Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1378451880' post='2200371']
is there anything externally link wise showing the travels and/or current whereabouts of the bass? (google map??)

thread is getting very long and is often difficult to try and figure out if it is nearby anywhere - thanks

edit- just found the facebook page which seems to be most up to date - if anybody from pompey might be heading to kent/london direction i would be happy to meet up and collect and pass it on to 4strings tomorrow
[/quote]

Yes it isn't easy keeping track of it;'s whereabouts, but generally the most recent posts will give an indication.
Also there's the Map of Honour - see link below. I can't for the life of me remember who's updating it - apologies

[url="https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=210691614987351235849.0004d5f2ff114291042ee&msa=0"]https://maps.google....4291042ee&msa=0[/url]

There's also the facebook page [url="http://www.facebook.com/BcBassRelay?hc_location=stream"]http://www.facebook....location=stream[/url]

Hope that helps a bit & that your able to get your hands on The Relay Bass!

Edit - sorry - I've just read your edit!!! :facepalm:

Edited by Donnyboy

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1378455087' post='2200423']
Yes it isn't easy keeping track of it;'s whereabouts, but generally the most recent posts will give an indication.
Also there's the Map of Honour - see link below. I can't for the life of me remember who's updating it - apologies

[/quote]

I guess he must remain anonymous ;)

the route is listed as are the gigs and any mentions that crop up at the time

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1378560227' post='2201830']

Just a thought , can you get them to sign the book aswell , just in case ?
[/quote]

They all have so far.

Also, to combat the low output. Bjorn over at Rosetti has sorted us out with a set out Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders for the bass.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1378920413' post='2206562']
They all have so far.

Also, to combat the low output. Bjorn over at Rosetti has sorted us out with a set out Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders for the bass.
[/quote]

Fantastic ! but couldnt resist doing a zombie post about fretwire and reclaiming 12th fret upwards ! :modspank:

So, today the bass was picked up and returned to me. Barry (of Street Level, Southsea) has kindly donated his work fee to fit us with the new pickups kindly donated by Bjorn over at Rosetti Distribution.

The bass is now fitted with both Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder J & P pickups and she sounds fantastic. I personally use a Quarter Pounder P in my bass and love it.

When the bass was returned, the original donated pickups were sent back to me, and I had a thought. Who wants them? Who fancies owning a small piece of history in the making? All proceeds will go to Cancer Research UK of course.

The bass is being collected tomorrow (shipping arranged by Donnyboy) where it'll travel to London, to the arms of Bluejay. From there, she'll be taking it (and her camera no doubt :-P) to the SE Bash this weekend.

For now, here's a little pic to get y'all excited...

[URL=http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/jimryan88/media/image_zpsfc15bd9c.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/jimryan88/image_zpsfc15bd9c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hello, i'm active in an open mic sessions in cambs (Greens in Cambourne : [url="https://www.facebook.com/GreensOpenMicNights"]https://www.facebook.com/GreensOpenMicNights[/url] ). Next one is 26th of september. I could pick the bass in London where i work sometimes and make the relay go to Cambridgeshire if possible. :)

Thanks,

I've just been looking at the Google map, and noticed that the whole of the west country is missing! I am in London on Monday/Tuesday this week, If anyone can let me have the baton bass I can use it for 2-3 gigs myself in the next couple of weeks in Devon and liaise with other west country players?

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1379956301' post='2218728']
I've just been looking at the Google map, and noticed that the whole of the west country is missing! I am in London on Monday/Tuesday this week, If anyone can let me have the baton bass I can use it for 2-3 gigs myself in the next couple of weeks in Devon and liaise with other west country players?
[/quote]

I keen to use it down here in Devon, and the next available gig is 19th October.

The Baton is with me, and we have agreed with Lars that it's staying here until further notice, as he is trying to organise another couple of meetups with big names in the bass world :)
I will obviously keep you all posted as soon as I have more details, and then the Baton will be able to start on its travels again.

What you are doing is great Sylvia. I'm sure we all appreciate it, and I can see the point of the big name involvement.
But, we seemed to have stalled on the money raising. So far, it's been 'normal' basschatters sweating it out with the bass and rattling the tins in relatively lowly gigs who've raised the money.
I'm happy to be proved wrong, but as far as I can see 'celebrity' involvement hasn't put a penny on the money raised. I know we hope it will, through publicity and auction value, but I'm concerned we might lose momentum. Particularly as there are members asking for the bass to gig with.
Please don't take this as a criticism of what you're doing, and like a lot of us, I have very personal reasons for wanting to assist cancer research. I'm just suggesting a re-think perhaps. My take is that it's the Little People working together who really change the world.
Len :)

It comes down to choosing between having it played at the Dog and Duck to 20 punters every weekend, or having John Taylor of Duran Duran and Mark King endorse the cause, without being asked to put money in the box but with the agreement that their photos will be used in our press releases. Can't be both at the same time.

Let me remind you that Lars Mullen, who has a bulging little black book of star contacts, is working very hard, for nowt like the rest of us, to raise the profile of this project. We can thank him and ask him to stop at any time, and return the bass and the project to its previous relative anonymity. Up to us.
At this stage, we are talking to John Taylor and Guy Pratt, both of whom were contacted and showed an interest before. If you'd like me to ask Lars to stop contacting other people, I can do that.

I'm only the PR person and occasional photographer - I'm not a fundraiser.

I think a bit of balance is required here. I don't play dog and duck gigs, nor do I currently play stadiums, but usually to 2-300 people at a time, and I am (as are the others in the band!) very happy to stop the gig, tell the "story" of the bass and pass the collection boxes around. It would [i][b]certainly [/b][/i]help if the punters knew it was a cause started by BC but supported by a huge number of well known musicians. (I may be able to help there, particularly with some 60's/70's players...) So, having some "star" endorsements is a great thing and would be exceedingly helpful, but we do also need the bass to continue its fundraising journey....

If you read my previous posts, that's what I'm saying. I'm also saying that, having had a glitch with two appointments with two stars we had to cancel at very short notice a week ago, at the moment the bass is here with me and emphatically [b][i]not[/i][/b] going anywhere until we can be sure we do not have reason to disappoint any of our other endorsers.

Edited by bluejay

Guys, I hope there are no perceptions that the working bass punter is being snobbed in favour of glamourous, name bassists. I'm pretty confident that isn't the case.

I'd suggest we can flick the bass around to the other punters once Lars has worked his incredible magic. This isn't just good for the cause, it's good for Basschat too. It might make playing the bass even more special for SOME of the punters who come after the big names.

The lack of frets is really disconcerting though. Who pulled those out?!!

FWIW I'd pay more at auction for a bass that Mark King and John McVie have signed than having it in the knowledge that Gary Mac played it in Hoddesdon.

Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe the fundraising at gigs would be better too if you can show the sigs and say the stars who've signed?

Sorry Gary, but he knows where I'm coming from.

I recon sigs first, gigs later.

You're all doing a great job.