Why become a member? ×

fitting a bolt on neck back on ??

hamfist

I am in the process of possibly buying a bolt on bass from someone overseas. They are offering to send the bass in a state with the neck taken off from the body, as the shipping will be easier, cheaper and safer for them as the bass does not come with a hardcase.
I am somewhat nervous about this as I would worry about not fitting the neck back on properly. Is it an idiot-proof procedure, just a few screws ? Is the torque on the screws critical ? I wouldn't want to strip the thread in the wood.
Would appreciate your thoughts. Electronics I'm pretty good at but this aspect of guitars would be new to me.

As above - just don't overtighten! you may crush and crack the finish around the neck plate ( seen on a lot of fenders). Also find out if the neck has been shimmed and get a photo of it sat in the pocket - to help you get it back in the right place..

Depends on the neck, if it's been removed a lot of times the thread may be a bit knackered so go easy on it. For example, 60s Fenders have the truss rod adjustment hidden at the heel of the neck and the neck has to come off a couple of times a year for adjustment. After 50 years of that the threads can go a bit soft.

Basically do it up reasonably tight and try it, if the neck moves around and goes out of tune when you knock the bass then tighten it a bit more.

Worst case scenario: the thread gets stripped in the neck but this isn't too difficult to fix.

Edited by Fat Rich

Apologies if this comes across as patronising, but better to err on the side of caution...

Make sure you tighten the screws up evenly. I've seen people assemble things by inserting one screw at a time, fully tightening it, and then moving onto the next screw. This always ends badly---better to get each screw started, then tighten them up evenly a few turns at a time. This way you should get a nice tight, even fit.

Edited by uncle psychosis

Useful tip for seating the neck:

Refit as described above, when the strings are on and have some tension - slowly undo the screws ( in diagonal order) about a quarter turn, until you hear the neck 'click' back against the body. You can then centre the neck by aligning with the strings and re-tighten. The intonation will need looking at after this...

Instant sustain and tone upgrade! I do this to all my standard boltie guitars and basses.

Edited by OldG

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1358851975' post='1945914']
Useful tip for seating the neck:

Refit as described above, when the strings are on and have some tension - slowly undo the screws ( in diagonal order) about a quarter turn, until you hear the neck 'click' back against the body. You can then centre the neck by aligning with the strings and re-tighten.

Instant sustain and tone upgrade! I do this to all my standard boltie guitars and basses.
[/quote]

Good advice, although I wouldn't try it on my '78 Jazz as the neck pocket is routed so badly I'd end up with a short scale bass. There's best part of a centimetre gap all around the end of the neck under the pickguard. :blink:

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1358862249' post='1946154']
Good advice, although I wouldn't try it on my '78 Jazz as the neck pocket is routed so badly I'd end up with a short scale bass. There's best part of a centimetre gap all around the end of the neck under the pickguard. :blink:
[/quote]

Ah...I did say this is for a standard set up. Obviously check before trying this on something you haven't fitted the neck to.... :happy:

I'd be packing that gap to make a nice tight fit if it were mine...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358837760' post='1945733']
I am in the process of possibly buying a bolt on bass from someone overseas. They are offering to send the bass in a state with the neck taken off from the body, as the shipping will be easier, cheaper and safer for them as the bass does not come with a hardcase.
I am somewhat nervous about this as I would worry about not fitting the neck back on properly. Is it an idiot-proof procedure, just a few screws ? Is the torque on the screws critical ? I wouldn't want to strip the thread in the wood.
Would appreciate your thoughts. Electronics I'm pretty good at but this aspect of guitars would be new to me.
[/quote]

After reading all of the replies, I'd strongly suggest you also read 'How to Shim a Neck' on this site under 'Repairs and Technical' -- it's easily found at the top of the forum. Forget about the 'shim' part; the article has solid step-by-step instructions, with photos, for re-bolting a neck.

tg

At tip with the screws - I find putting some PVA wood glue on them is a really good thing to do. It doesn't glue the screws in at all, but creates a harder than wood thread for the screw to sit in and be screwed out of. Every screw I put in wood I do this with. Makes them much easier to remove, more difficult to damage by over-tightening and less likely to come loose.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1358862249' post='1946154']
[/quote]
Ahem, I am not saying anything regarding Fender routing issues lol. Last time I had an angry mob with flaming torches at my house screaming "kill the monster".

Some very good advice here regarding the question posed. I would not recommend the luthier option as this is total overkill. The beauty of bolt on necks is that they can be removed and then re-applied easily.

Piece of cake. I would have no issues with accepting a bass posted in this way.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1358863277' post='1946185']
Ah...I did say this is for a standard set up. Obviously check before trying this on something you haven't fitted the neck to.... :happy:

I'd be packing that gap to make a nice tight fit if it were mine...
[/quote]
[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1358893465' post='1946866']
Ahem, I am not saying anything regarding Fender routing issues lol. Last time I had an angry mob with flaming torches at my house screaming "kill the monster".

[/quote]

Despite having a comical neck pocket it's one of the best Jazzes I've played. Being a 3 bolt micro tilt it's got 1 proper bolt plus two normal neck screws and is cranked up really tight, doesn't seem to move around although maybe it's the pickguard doing all the work. :D

[quote name='BOD2' timestamp='1358862875' post='1946174']
Some pictures here, if you scroll through the thread..... (ignore the first part about adding a shim)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/49897-how-to-shim-a-neck/"]http://basschat.co.u...to-shim-a-neck/[/url]
[/quote]
This was the guide I used when I shimmed the neck on my Westfield. It was the first time I had ever done it and I was nervous. This guide made the whole thing simple and has given me the confidence so that if I need to do it again in the future I wont worry about it.

So many thanks.

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1359049425' post='1949090']
I've bought a bass off here with the neck off, I was surprised how small the package was when I went to pick it up from the depot! Least you would know the possibility of any major damage would be minimised that way.
[/quote]

yeah, it's a good way to transport it if unsure about packaging.

I took a bass, a Jazz, to Spain like that, in my luggage. Then I just reassembled it, and ready to play.