Why become a member? ×

Whose other half doesn't like it?

thinman

[quote name='Shockwave' post='202540' date='May 20 2008, 12:30 AM']My fiance hates any of my basses thats sunburst. But i love sunburst. Otherwise she doesant really get bass, She knows its important to the song but cant really stand to hear it on its own without a band. Or maybe its because i cant play![/quote]
:) It's clearly just your basses, man - remember what mine said about them!

My girlfriend just has a lovely respect for what i do really! She even put a deposit down on a bass for me as my valentines day present! Beats a heart shaped hot water bottle eh!

Shes always at our gigs dancing and selling CDs for us. awh shes ace she is *mushy*

My Wife was the band leader on the gigs I met her at. She was married to a piano player at the time but she soon realised that bass players tend to have more in the nether regions and decided to switch supporting instrument (missus)
She still gigs sometimes but knows the score with me, I have after all payed the mortgage with gig money so she knows the value.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='202693' date='May 20 2008, 10:50 AM']I was thinking of starting one of these topics. I’ve got a massive problem…I am constantly getting moaned at for music/band/bass related things that take time away from me hanging out with her. I get accused of purposely arranging band practise at a time which is inconvenient to her as she “might have wanted to do something” with me. Then I get moaned at because I’ve not told her long enough in advance about a gig next month or something and she throws a hissy. When I try to arrange practice sessions and gigs around what will suit her I then get accused of purposely changing stuff to annoy her so she can’t “plan” anything.
It’s not like I’m actually doing that much with the band at the moment – we practise on a Monday and Wednesday evening from 5 till 7, and that’s only because that’s the time we can practise for free. Were not even playing gigs yet cos it’s a completely new band – first gig on 10th June btw.
We’ve been together for about 2 years now so it’s not like she doesn’t know what I’m about because in that time I’ve played X number of gigs with about 4 different bands.
Not to mention the financial side of it…

moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan etc...

But apart from that she’s a great girl and loves me playing piano to her :huh:[/quote]

hehe sounds very familiar. except we only practice once a week on a monday night, we gig rarely, my amp now lives at the practice room cos she hated it in the house, and it was pointless me having it there anyway cos she gets the hump if i so much as pick up my bass in the house so it sits in the corner of the living room in its bag. not worth the hassle getting it out.
she has been to a couple of gigs and seems to enjoy it but kinda just ignores/refuses to get involved with my bass stuff. oh and whoa betide me if i try and buy stuff. :)

My wife loves the band, but the following things put her off:

1) She hates being left on her own at gigs so won't come unless she arranges it with a load of pals. We live miles away from the gigs, so getting mates to agree to come all that way isn't always easy.

2) Due to my busy job and long commute, we don't always get a lot of time together on weeknights. I don't get home until about 1am on a Tuesday after rehearsal and that leaves me knackered and grumpy for the rest of the week.

3) She hates, as others have mentioned, the last minute date changes etc for gigs that we have to work around.

She doesn't play any instruments, but is surprisingly musical. When I practice and play a bum note that most people might not spot or think is jazz (sorry Bilbo!), she laughs her head off. It can bring you back down to earth pretty quickly from your "I'm James Jamerson" dream!

Having said all that, I love her to bits and wouldn't trade her in for anyone else. Her face when you are playing a known bassline and warbling over the top, singing to her (without bum notes ) is worth it. To me.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='202735' date='May 20 2008, 11:45 AM'].... whoa betide me if i try and buy stuff[/quote]

I love that phrase (I think it's actually "woe betide me"). My parents used it all the time. I think I was probably in my thirties before I even had a inkling as to what it actually meant :)

My wife is wonderful. Her life revolves around music too (she's a Music Therapist & plays piano, clarinet, guitar & sax) and she fully accepts that music and playing music keeps me sane. She answers all my music theory questions and I manage to regularly update my collection of basses without too much resistance. In fact she has in the past provoked me to buy a bargain Spector or two....

She can identify a Spector, Fender P, Fender Jazz, Rickenbacker and Stingray...... and points them out to me.

She comes to many of my gigs, fully supports me & even packs down my basses and helps load the car/van.

basically, she's great and I'm extremely lucky :) :wub:

My Wife's a keeper. The Guitarists girlfriend was moaning at a gig, about how often he had to rehearse, gig, etc., and the Wife took her to one side. (I listened! :huh: ) She said "When you met him, he was a [i]Musician[/i]. Before he met you, he was a [i]musician[/i]. If you ever leave him, he'll be sad, but he'll be a sad [i]musician[/i]. Always keep in mind that the [i]musician [/i]part is non-negotiable, and you'll get along fine. She doesn't know I heard her, but she's chuffed that I'm fitting her Bathroom Suite this week, with NO complaints! :)

On the flipside, you KNOW a girl is interested if she asks about your basses. I gleefully spend several hours pointing out the benefits of various systems and by the end they are powerless to resist.

I have no complaints about my wife of 22+ years. She tollerates the bass playing although she prefers it when I play the violin! We (the family) have taken over her dining room and turned it into a music room with my bass gear, my son's drum kit & tuned percussion plus a piano and assorted violins.

She will come to gigs despite not being into the heavier rock music I am bless her and harbours an urge to learn the sax.

I have been trying to convince her that the 23rd Wedding Aniversary is the Rickenbacker Anniversary, but she said it's not listed as such on the tea towel (note to self - consider knocking up a list of suitable bass anniversaries).

Anyway she's lovely and I wouldn't swap her for anybody!

Alain

The future Mrs Zero has actually called a moratorium on bass (and other) purchases until we're in the house, due to lack of space. There has been a certain flexibility to the moratorium, it must be said. Still, I can hold out till the end of May...

Not only does she approve of my bass playing, she also thinks I'm good. Which is nice. As two of the bands are bands that we're both in (her calling and me on bass in the barn dance band, her singing and me g*itaring in the acoustic duo), she doesn't miss any of those gigs, and the only gigs she misses of the covers band are when there's a booking conflict or when we can't get a babysitter [1]. One room of the house is to be used as the computer and music room (which it was before, in fact, but that was when the former Mrs Zero was in residence). And she wants guitars and basses on display in the lounge and dining room. So I'm happy with her, and she's almost happy with me (it's the genetic predisposition to untidiness that she has a problem with).

[1] Why do they still get called "babysitters" when the baby in question is 12?

[quote name='tauzero' post='202866' date='May 20 2008, 02:15 PM'][1] Why do they still get called "babysitters" when the baby in question is 12?[/quote]

...they still get called babysitters when the baby is 15, is about 6ft, plays rugby in the back row of the scrum and gives his (6ft3) Dad a hard time in "mock" Dad/Son battles for supremacy! I think referee would be a better description for this age group!

Alain

My missus hates me playing bass. F*cking hates it.

Each night, the only time I get to practice is when she goes to brush her teeth before bed. Hence I'm a terrible bass player.

She bought me my first bass, but is totally unsupportive.

Not just in bass, but in eveything I ever do.

Lucky me.

My girlfriend says she loves people playing music, but doesn't seem 100% interested in me playing bass. She bizarrely preferred the brass and sax on "Come On, Come Over" instead of the bass :S, I don't understand that at all, same when I stick on some James Brown.
Though she didn't seem too happy that I was working on my bass instead of spending time with her, which is quite understandable.

My wife has zero interest in any of my music or any instrument that I play. She moans that I play all evening hidden away in our utility room, but all she ever does is sit infront of the TV!

Apart from that we get on great on all levels! I just wish that she could appreciate my music a tiny bit.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='203207' date='May 20 2008, 08:08 PM']An ex once yelled at me 'You love your bass more than me!' Guilty as charged.[/quote]

I’ve had that…but it’s from the ‘current’ one.

I got a hard kick in the shins once for introducing one of my ex’s as “my current girlfriend”. To be honest I thought it was funny, and honest :)

She's ok with that.
Knows that I'm close with my billet.
Comes to my gigs, supports morally.
Believes, I'm quite dedicated to bass and music generally. And quite good at those.
Has quite special taste on music which is quite a mistery to me at the mo :)

Guest MoJo

[quote name='shaundixon666' post='202534' date='May 20 2008, 12:19 AM']Surprisingly my girlfriend encourages me to play bass and go to band practices and what not.[/quote]

That's because she has Big Reg round on rehearsal nights :)

Edited by bassman2790