Why become a member? ×

TC Elec BH250 recall thing experience

Jimryan

Morning all,

Read about the recall last night. Within 12 hours it's already taken an interesting turn.

Read about the recall, followed all of the instructions. Read the webpage, the proceeded to contact the relevant TC support team.

This morning I have a reply from TC support. To arrange a replacement or repair I need to contact my local TC dealer. So, emailed Nevada Music. Just rang them to confirm (and to speed things along :-p) and have been informed by them (apparently from their TC rep) that its not something they'll be able to deal with, and instead I should get in touch with TC elec support and they'll sort it.

Not even midday and I've already been sent in a circle :-S

Matey at Nevada is going to ring the rep again, call me back and then I'll let y'all know.

James

Edited by Jimryan

I'm not so much as mad about it (I'm used to early runs having faults from having iPhones). I'm more annoyed at the inconvenience of Nevada music not informing me or helping out as you'd expect a decent music shop to. I've a few gigs coming up and this is my only amp. I've always thought of having a spare head a mad idea, now I see the logic.

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1358861012' post='1946127']
I've just emailed a centre in Sheffield that deals with their UK based repairs and the TC Support team. I'm pretty mad about this, why can't stuff just work the first time.....
[/quote]

Throughout history, stuff has broken.

I say good on TC for taking it on the chin and being open about it.

Just want to quickly chuck this out there...

This has in no way altered my view on TC gear. I still think it's fantastic stuff and as W.O.T has stated, fair play to them for being honest about it and acting on what's happened. Things do break, early runs are bound to have problems regardless of how good a manufacturer you are.

All in all, TC, your gear's brilliant and I hope this is sorted quickly.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1358862432' post='1946162']
Throughout history, stuff has broken.

I say good on TC for taking it on the chin and being open about it.
[/quote]

I see what your saying her mate, but stuff shouldn't be prone to breaking when it's been out no time at all. Yeah, good on TC for recalling it, that's responsible, but make sure things are right at source, then they will save themselves the trouble of having to recall god knows how many units!? It's just a major inconvenience, not just for me but for many other TC users.

As Jimryan says, I still really like TC, but it has somewhat tainted my view of them. I always used to think when I saw product recall signs in the shop windows 'thank god I didn't buy one of those!'

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1358865160' post='1946235']
I see what your saying her mate, but stuff shouldn't be prone to breaking when it's been out no time at all. Yeah, good on TC for recalling it, that's responsible, but make sure things are right at source, then they will save themselves the trouble of having to recall god knows how many units!? It's just a major inconvenience, not just for me but for many other TC users.

As Jimryan says, I still really like TC, but it has somewhat tainted my view of them. I always used to think when I saw product recall signs in the shop windows 'thank god I didn't buy one of those!'
[/quote]

Boeing spent $32bn developing the Dreamliner - and, as has been very clear from the news, even that amount of development spend won't overcome all issues.

Things being right at source is a fallacy. No manufacturing process is that efficient; and no development process is even remotely close. Like the expression, even the best laid plans can go wrong - you make best endeavours, honest effort, to ensure everything is right; and should it go wrong the best thing to do is be on the front foot about it.

I think it's credit to TC to be seen to be getting on top of this. I hope it is genuinely resolved.

I mean, there are plenty who would bury their heads and let users struggle on - this is a pretty mature response, if they're committed to doing it well.

Everything is amazing, believe me.

I found this amp, ordered and paid for it, tracked it's delivery and even configured it once it arrived using my phone. This morning the manufacture (TC) warned me (via my phone) about a defect it had and told me it was under recall (to fix or replace it) and I hadn't even got out of bed yet, I hadn't even asked anyone to tell me. Pretty cool I thought. Within 10 minutes I was able to work out what to do about it (request replacement), and initiate the request (still using my phone) before the supplier had even got to the store themselves (I suspect). Now I await their reply. Just now I watched a bass lesson on my phone and then jammed (using my amp) to tracks on my phone (that I could have also played through my amp from my phone).

10 years ago I would have been astounded at this stuff and I guess I still am a little.

[quote]
Hi James,
no not yet. I've just tried to ring but the person I spoke to is based in the Danish HQ and due to time differences the lady has gone home. I've been given a direct line and email for her so I'll try again tomorrow.
[/quote]

So you've left it until now to try and contact them? Of course they're not at work in Denmark, you're leaving work ourself?!?

Had the issue been looked into when the issue was first brought up, we'd have some kind of answer by now.

[/quote]

From the description of the problem elsewhere on BC it doesn't sound like a 'hard' problem, i.e. it's a nut that MIGHT work loose and then rattle around inside the case. So, more of a potential problem that they are trying to actually prevent.

If I was an owner, I'd give the amp a gentle shake to see if I could hear anything rattling around inside. If not, it's probably OK and I wouldn;t panic to get it fixed as soon as possible but leave it until it was a more convenient time.

Actually, if it wasn't for warranty concerns, I'd probably just open the case, remove the offending nut, apply a bit of threadlock and replace it.

I've had my eye on the BH250 for a while and this hasn't put me off.

[/quote]

I used to work in manufacturing. Its far too easy to say "get it right before it ships". Sometimes things happen that you could never, ever have predicted. For instance, you buy a whole load of parts from a supplier and test them to death during your prototype and design phase. All is well. You move to full production and your supplier's supplier makes a change to a component and doesn't bother telling anyone (this happens!). Or the new guy at your supplier sends you 8,000,000 steel plated ball bearings instead of 8,000,000 solid steel ball bearings and because they look identical nobody notices the problem.Suddenly your fully qualified parts are not the same as they used to be and its months before the failures start. Oh-oh.

Edited by uncle psychosis

I just talked to Absolute music. They tell me that TC keep changing their minds about how to get it replaced (direct to TC or through the dealer). I am now waiting for their returns department to contact me. Mine sits on top of a 210 but never leaves home and doesn't get played anything louder than 10 o'clock so if there are loose nuts they probably haven't been encouraged to fall off yet. I will wait to see what happens.

Edited by V4lve

Maybe I was being a bit 'hot headed'. The BH250 is a great amp and I love mine, so I was just probably a bit more frustrated that it was going to be out of action for a while. In a turn of events, I'm sending mine to Real Electronics in Sheffield (I have to pay the postage) and they'll make the repair.

I know what people are saying about the manufacturing process and the impossibility of things being right 100% of the time. This to me, doesn't make it right. For companies that invest god knows how much in R&D to release a product, that has to be recalled a few months later, should be covering every angle. I could understand it more if it was a cheap, tacky product, but it's not. It's a reasonable price, but still £235 is a lot of money to me and I'm sure many other people.

Anyhow, rant over, it's happened and I respect TC for being so open about the whole situation.

Just walked into nevada and handed it back. The guy in there was still trying to push the "send it back yourself so we don't have to provide after market customer care" angle, but he took it. Absolutely no hint on a lead time as Nevada "have lots of orders to deal with" and because apparently TC haven't told them a thing about it.

Hopefully it'll be a quick turn around.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1359031676' post='1948673']
Just walked into nevada and handed it back. The guy in there was still trying to push the "send it back yourself so we don't have to provide after market customer care" angle, but he took it. Absolutely no hint on a lead time as Nevada "have lots of orders to deal with" and because apparently TC haven't told them a thing about it.

Hopefully it'll be a quick turn around.
[/quote]

Heres hoping BUT dont hold your breath ....

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1358941627' post='1947295']
I know what people are saying about the manufacturing process and the impossibility of things being right 100% of the time. This to me, doesn't make it right. For companies that invest god knows how much in R&D to release a product, that has to be recalled a few months later, should be covering every angle. I could understand it more if it was a cheap, tacky product, but it's not. It's a reasonable price, but still £235 is a lot of money to me and I'm sure many other people.
[/quote]

I have to say, this attitude [i]really[/i] annoys me. It seems to appear any time someone has a problem with a product - someone immediately comes out with a line to the effect of 'well obviously the engineers aren't doing their jobs properly.'

A company with the size and reputation of TC will employ some very experienced, very talented people. You'll probably find they also don't employ nearly as many R&D engineers as you expect. I have no doubt those engineers are kicking themselves over this, and yes, it is embarrassing for the company. But to have Joe Bloggs accuse them of failing to do their job is quite frankly rude.

I'm sure you're familiar with the saying 'sh*t happens.' It does. Frequently. Even to engineering and R&D departments.

I worked in manufacturing for 20 years on the shop floor and managment level and sometimes no matter how much care is taken or how much development is done things do go wrong.

It is how the company responds in regard to the issue that shows you what kind of company they are. I hope that youz get your problem ressolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

How about setting up a temporary thread for amp loans? There are some superb people on here.
If somebody has their TC away for repair, they put up a post on the thread for where they are and when they need an amp to bail them out?
I am sure plenty of us will help a local member if we can.
Cheers,
Karl.

I'm happy - I contacted TCE - logged a ticket; they responded saying contact UK (Real); contacted Real raised a RMA; requested they arrange courier to pick up, courier came this afternoon and picked it up.

Just wondering how long until I get it back. Hopefully it will be open it up, check bolts, apply loctite, re-assemble and send out by courier.