Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1383347068' post='2263575']
If you are happy with me just adding ones more gig to it but without fundraising(they aren't happy) I'll take it for 10th. Am in camb but gig in Ely
[/quote]

It's all awareness for the cause matey. As long as you can highlight why (even without the fundraising), the band is always welcome to donate 😝

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1383340649' post='2263496']
About 150£ were collected in these two Cambourne gig (and the previous one too). Everything donated on the just-giving page and.... WE'VE REACHED 50% of the objective !!!!

Keep it going guys ! I know that 4Strings has a gig beginning of december but i'm sure we can do more in november. So... who's next ? :)
[/quote]

Yep, I'd like it on 14th Dec, mid of the month, keep it moving in the meantime!

(Actually, have one on the 13th Dec too celebrating a year of Food Bank in Newham, apparently Stephen Timms MP will be there - photo opportunity!)

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1383297919' post='2262658']
Here are the first pics of yesterday night :) it was a very quiet night at greens (halloween effect ?) but still the bass was played and money was collected for research for cancer. Will track people there for more pictures (including some of me playing the bass).

So who wants to be next ? I can deliver the bass in a triangle between heathrow, stansted and cambridge :)

[attachment=147344:1375852_542080819215696_332863836_n.jpg]
[attachment=147345:1294502_542387169185061_547890096_o.jpg]
[/quote]

If you are around I can meet you somewhere perhaps Thursday evening so I can play it on Church on Sunday? The pastor has agreed to it and doesn't mind plugging the cause and passing the collection tin around the congregation! :) PM me if you are about?

[quote name='Aqntbghd' timestamp='1383861512' post='2270235']
Bass transfered to Jonnyboy rotten :) sorry no transfer pics, it was a dark parking :)
[/quote]

Yep those Seymour Duncans look great. Looking for to hearing it! :)

edit...and yes it does sound rather dirty but was all proper and above board! :D

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1384097134' post='2272677']
Well I played it at our church this morning and we raised a respectable £100! It would have been more but I hadn't realised that there would be another collection for some missionaries from our church too.
[/quote]

Well done :)

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1384097134' post='2272677']
Well I played it at our church this morning and we raised a respectable £100! It would have been more but I hadn't realised that there would be another collection for some missionaries from our church too.
[/quote]

Well done and thank you, hope/glad you enjoyed your time with the bass.

You lot are amazing and don't forget to add the relay to your sigs if you've taken part.

A quick protocol question....

When sending the £100 via the justgiving website it asked me if I pay tax and can claim gift aid. I put that I do and I can which makes the total £125! Whoohoo! :party:

However, after hitting the send button it occured to me that it is possible (even likely?) that not everyone who donated the money on the day actually pays tax. So there may be a few quid of gift aid 'over paid'. Does this matter? It is ok/ethical etc to have everyone give the money to someone who pays tax to get the government in order to bump up the total?

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1384170687' post='2273419']
A quick protocol question....

When sending the £100 via the justgiving website it asked me if I pay tax and can claim gift aid. I put that I do and I can which makes the total £125! Whoohoo! :party:

However, after hitting the send button it occured to me that it is possible (even likely?) that not everyone who donated the money on the day actually pays tax. So there may be a few quid of gift aid 'over paid'. Does this matter? It is ok/ethical etc to have everyone give the money to someone who pays tax to get the government in order to bump up the total?
[/quote]

Don't think it's really allowed. If it was just a donation out of your pocket, then yes, that would be fine, but if it's been collected at a gig, I don't think you're allowed to claim gift aid, because, as you said, maybe some people who donated don't pay tax. So, I don't think the government would see it as ok, but it doesn't matter this time, does it, because the £100 was yours, wasn't it ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1384173323' post='2273458']
Don't think it's really allowed. If it was just a donation out of your pocket, then yes, that would be fine, but if it's been collected at a gig, I don't think you're allowed to claim gift aid, because, as you said, maybe some people who donated don't pay tax. So, I don't think the government would see it as ok, but it doesn't matter this time, does it, because the £100 was yours, wasn't it ;)
[/quote]

Errr ahem, yeah I guess! :ph34r:

All the working and retired folk in the room are all taxpayers, so we're really only talking about contributions from children and the unemployed. (Prisoners being the other category, but I doubt many were there.)

So my guess is the funds do all come from taxpayers. But I doubt HMRC would like to see it that way. So, ahem, it's really generous of you Johnnyboy.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1384175502' post='2273512']
All the working and retired folk in the room are all taxpayers, so we're really only talking about contributions from children and the unemployed. (Prisoners being the other category, but I doubt many were there.)

So my guess is the funds do all come from taxpayers. But I doubt HMRC would like to see it that way. So, ahem, it's really generous of you Johnnyboy.
[/quote]

But when you apply gift aid, it's to do with the tax that you specifically have paid. So if I, hypothetically, got £100 in donations from various members f the public, and I donated it into the pot on, let's say, Just Giving, and I tick "Add Gift Aid", that's the same as saying "I want to make a £100 donation from my own pocket, please add gift aid, as I do pay taxes". If it's a mass collection, I don't think you're allowed to add gift aid, it's only for the individual. Still, that's just one, entirely hypothetical situation :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1384176675' post='2273538']
But when you apply gift aid, it's to do with the tax that you specifically have paid. So if I, hypothetically, got £100 in donations from various members f the public, and I donated it into the pot on, let's say, Just Giving, and I tick "Add Gift Aid", that's the same as saying "I want to make a £100 donation from my own pocket, please add gift aid, as I do pay taxes". If it's a mass collection, I don't think you're allowed to add gift aid, it's only for the individual. Still, that's just one, entirely hypothetical situation :D
[/quote]
Yep, I know. You're right.

But is WAS very generous of our Johnny on this occasion wasn't it? :D