Why become a member? ×

Childhood memory - one for the oldies

jude_b

I have a memory of seeing a female singer and a really good electric bass player, with no other musicians, on a programme like Pebble Mill when I was reasonably young - probably in the early eighties.

This resurfaced again recently and I had a thought it might be Jaco/Joni, but I can't find anything relevant listed on the appearances section of the Joni website.

I thought I'd mention on the forum because it is bugging me slightly, and if anyone else is going to remember this, it will be someone on here.

I realise this is all a bit vague, but does it ring a bell with anyone?

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1358285160' post='1936532']
I have a memory of seeing a female singer and a really good electric bass player, with no other musicians, on a programme like Pebble Mill when I was reasonably young - probably in the early eighties.

This resurfaced again recently and I had a thought it might be Jaco/Joni, but I can't find anything relevant listed on the appearances section of the Joni website.

I thought I'd mention on the forum because it is bugging me slightly, and if anyone else is going to remember this, it will be someone on here.

[/quote]
Do a bass player and singer ring a bell?.......,

I keep thing of the Hejira album, so can't get past that to think of other possibilities :(

Slight hijack here (sorry). Anybody also remember Angie Bowie doing her poetry thing with a bass player noodling in the background?

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it was any of the suggested combinations, although Mick Karn could be a possibility.

When I searched YouTube to check, the definitive version of You've Lost That Loving Feeling by Paul Shane came up, which I'd forgotten about. So it hasn't been entirely in vain.

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1358324349' post='1936848']

Slight hijack here (sorry). Anybody also remember Angie Bowie doing her poetry thing with a bass player noodling in the background?
[/quote]

Not quite a childhood memory, I was 30 at the time but yes, OGWT 82 - with Mick Karn (noodling!) on bass

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14YmRABFFg[media]

I also remember Japan's first appearance on the OGWT in 1980, especially Mick's bass playing on "Swing"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sREoOWcSOE[media]

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1358285160' post='1936532']

[/quote]

I very seriously doubt Joni Mitchell and Jaco Pastorius ever appeared together on Pebble Mill . Joni Mitchell did play live dates in the U.K IN 1983 with her band that featured her then huisband Larry Klein on bass , so maybe that is an outside possibility , but still rather unlikely .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='dry_stone' timestamp='1369930157' post='2094622']
Not quite a childhood memory, I was 30 at the time but yes, OGWT 82 - with Mick Karn (noodling!) on bass

[media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14YmRABFFg[/media][media]

[/quote]

I vividly remember seeing that when it was first on television all those years ago and I loved it then , and I enjoyed seeing it again just now . It would be nice hear the work of Pam Ayers getting a similaly abstract but funky bass treatment .

Edited by Dingus

Wow Mick's tone and groove on that poetry jam are fantastic! He doesn't even look at his bass while he's playing, the lovely weirdo :)
Just remembered how much I need to try a Wal fretless too.
Cheers for posting that dry_stone!

Edited by miles'tone