Why become a member? ×

Roundwounds In - Flatwounds Out

Hobbayne

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359714300' post='1959090']
Surely only a blinkered bassist sees it as an either/or situation. Sometimes you are going to need to rounds and sometimes you are going to need flats. A truly versatile bassist has basses with flats and basses with rounds to cover all eventualities.
[/quote]

+1.

In most flats/rounds threads, I very seldom come across people who claim to like both.
Each type has it's own niche music.

Personally, I have a place in my heart (and my music ;) ) for both.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359739836' post='1959740']
For me it's exactly the same as the fingers or pick argument. You use the one that gives you the right sound and feel for the music. Easy.
[/quote]
I couldn't agree more. A bit like those who say "Oooh, you don't need any effects".

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359744952' post='1959852']
Well, [i]some [/i]people need effects! ;)
Actually I only posted that reply to be deliberately irritating, sorry. :)
[/quote]
'tis cool. It actually made me laugh. My sense of humour. :D

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1359723318' post='1959366']
In most flats/rounds threads, I very seldom come across people who claim to like both.
[/quote]

Love 'em both, use 'em both although I can't do a whole gig with a bass strung with flats as there isn't any replicating a roundwound sound with a flatwound string, at least not for me. The other way round I find it easier to get close to a flatwound sound with a roundwound string, but there will always be something missing.

I understood it was Entwistle who brought roundwounds to the fore and the Swing Bass strings were the result of his consultation with James How of Rotosound.

The rounds vs flats is not a competition of preference, in my opinion, more horses for courses. Playing old soul and Motown, for example, is going to sound modern and hifi with rounds, slapping, for the most obvious example, is not going to work well with flats. For me, it flats for the Motown P, Newtones on the 'Ray for everything else as I can zing away by turning up the treble and thud away with it turned down. Won't do the Motown like the flats on the P though.

Barely anyone uses Ernie Ball Flats. I've no idea why (maybe not boutique/cool enough) but I've been using some on Ps and Rays and they have a good medium tension (and you can get them higher tension), zing like round at the beginning, then they mellow and thump. Lovely smooth feel, easy on frets :)

If I have to be absolutely honest if you heard me play you wouldn't realise that I was using flats.

In fact most people think flats sound dull and lifeless

This is of course utter pishoir.

My two favourites are D'addario Chromes and Roto flats.

I just couldn't go back to the sharp, rough feel of rounds anymore or the few weeks use that you actually get out of them before they start going dull. Then you have to start EQing your amp differently to keep them going then give in and realise that they sound terrible then buy a new set.

Only had the Chromes a few weeks but the Rotos are 3ish years old and sound the same as when I bought them.

Consistency is what I love. I know that the sound I had last week is what I'll have in 6 months time so I don't have to keep turning round to my amp to adjust anything other than the volume

Does anybody know when instrument companies stopped supplying basses with flatwounds fitted as standard? I remember a thread about flats on Talkbass a couple of years ago and think somebody mentioned that it was the early 70s for Rickenbacker and Fender.

I like them both - I often wish I had two of a given instrument to have rounds on one and flats on the other.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1359805753' post='1960496']
Ah I see, so the thicker the string, the higher the tension, basically. I thought there might have been more to it. Or maybe there is.
[/quote]

There's lots more to it. Thicker strings doesn't always mean higher unit mass due to differences in materials and construction. Also when most players talk about tension what they actually mean is compliance which is affected by a lot more factors.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1359805753' post='1960496']
Ah I see, so the thicker the string, the higher the tension, basically. I thought there might have been more to it. Or maybe there is.
[/quote]

And when you are talking about a set of strings generally the thicker strings are lower tension than the thinner ones. In a standard 4-string set the G string will have a higher tension than the E.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1359804996' post='1960476']
Does anybody know when instrument companies stopped supplying basses with flatwounds fitted as standard? I remember a thread about flats on Talkbass a couple of years ago and think somebody mentioned that it was the early 70s for Rickenbacker and Fender.
[/quote]
I bought a new Fender Precision in 1976. It was factory fitted with Fender flats (no alliteration intended).

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1359811775' post='1960614']
I bought a new Fender Precision in 1976. It was factory fitted with Fender flats (no alliteration intended).
[/quote]

Why not , it's brilliant, trying to think how it could be incorporated into a song!
Better than 'recently replaced by Roto rounds'.