Why become a member? ×

So what's a high c string good for anyway?

nobodysprefect

Here's a trailer for a musical theatre production by rank amateurs - law student's at my faculty - for which I'm the MD. Called to create music, I whipped out a chord progression - arpeggio inversions, really - I'd come up with and played two solos on top of it and picked the better one. Me, I think the result proves that sometimes a high c string is worthwhile.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xainYWAwV7k[/media]

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1359584458' post='1957225']
You'd be surprised me matey...
[/quote]

It probably wouldn't surprise me if I were auditioning for a pub rock band, but I thought most the civilised world had moved on to knocking 11 string basses now? It hardly seems that a 6 string is even considered an ERB anymore.

11 strings... Eh, I dunno, never felt the need for more than 6. That's how Leo designed it. If you want to play that many strings, you should play a sitar or a harp. Anyway, you don't need more than 6 strings to play the money notes anyways.

Frankly, though, I don't think I could develop the technique or stamina necessary to swing an 11 string. Or a 7 string, really. My pinkies are really short and a 19mm six is the absolute max I'm comfortable with, with practise!

I had a 6 myself for a few years so I appreciate they can sound good, but it never did become a popular instrument - I still only ever see them used in pretentious metal bands (the sort who come up with a convoluted genre classification for their music before they actually come up with any songs). And like it or not most bands will roll their eyes at you if you turn up with one.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1359589067' post='1957347']
I had a 6 myself for a few years so I appreciate they can sound good, but it never did become a popular instrument - I still only ever see them used in pretentious metal bands (the sort who come up with a convoluted genre classification for their music before they actually come up with any songs). And like it or not most bands will roll their eyes at you if you turn up with one.
[/quote]

Chaka Khan is pretentious metal these days? Andrew Gouche is one of the hardest grooving cats you'll [i]ever [/i]hear and he mostly plays an MTD 635...

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1359586135' post='1957280']
If you want to play that many strings, you should play a sitar or a harp. Anyway, you don't need more than X strings to play the money notes anyways.

[/quote]

Ah, those are the sorts of quips I remember being aimed at 6 string basses all those years ago.

I got to the stage last summer (when i only had a four string) where I was writing basslines for my new band, and it soon became evident that a low B string would make life easier.
So far, I've never felt that the lack of a high C string has been holding me back. I can see situations where it would be beneficial, but they just don't apply to me at the moment.

All depends on what sort of player you are. Some don't need a high C, some of us don't need (or know how to use a low B :) ).

The bad ass MF in this band uses a 6 string and having seen him play live, he's awesome.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/willeandthebandits?feature=watch"]http://www.youtube.com/user/willeandthebandits?feature=watch[/url]

Edited by Marvin

Thanks for the compliments!

I guess we're backwards here in Finland. I've heard some guitards (sic) tell a bassist that they need a Real (preferably vintage 4-string) Fender, none of that Sadowsky clone crap. And the amount of lip I get (from other musos!) for playing the sixers at weddings! Thing is, the two musicians I've played with more than half my life with really appreciate the fact that I can comp or play kontrapunkts or solo or play a nice intro or outro up there. And then there's the usual 'we play lots of stuff in Eb or have to transpose to accommodate a vocalist.' So I realized playing a six was the way [i]for me[/i] to serve the needs of the trio.

Then I found out going between five and six really mucked up my playing and it's been all sixes from there.

To answer my own question, I don't think I've ever heard a chord played on a, d and g strings sound the same as one using d,g and c. There's a different sonic quality and if you want that nylon string-ish tone, you'll need thinner gauge. Also, where in the scale you play has famously a huge impact on the tone - who of us is free of the carnal sin of playing something up the neck on E or A string? It's got [i]that tone[/i] in a good way.

Edited by nobody's prefect