Why become a member? ×

30 years old and mint as a mint thing Fender....

LukeFRC

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1359712434' post='1959060']
....just...why. why would you do that, especially if it actually is a USA P bass :blink:
[/quote]

Why does anyone do anything? Why do women shave off their eyebrows, then draw them back on with a pencil? Why does young master discreet finish off the milk, then put the empty carton back in the fridge? Answers on a postcard please.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359725797' post='1959425']
Why does young master discreet finish off the milk, then put the empty carton back in the fridge? Answers on a postcard please.
[/quote]

because the bin is full and he doesn't want to empty it, or he has left a tiny bit in the bottom to safeguard his excuse of not actually having finished it. Same as the step-vaders do.
Hope this helps :)

If that finish is brown burst (which I think it may well be) then there is every possibility that this is a genuine 83 P Bass. The white pup covers are also a clue. However, the butchery that has gone on here diminishes my soul to the extent that I am now going to have a lie down in a darkened room with a cold compress pressed to my brow. :sad:

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1359712434' post='1959060']
....just...why. why would you do that, especially if it actually is a USA P bass :blink:
[/quote]

Perhaps because they wanted to increase the variety of tones available and they weren't bothered what people might think in two or three decades. Should have bought a better bass in the first place.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1359733248' post='1959583']
If that finish is brown burst (which I think it may well be) then there is every possibility that this is a genuine 83 P Bass. The white pup covers are also a clue. However, the butchery that has gone on here diminishes my soul to the extent that I am now going to have a lie down in a darkened room with a cold compress pressed to my brow. :sad:
[/quote] I've no doubt it is a genuine 83 P bass, it's just been butchered!

• 2 weeks later...

So I found myself in Denmark Street at lunchtime and wandered into Wunjo's. Hang on, I recognise that pickup configuration. And sure enough (for it was he) it was our old friend the butchered '83 Precision, only now rather improved with a pickguard and having been properly re-wired.

Up close and personal, the 3TS is far better than the awful photo in the Gumtree advert suggested. Out of sheer monkey curiosity I took it down for a closer look, and found that it was delightfully lightweight.

There was a guy slapping enthusiastically on the other side of the shop, so I contented myself with playing acoustically and discovered that the vibrations through the upper horn into my rib-cage suggested that the bass was absolutely 'singing'.

Eventually he stopped slapping, so I got five minutes through an amp. Bloody wonderful. That crazy '51 type pickup by the bridge which looks utterly Godawful makes perfect sense when you play this bass.

Left the shop and headed down the pub to meet friends. Couldn't stop thinking about the butchered P.

Went back to Wunjo's and spent another 20 minutes on the bass, then pulled out my chequebook.

Sorry guys, I bought it.

It's an absolute gem. If I haven't got a use for it right now, then I'll bloody well find one. :D