Why become a member? ×

I lost my mojo somewhere in the 80's

morsefull

I can commiserate with the OP. Quirky originals bands can be more forgiving on the eye in terms of band members but not so easy with basic covers bands. I have a possible audition coming up for a covers band where all of the other members look around mid 20's judging by youtube clips. I'm pushing 50 and have the gut to prove it these days. With the best will in the world it is always going to look like one of the band members has drafted his dad in to make up the numbers. I've seen it in other bands from an audience point of view and it does look a bit weird. They don't play the sort of stuff that over the top stage outfits (like BRX's band) would be appropriate for either. I'll give it a go but i think this will be one of the factors in my deciding to take it on if offered the job (well that and they seem to like a lot of Coldplay ;) ).

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1359025875' post='1948561']
...all of the other members look around mid 20's judging by youtube clips. I'm pushing 50 and have the gut to prove it these days. With the best will in the world it is always going to look like one of the band members has drafted his dad in to make up the numbers...[/quote]

The stark juxtaposition of ages is always going to make this situation worse. Even though the band I'm in are all roughly the same age (53/54), they haven't put on any weight over the years and still look good on stage, whereas I, er... have been 'no stranger to the sweet trolley' and look a bit 'big-boned' by comparison...
...mind you, I've still got all me own hair and it hasn't gone grey yet, unlike the singer... ha, ha, ha! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='morsefull' timestamp='1358975636' post='1948086']
I'm bald, fat , 52, currently in a good covers band[/quote]

I'm almost 52, almost bald and 20lb overweight (does that count as fat?) and I, too, play in a covers band with four lads in their late 20s/early 30s. (we used to have a 20-year old female drummer before the current one).

I don't try to be cool. If I wore what they wear, I'd look daft. They wear what we used to call baseball boots, so I wear what we used to call Chelsea boots. they were short sleeve shirts over long sleeve T-shirts, where I tend to wear both short sleeves, or a long-sleeve shirt over a T-shirt.

I also don't think most of their humour is funny and put up with being the butt of more than a fair share of their jokes (sometimes on stage - in Buck Rogers, the singer has changed the lyrics to "I got a haircut etc... it's not his problem" while pointing to me).

However, because the singer is a good front man (which includes plenty of over-the-top stage antics), I've started to move around a bit. Not dancing exactly, but swinging my arm when holding a note, bending over when doing a fast run in time with the guitarist's palm-muted chords and what not.

Must be working, because I have been asked (by the singer and lead guitarist) on more than one occasion to bring my wireless kit to a gig so I can move around the stage more to give the band more visual impact.

Both my daughters have seen me gig and have brought their friends. i don't think either would have done that (a second time, anyway) if they thought their dad was embarrassingly uncool!

Moral: Don't try to be what you're not. If you're having fun, show it, but don't try to put on an act which isn't sincere. Do it for yourself, not for what anyone else thinks you should be doing it for.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1359028454' post='1948611']
...sometimes on stage - in Buck Rogers, the singer has changed the lyrics to "I got a haircut etc... it's not his problem" while pointing to me...
[/quote]

:lol: [size=4]I'd certainly pay to see that.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359028709' post='1948616']
:lol: I'd certainly pay to see that.
[/quote]

I have to ham it up by shaking my head ruefully.

The singer actually changes quite a lot of words in the songs to make them more personal to the band. Some work better than others, to be fair.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1359036135' post='1948776']
Have to admit that for the last 15 years or so, how old are you ? has been the first question I ask when answering ads for Bass Players.
[/quote]

Probably the least important thing AFAIAC.

I'm far more interested in how good the songs are, the other band members as people and musicians, and making sure that everyone has the level of dedication to the band.

Very true. Trouble is, a lot of people judge others by their age.

A lot of bands advertising round here are teenagers who think they're going to be stars and assume a 50-year old won't blend into their line up. They may be right!

My main band don't seem to bother about the age gap, other than to make fun of me as a result of it. The only time it ever causes a problem is when we're choosing songs to cover. I've never heard of many of their choices and they don't think my choices would go down well in the pubs we play in. Even though the people in the pubs vary from being in their 20s to their 70s. My gap between their ages and my daughters is about the same as between them and me, yet my daughters recognised every sone we play (and some date from the 1950s), so I think it's unfair to pre-judge which age group would like which songs.

In my other band, the guitarist actually lied to a potential new member of the band by saying that we are all in our 40s. (I'm in my 40s if you take VAT off.)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1359025875' post='1948561']
I can commiserate with the OP. Quirky originals bands can be more forgiving on the eye in terms of band members but not so easy with basic covers bands. I have a possible audition coming up for a covers band where all of the other members look around mid 20's judging by youtube clips. I'm pushing 50 and have the gut to prove it these days. With the best will in the world it is always going to look like one of the band members has drafted his dad in to make up the numbers. I've seen it in other bands from an audience point of view and it does look a bit weird. They don't play the sort of stuff that over the top stage outfits (like BRX's band) would be appropriate for either. I'll give it a go but i think this will be one of the factors in my deciding to take it on if offered the job (well that and they seem to like a lot of Coldplay ;) ).
[/quote]

But you look like Ian Gillan!
I am sure I have seen a picture on here somewhere that proves that, but haven't got time to find it.

Unlike silddx, who obviously keeps discreet's photos close to hand! :lol: :lol:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1359038762' post='1948852']
But you look like Ian Gillan!
I am sure I have seen a picture on here somewhere that proves that, but haven't got time to find it.
[/quote]

Ian Gillan's [b]67[/b] years old. Cheers Shell, keep digging! ;)

Edited by KevB

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359037857' post='1948823']
Why on earth do you do that?
[/quote]

Up to others what they do, personally I wouldnt be comfortable playing with people who are a lot younger than me, but yknow, each to his own. Been with the same band for 3 years now, one of the ones I tried out for before that were in their mid 30s. I got the gig, but wasnt over keen, then te guitarist commented that they might get 3 years out of me, so I declined.

My 'music age' is only 56. I'll be happy to carry on till I'm 70+ but thecurrent band seems to be fizzling out a bit, I dunno what I'll do if it breaks up. My 'other' band aint doing anything much gig wise either.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='morsefull' timestamp='1359051829' post='1949129']
What's the betting I'll lose the weight and they'll say it's made me look old and haggard !
[/quote]

That's right - I reckon my youthful unlined face is due to me putting a bit of weight on every year - smooths out the wrinkles!
If I suddenly lost five stone I'd probably just shrivel up into a pile of dust like Dracula at daybreak!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359052588' post='1949146']
That's right - I reckon my youthful unlined face is due to me putting a bit of weight on every year - smooths out the wrinkles!
If I suddenly lost five stone I'd probably just shrivel up into a pile of dust like Dracula at daybreak!
[/quote]

You could just purse your lips tightly and blow out your cheeks like a trumpeter couldn't you? Same effect/look? :ph34r: :P

I'll be 40 at the end of the month. Most of the people I've been playing with over the last year have all been in their very early 20's (some in their late teens) and didn't give a hoot I was in some cases old enough to be their Dad. :unsure:

I haven't got a mojo either. After we had kids it's like any attempt to move convincingly in time with any music disappeared. :(