Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1391455822' post='2357396']
Will the Baton be in or around Leicester in May and would it like to come to the Midlands Bass Bash?
[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea, nothing to stop it being there other than arranging it. :D

Anyway, Derek Forbes , who you may know from bands such as Simple Minds , Propaganda and now Big Country, has agreed to get involved in the , ahem, "BC Relay". :rolleyes: . Details still to be sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning' all,

Put on a party hat and roll out the cake, the relay is a year old today. The following is the Facebook post for all those that cannot see it. If someone could whack it on the twitter site, that'd be grand.

Morning all,

The BC Bass Relay is officially a year old!

On this day last year, I took the bass with me to my first gig with the wonderful MrBigStuff, playing at The Jolly Sailor in Southsea, Portsmouth.

Since then, the bass has travelled all over the country, been in the hands of a few celebrity bassists but more importantly, been in the hands of the hard-working bassists that are keeping this relay going.

Thank you so much to everyone that has helped out, be it arranging celeb meet ups, promotion, acting as a courier, everyone that has helped. Let us not forget the generosity of the Basschat members, who donated parts to get the bass up and running in the first place.

When I first had the idea, I never imagined it would get this big, didn't have any idea how popular It would become. A year later, we've raised £1,872.88, in 2013 we made it into the top 5% most successful justgiving pages of 2013, several local newspaper articles and even made national press.

I cannot thank you all enough for your continued help and support. Let's see if we can beat our target of £3000 this year.

Many thanks

James

[i]Yip, well done to all, long may it continue![/i]

[i]The only thing definite at the moment is that Alan Lancaster has agreed to get ininvolved when the original Status Quo lineup play in Glasgow in April.[/i]
[i]The bass is still with bassist_lewis in Edinburgh , however if anyone wanted to get involved before then or take it to the LBGS or Midlands Bass Bash or the like , it can easily be couriered ( Paisley Freight have been used before - £13.50 for next day)& I'd arrange for it to be with me for the AL appointment in April.[/i]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[media]http://youtu.be/uJvFJtKhQlM[/media]

Warning this video features a number of instruments, including a certain purple Stagg/Baton/Relay Bass on a number of occasions- The Big Close-up is around the 2 minute mark. ( I tried to get that as the pic above but didn't know how)

Edited by Donnyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Taking over the baton from Alan Lancaster and Norman Watt-Roy, who we met yesterday- ( both were perfect gents and genuinely interested, ( pics to follow shortly) ) - The Tonkerers bass player Charlie Tibbles (basschat member CharlieT) will be playing the Purple Princess with the band at Sportsters Falkirk this Sunday .

Thereafter,the band will also be taking her on her first oversea CalMac trip to the beautiful island of Islay on Saturday 19th April when they will be playing at Bruichladdich Hall.

Firstly a handover with Charles Tibbles ( Charlie T) who'll be gigging it in the very near future , and a camera shy mystery man...

[attachment=186051:IMG_1423.jpg]

A trip through to Glasgow where there was quite a bit of interest shown as we continued our mission

[attachment=186052:IMG_1432.jpg]

Onto the O2 Academy where we were looked after by Bob Young , Quo'sprevious manager /collaborator/harmonic player on this tour, then met Mr Alan Lancaster , had a nice chat , he was genuinely interested asking what kind of bass it was , asked me to adjust the strap height to his liking and he proceeded to have a play on it.

[attachment=186053:IMG_1450.jpg]

Next , up , Norman Watt-Roy, again an absolute gent and genuinely interested. Again , strap height adjustment and a bit of a play on it.

Both signed the bass and signed the log book

Many thanks to Alan and Norman -top blokes!

Edited by Donnyboy

Yep, pickups we're donated by Rosetti UK and kindly installed by. Barry at Street Level on Albert rd in Southsea.

You not a fan of M8 penny washers Dave?

Once again, thank you everyone that has helped make this happen. It's unreal.

Donald, you're getting yourself quite the photo collection by the looks of things.

James

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1397148214' post='2421206']

Donald, you're getting yourself quite the photo collection by the looks of things.

James
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yip I think my male modelling career looks promising![/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]​Anyway , back in the real world , thanks to a donation via Mr Greg Nash ( 4strings) from an event at Highway Church, East London the total raised so far is now over £2000 !![/color][/font]

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1397306679' post='2422651']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yip I think my male modelling career looks promising![/font][/color]
[/quote]

Donny - I'm planning an advertising campaign. Would you mind looking at the camera and giving the thumbs up? Also, instead of a notable bassist, would you mind if you put your arm around a beautiful female model? You'll be paid £1000 for your hard work :)

Also - Saw on the Facebook page that the relay has now jumped over the £2000 mark! Fantastic! Good work, everyone B)

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Loving how all this is coming along.

Donald has done some fantastic work north of the border and I can't thank him enough. Now, I've been asked to go on tour with a few months leaving in June and although Donald has done an amazing job, I don't want to lump the decisions on him (unless you want to step up for a bit Donald). So, with that in mind, would anyone like to take over calling the shots when it starts heading south again whilst I'm away? It'll need to be someone with social media access and someone that has been following this all along (and therefore knowing what's best for the bass/relay).

Could anyone interested please get in touch via PM

Cheers,

James

I am in discussion with DonnyBoy to have the Baton at the Midlands Bass Bash in Leicester on the 10th May. The collection box will be out and the bass will force itself upon all comers for a photo and a quick caress.

Anyone who wants to take it on from there speak up, or make a decision on the 10th.

Edited by Si600

Were I in England, I'd be delighted to help out, unfortunately, I'm not, but if+when it comes to NI, I'd be happy to give it a home and find people to gig it (working in a music shop helps find musicians who aren't on the forum :) (although I'll get them to sign up before playing)).

Incidentally - does the bass need any more strings? I realise it's nearly a year since I sent the last batch. What do folks like to play?

Edit - I've got a set of Elixir steels here, if everyone is happy with those, I can send them off this week :)

Edited by MiltyG565

Hopefully it'll come your way at some point Milty :)
I think there's still 2(?) unopened packs of strings in the case - I'll check when i get it back

There have been a couple of gigs lately - details on Facebook page - including one on the beautiful Isle of Islay.

CharlieT will likely update on his experience - here however is a taster ....

Edited by Donnyboy

Charlie T posted this in events and I've taken the liberty of re-posting it here-
[color=#282828]
"Some pictures on Facebook of my trip to Islay with The Tonkerers and the Purple Princess. After getting off to a good start with a healthy collection of not far off £40 at a fairly quiet Falkirk gig we were hoping to raise a good sum on Islay. Unfortunately the trip turned into a bit of a painfull learning experience for us as the event was being promoted on our behalf and very little on the ground promotion had actually been undertaken. Galling as we not only personally lost about £450 on the trip but heard countless times next day that we had put on a good show but nobody had known anything about it in advance. We could have done remote publicity ourselves with local contact points easily identifiable via the internet. With the benefit of hindsight we now know how keen local shops, b&bs and self catering establishments are to know about local events and happy to display posters and circulate flyers etc.The local shops are even happy to arrange ticketing - again that had been the original plan but it hadn't been put into action. Our Islay collection generated the princely sum of £9.99 - most of which was donated in the pub!

Sob story over! The Tonkerers have a final stint with the Relay Bass this Saturday at The Butterfly and the Pig West in Glasgow. Will fill you in on how we get on! "[/color][list]
[*][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=77&t=198536&qpid=2437685"]Quote[/url]
[*][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=77&t=198536&qpid=2437685"]MultiQuote[/url]
[/list]

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1398511245' post='2434810']
Hopefully it'll come your way at some point Milty :)
I think there's still 2(?) unopened packs of strings in the case - I'll check when i get it back

There have been a couple of gigs lately - details on Facebook page - including one on the beautiful Isle of Islay.

CharlieT will likely update on his experience - here however is a taster ....

[/quote]

that is pure awesomeness!!! :)

I'm happy to report that the Relay bass is now in the safe hands and loving arms of Si600 who will be accompanying her to the Midlands Bass Bash this Saturday [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228206-midlands-bass-bash-2014-100514/"]http://basschat.co.u...sh-2014-100514/[/url]

Before leaving , myself and Charlie-T bid her a fond farewell on Sunday --

The Girl is Mine etc!!

I was asked to have a bash - so I did, and rather enjoyed it.

As did Charlie - Calum seen here on guitar also played The Bass on quite a few numbers, which was used for the whole gig.

And.... we were interviewed about The Bass Relay by [url="http://planetmosh.com/"]http://planetmosh.com/[/url] . I think it's fair to say neither myself or Charlie are hardcore Planetmosh kinda guys - however they were genuinely interested in the Relay , the background to it and future plans - article will likely appear soon.

Many thanks to all involved in the Relay's (2nd) Scottish holiday. :) :thank_you:

All the best and good luck to all involved the future, in whatever shape or form. Oh, and perhaps most importantly- ENJOY!! :drinks: :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by Donnyboy