof off the place the audience loved it (we had them dancing on the tables) the management have booked us once a month for the next 3 months i gave out 15 business cards (all i had in my wallet) and we had complements all round

what a difference a day makes :D