Why become a member? ×

New singer!

LemonCello

After a long search, we finally have a new singer in the shape of Katie - 20 years old and a proper 'rock chick, loads of personality and really likeable'! Auditioned her on Saturday and she came with the songs learned and can really belt them out! Great attitude, very musical and she 'fits in' (no prima donna attitude).

So...looking forward to gigging with her out the front. She's been singing in bands since she was 14 so although still young, has a fair amount of experience and has some important venue contacts. Any other bands here with a female singer, how is it working for you? A lot of the songs we do will be arse about face gender wise but we don't see that as an issue.

We've been very 'picky' about our singer and reckon we've got a cracker, but this has been after auditioning a lot of 'also rans', no shows and good old fashioned idiots.

Happy Days,

LC

We have a female (backing) singer in The Tuesday Club. Most of the lyrics, gender-wise are written from a male point of view (as it`s the male lead singer who writes them) but they are a bit offball, so it would take a fair bit of analysing to get what he`s on about sometimes, so there`s no problem with The Minx hollering them out. And being at least 6 foot 3 in her Russian army officers gear certainly gets some notice.

Considering a lot of rock (well certainly 'classic rock') male vocalists pitch up into the female range it's no bad thing getting someone who sits naturally in that range from the off to do it. With any luck you won't have to be continually moving down keys from the originals as happens with some male fronted bands. The lyrics thing might get a bit awkward but a few subtle adjustments of gender where specific in songs isn't too difficult and just avoid the ones that are so obvious 'man sings about woman' stuff. Mind you even Winehouse made no attempt at changing the Valerie lyric when it clearly makes no sense singing it from a woman's POV (unless Valerie was bisexual). Hope it works out.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1359453272' post='1954846']
Considering a lot of rock (we certainly 'classic rock') male vocalists pitch up into the female range it's no bad thing getting someone who sits naturally in that range from the off to do it. With any luck you won't have to be continually moving down keys from the originals as happens with some male fronted bands. The lyrics thing might get a bit awkward but a few subtle adjustments of gender where specific in songs isn't too difficult and just avoid the ones that are so obvious 'man sings about woman' stuff. Mind you even Winehouse made no attempt at changing the Valerie lyric when it clearly makes no sense singing it from a woman's POV (unless Valerie was bisexual). Hope it works out.
[/quote]
Witness Ringo Starr singing 'Boys' from The Beatles First Album :D

Worked with one female singer before - certainly brought a lot of attention to the band (particularly from blokes), despite having some dire timing issues (we'd be on the verse of any given song and she'd still be halfway through the chorus). Nice girl though, and had a decent voice.

Now I think about it I was in a female fronted covers rock band for a while and I don't think we bothered changeing lyrics much either. I don't think it's really an issue for 99% of the audience so not a priority for the band either. IIRC we covered Lizzy's 'Rosalie' among other very 'blokeish' tunes.

Edited by KevB

Apart from that one entirely inappropriate comment, I appreciate your views guys. The only song that she is struggling with at the mo is Under the Bridge - RHCP, and we might have to adjust the key on that one but the rest she's absolutely fine with.

We've been playing the wrong landing chord at the end of the verse on Have a nice Day and she spotted that right away last Sat, so she knows her stuff. A good find I reckon.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1359468257' post='1955172']
Glad it's not just me that doesn't get it!! I thought I was just being thick!
[/quote]

Think I may get what this means, but hoping I'm wrong, and keeping quiet over here thanks.
:)

Good luck with your new singer LC, sounds excellent.