Why become a member? ×

Pair of BOLIN / NS (Ned Steinberger)

warwickhunt

The pair are up for sale but I'll only be selling one of them, as soon as one is sold I'll keep the one that is left... and I don't mind which one, even though I LOVE the piezo tone of the green one! The Orange one was bought 2 years after the Green (both imported from original distributors Melobar Guitars in the USA) as a back up but it has NEVER been gigged or left the house (hence the sale of one of them). I am the first and original owner of both of these basses.

Not the recent NS line of headless basses, these are as a result of a collaboration between Ned and John Bolin (builds guitars for ZZ Top, Stones etc.). They have the same open headstock design as Ned's EUB and the design is very neat and tidy. Bassist magazine voted this design of bass as the best fingerstyle bass that they had ever reviewed; that is subjective but I have to say they are gorgeous to play and hear, one consideration is that while they are fabulous sounding basses I have never found the slap tone brilliant (I've never needed to tweak them to try and get a good slap tone but I'd have thought that you can)... but then I never slap so that's OK!. They feature a very neat 'swivel' top strap attachment which means that they hang beautifully and the centre of balance is brought back towards the player, whereas a Single-Cut bass might be a bit pushed away.

Both basses have identical construction with any differences noted below; bolt on neck, with two of the bolts mounted @ 45 degrees to increase neck stability (and they are rock-solid). Maple necks with ebony fingerboards . EMG active pups with 18v system Vol/Pan/Bass/Treble/Sweepable-Mid. They both have a full round profile neck which is between Jazz and Precision width (for those who like to have a reference, though I've tried Jazzes that are as full and chunky as some P basses).

Neck is coloured the same as the body and headstock and lacquer finished.

Neck is finished solid black like the headstock
Piezo equipped - with independant volume and centre detented tone control.

Both basses come with the original Bolin cases that are moulded internally to fit the bass snug. The Orange bass is literally as new and though the Green bass has been gigged it is in excellent nick with some finger swirls above the rear pup and the odd 'tiny' ding or mark (being honest and it'd be hard to photograph any marks).

Green - £1400
Amber - £1300

Delivery would be at cost and I've no problem boxing them up BUT I'd rather do a face to face deal as they are pretty rare and I'd hate them to be damaged.

Edited by warwickhunt

I 'think' (and I'd love someone to chip in otherwise)this is the only pair of 4 strings in the UK. I've owned the 5 that has sold on here a couple of times and I know of two other 5's but not seen or heard of another 4 string in the UK.

Between these, the Dingwall and the 'Flowerpower' P bass I've got to make a sale soon! :lol:

when I first heard you talking about them years back I went and looked up what they were.... this thread has a lot of info for your potential buyers... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/official-bolin-ns-design-info-registry-889478/

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1359205544' post='1951516']
Between these, the Dingwall and the 'Flowerpower' P bass I've got to make a sale soon! :lol:[/quote] you would hope so!

Really surprised to see these for sale. I had a black five string which I traded on here, and whilst I love the Modulus Sweet Spot I got for it, I really miss the Bolin. Not mentioned above is the fact that they feel very light and certainly don't feel like you're playing a 35" scale bass. Good luck with the sale, somebody snap one of these up!

[quote name='graham1945' timestamp='1359217163' post='1951757']
Not mentioned above is the fact that they feel very light and certainly don't feel like you're playing a 35" scale bass. Good luck with the sale, somebody snap one of these up!
[/quote]

Ooops many thanks for the reminder; I should have mentioned the weight... light! ;)

In fact the 4 stringers are 34" but they actually player like a medium scale bass due to the way that the upper-horn/swivel takes the strap point out to near the 12th fret. Also worth mentioning is the fact that they aren't slab/flat fronted, they are actually arch-topped so that the centre section is slightly thicker than the outer edges. The flame is actually a top as the back is alder which contributes to the tone.

<edit>

If there are interested locals, I can take these to the next local Bass Bash or to my gigs in the NE (The Guide Post in Springwell tonight! ;) )

Edited by warwickhunt

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='bassgurumonster' timestamp='1407020677' post='2516775']
Trades?
[/quote]

Probably unlikely that I'd want to keep any bass traded (as I am trying to clear a few out) but if it was such that I could reasonably expect to put the trade straight back on BC and get the price that was traded, then maybe. I'm not trying to be hard-nosed as I'd be very open about trade values but in the past I've had people wanting to trade and expecting to get WAY above realistic values, knowing that there instrument wouldn't/couldn't sell at that price in a month of Sundays! LOL

In short though... hit me up. :)

<edit>

One bass I might have considered was a Sadowsky (or similar quality) Precision bodied bass with PJ or possibly even JJ pups! Other than that nothing... that I can think of! :lol:

Edited by warwickhunt

• 9 months later...