Why become a member? ×

Ignorant Band Members?

thebigyin

[size=4][quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1359705420' post='1958954']
...the guitarist is like this. he never has the time to respond to texts as he`s so busy. Yet has enough time to update facebook on how many sausages he had for breakfast...
[/quote][/size]
Well, you have to get your priorities right.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='WhoNeedsYou' timestamp='1359719064' post='1959246']
What about the ones that change your rehearsal arrangements so you have an extra hours journey (but they dont strangely) instead of arranging to meet half way....?
[/quote]

This has happened in every band I've ever been in. I've always had to travel much further than everyone else...I didn't mind the travelling too much, but the worst part is when they don't even recognise the extra effort you put in to get to rehearsals and gigs.

Hardly surprising really, is it? 'Musicians' are mostly completely deluded fantasists with a Messiah complex, egos the size of a planet and high levels of entitlement and expectation, generally undeserved.

Is it any wonder that they're selfish bastards as well..? :D

Edited by discreet

My regular band aren't bad on communication. We have a closed facebook group and that works really well. We also have a shared google diary so everyone can update their availability

My other band are a nightmare. It takes a mixture of texts, emails and/or phone calls to get through. Some folk don't read messages at all, some folk read them but don't respond with a simple 'OK'.

There's no way i could get them to go down the facebook route. We're mainly in our 50's and because I've worked in 'technology' for so long, I think everyone else is as familiar with technology as I am. Clearly not !

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359719485' post='1959255']
Hardly surprising really, is it? 'Musicians' are mostly completely deluded fantasists with a Messiah complex, egos the size of a planet and high levels of entitlement and expectation, generally undeserved.

Is it any wonder that they're selfish bastards as well..? :D
[/quote]

So we've met, have we..? :mellow:

This happens regularly to me. Not necessarily always with band members (though our drummer had, until very recently, a tendency to commit, lose his phone then not show up) but it does bug me.
If you're asked a simple question via text that doesn't take too long to answer you seriously cannot be so busy it takes you 10 hours to see it and reply. I get that excuse all the time while all throughout the day the person in question has been getting high scores on Bubble Witch Saga.

[quote name='BenMartinBass' timestamp='1359721225' post='1959288']
This happens regularly to me. Not necessarily always with band members (though our drummer had, until very recently, a tendency to commit, lose his phone then not show up) but it does bug me.
If you're asked a simple question via text that doesn't take too long to answer you seriously cannot be so busy it takes you 10 hours to see it and reply. I get that excuse all the time while all throughout the day the person in question has been getting high scores on Bubble Witch Saga.
[/quote]
when people use the excuse that they're too busy, whether it's answering texts or practising a new song, what they really mean is they'd rather be doing something else

I don't know what Bubble Witch Saga is - and I don't want to know - but I'm going to use it as an excuse from now on. Not to avoid any musical commitments, but to avoid the usual weekend chores at discreet villas, thus:

The current mrs discreet: Have you done [insert chore] yet..?
Me: I'll do that in a minute - I've just got to get a high score on Bubble Witch Saga.

It'll confuse everyone just long enough for me to run off and hide in the shed.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1359725120' post='1959407']
when people use the excuse that they're too busy, whether it's answering texts or practising a new song, what they really mean is they'd rather be doing something else
[/quote]

Not true. My mate who was the guitarist in the band had to leave his phone in the safe in the office of his work, because he worked with lathes and mills, it was too much of a risk using it on the shop floor. He frequently forgot to take his phone out of the safe after work and i would often get a text the next morning at about half 7 apologising and then a response to whatever i had sent.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1359650490' post='1958255']
Our drummer only got a mobile so he could talk to his bit on the side after years of slagging everyone off for having a mobile Only switches it on when he wants to talk to someone and doesn't do texts 'cause he doesn't know how too. I suppose that's because he's a drummer.
[/quote]

It's alright.
Blackmail him into keeping his phone on by threatening to expose his sordid affair on a well-known bass-player's forum.......

Ah, well. Another plan bites the dust :(

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1359726847' post='1959447']
Not true. My mate who was the guitarist in the band had to leave his phone in the safe in the office of his work, because he worked with lathes and mills, it was too much of a risk using it on the shop floor. He frequently forgot to take his phone out of the safe after work and i would often get a text the next morning at about half 7 apologising and then a response to whatever i had sent.
[/quote]
that's not quite the same thing, it's not that he's too busy its that he can't have his phone with him, if people can't be bothered, they more often than not say they're too busy, if you really want to do something you'll make the time, in my experience anyway

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1359728132' post='1959477']
that's not quite the same thing, it's not that he's too busy its that he can't have his phone with him, if people can't be bothered, they more often than not say they're too busy, if you really want to do something you'll make the time, in my experience anyway
[/quote]

I don't reply to most texts when i'm at work, and we are allowed our phones on the floor. I might reply at lunchtime if i find a minute between drinking and eating. If i haven't replied by then, i would as soon as i finished.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1359644968' post='1958156']
No - it's great.

But when all you need is a 'yes' or 'no' from six or seven people, and you have a life to get on with, a group text message wins every time.
[/quote]

exactly, plus it leaves a trail, and details can be rechecked later without having to call someone or be called for the third time "so, are we meeting at 8 or 9?"

Over the years I have found that a lot of musicians are not very good verbal communicators . I have worked with many ( too many , in fact ) lead guitarists who were monosyllabic introverts , keyboard players who were men of few words and drummers who were just plain thick . I have a theory that an inability to communicate with language is a big part of why some people turn to music as a way to express themselves . Unfortunately , even the greatest guitar solos cannot substitute for a concrete arrangement to be in a certain place at a certain time to do a certain thing , and a good communicator with less musical ability can end up being preferable to an awkward virtuoso .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359741275' post='1959775']
Over the years I have found that a lot of musicians are not very good verbal communicators . I have worked with many ( too many , in fact ) lead guitarists who were monosyllabic introverts , keyboard players who were men of few words and drummers who were just plain thick . I have a theory that an inability to communicate with language is a big part of why some people turn to music as a way to express themselves . Unfortunately , even the greatest guitar solos cannot substitute for a concrete arrangement to be in a certain place at a certain time to do a certain thing , and a good communicator with less musical ability can end up being preferable to an awkward virtuoso .
[/quote]

Yes, i really struggle to say what i mean. Might no appear that way, but in normal conversation, i trip myself up so much it's stupid, and i can't believe that somebody hasn't told me to stop being a bloody eejit and talk like a regular person yet. And i can pick up a guitar or bass and play something which expresses how i feel.

A good example of this is John Frusciante. The man can hardly string a couple of words together anymore, but he can easily let you hear what he means, or sing it.

I'm one of those Luddites who does not have a mobile phone ( shock horror )
I stay in touch with band members by landline and our weekly rehearsal and now even by that new e-mail thingy .
All the bands in the 60's 70's and 80's. seemed to survive just fine without a mobile phone .
When I have to endure some other person having a conversation on a mobile phone , the majority seem to be entirely without fact or substance , so I'm quite happy as I am .
PS , never missed a gig or a rehearsal , I use a calendar .

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1359756364' post='1960071']
I'm one of those Luddites who does not have a mobile phone...
[/quote]

That's because you live on the Isle of Wight - it's still 1974 there. :P[size=4] ;)[/size]

Edited by discreet