Why become a member? ×

Anyone seen this? Ashdown Content...

eude

Ashdown have been leaking some of the new gear they're launching at NAMM 2013, some of which looks really cool, a 15W all valve head for studio/home useage, a 2.0 version of the MiBass head rated at 640W with a simplified preamp, but this has really caught my eye...

From Mark Gooday's Facebook page >>
Wjotek Student amp
240w 1.7 kgs , as loud as f*** 360w music power just fantastic our own version of Class D not the stuff that shots down, not limited just bass
This is rack mountable , Ground Lift ,DI, Speakon jacks and tiny
A little surprise for NAMM built to Wjoteks spec

I'm forever considering moving on my Promethean to replace it with an Ashdown micro head and I like this a lot!

What's your thoughts Bass Chat?...

Eude

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1358786503' post='1944974']
I wonder if the 'Student' tag is going to be reflected in the price?
[/quote]

It's a nice thought!
The new MiBass 2.0 seems to replace both current models and comes in at £399, so I have high hopes that this will cost a bit less...

Eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1358788353' post='1945014']
Ashdown. LOL.

Why can't they just come up with a good-looking amp that wins on all fronts, market it properly and stick with it for a while?
[/quote]

I think that's pretty cool looking personally.
I think they have their core range, ABM, MAG etc which hasn't changed much for a long time, and with the rest of this stuff they're just seeing what sticks. I think it's nice to see some new stuff fairly regularly, personally.
I just wish they would do something a bit cooler with their cabs...

Eude

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1358789749' post='1945054']
Actually, I'm tempted to spring for a micro head, I've tried the MiBass but wasn't too impressed. Hopefully this'll sound a bit more lively as I sort of like the way it looks...
[/quote]

Ditto with the MiBass 550 I had for a while. And yeah, me beginning to likey. I hope the production units aren't so fuzzy and more in focus (audibly and visually lol)...

Hmm... Looking at it more closely, that front panel is [i]very[/i] similar to the current MiBass heads - Same EQ section, Active, Shape(?), EQ switches. The Deep switch and Line In level appear to be missing. Wonder if that means they're just re-using the same preamp with a proprietary Class D power amp?

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1358786503' post='1944974']
That's not an Ashdown. Where's the VU metre? :P

Actually, kinda like the look of it. I'm guessing 240W @ 8 ohm, 360W @ 4 ohm? I wonder if the 'Student' tag is going to be reflected in the price?
[/quote]
I'd imagine that's 240w at 4 ohms. 'Music power' is usually the sort of Mickey Mouse designation spirited up by marketing departments to make things sound more impressive.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1358810041' post='1945614']
I'd imagine that's 240w at 4 ohms. 'Music power' is usually the sort of Mickey Mouse designation spirited up by marketing departments to make things sound more impressive.
[/quote]

That kinda adds up if its 240W rms, 360W peak.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1358801083' post='1945381']
I like the look of that! But confused why they need to update the MiBass already though...
[/quote]

I think the MiBass "1.0" was a little fractured, there wasn't a big enough price difference between the 220 and 550 models and I think the original list price of the 550 was a little too high, to compete with MarkBass and GenzBenz they need to undercut to get people's attention.
I think this might be why they consolidated it to one model.
They should really rethink their Mi10 cab too, it should be 8 Ohms, not 4, very very silly...

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1358802056' post='1945415']
Maybe they're looking for something that ticks all the boxes like the Ibanez Promethean did, which became a classic amp pretty quickly. The MiBass and the little giants etc haven't.
[/quote]

I think you're right, they're trying this until it sticks. They hit the class D market VERY early on, which everyone seems to forget, with the Superfly head, they also came out with super compact lightweight cabs to match and a 1x10 combo with a removable head (ala Promethean >> http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/28202-ashdown-superfly-c10h-large.jpg ), but I think they were a little too early with it, as it didn't seem to catch on till GenzBenz did it with their Shuttle range.
I love my Promethean, but I love new stuff too and I really would like to have an entirely British setup, my basses are by ACG from Moffat, Scotland, my cab is an EAD, from Chorley and I would love a head from the UK too. Having said that, the Promethean leaves some pretty big boots to fill, whatever I end up with it will need to be reasonably powerful and have the all important, DI, aux in and headphone out, I can't live without that now!

I really like the look of this new "Pie" head, and pie for that matter, but it might just be a prototype, as I guess it kind of muddies the water a bit alongside the new MiBass 2.0.

Eude

The Pi looks interesting, but the MiBass 2.0 is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

For a start, they have removed everything that made the MiBass 1 interesting (parametric mids, separate lo and hi mid controls etc), and left us with this 5 knob box.

Also, it is not 640W. It is 400W RMS (640W Peak), and that raises some suspicion from me tbh. Why would they quote the peak wattage?

Ofcourse, if it is good then all is fine with me, but it is a shaky start.

Edited by jackers

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1358851479' post='1945906']
The Pi looks interesting, but the MiBass 2.0 is a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

For a start, they have removed everything that made the MiBass 1 interesting (parametric mids, separate lo and hi mid controls etc), and left us with this 5 knob box.

Also, it is not 640W. It is 400W RMS (640W Peak), and that raises some suspicion from me tbh. Why would they quote the peak wattage?

Ofcourse, if it is good then all is fine with me, but it is a shaky start.
[/quote]

I prefer a bit of simplicity, but I think it's a mistake to not include low mid and high mid controls. Perhaps its some kind of clever tone stack thing though, like they have on the tube series amps...
400W would be more than enough for me anyway, but you're right, cheeky even mentioning 640W.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1358852932' post='1945927']
I prefer a bit of simplicity, but I think it's a mistake to not include low mid and high mid controls. Perhaps its some kind of clever tone stack thing though, like they have on the tube series amps...
400W would be more than enough for me anyway, but you're right, cheeky even mentioning 640W.

Eude
[/quote]

To be fair to Ashdown, it seems like a lot of companies are getting increasingly cheeky with their quoted power ratings. At least quoting a peak value as opposed to rms still has a basis in fact, and isn't a pure fabrication as some amp makers seem to be guilty of!

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1358859780' post='1946089']
My Superfly amp is rated at 500 watts and is about equal to my MAG 300 for clean punch. This simple [too simple] version 2 cannot equal a MAG 600, can it?.
[/quote]

The power section in the MiBass is a lot more up to date than the one in the Superfly, and greatly improved, and you never know, the one in the 2.0 might be different again, and further improved.
I think you're right though, it's unlikely that a class D of that rating is going to match a bag ass solid state amp watt for watt.

Eude