Why become a member? ×

Headphones thread.

MiltyG565

So after getting and testing a new set of headphones, and writing a review of them, on of the readers of the review decided we should have a headphone thread, so here we are!

In this thread, you should talk about headphones primarily, but not limited to that, also feel free to talk about earphones. You should say about your past experiences and what you think, essentially, small reviews and knowledge you can impart to others on the subject of headphones.

Happy listening!

You mean something like:

I've been using a pair of Jaybird SB2 headphones (http://www.jaybirdgear.com/sportsband-bluetooth-headphones/) for about two years now. Absolutely love them.

Previously I only used earphones (mainly sennheiser) so this was my first set of proper headphones. They're intended for use as a pair of sports headphones (gym, running, etc), but I got them as they're wireless. Considering they're wireless (Bluetooth) the sound quality is amazing, deep, thumping lows, sparkling highs, the works. Which is great for me as I listen to just about everything.

Where they're designed for sports use, they hold tight on m swede (not too tight though) and are sweat resistant too. A nifty little feature is on the right earpiece. There's a central button which is on/off, play/pause, answer call/hang up. In addition to this, around it there are 4 more buttons, skip tracks back and forth and volume up and down.

My only gripe with them, is I'm worried that if I drop/lose my phone, have it stolen, I won't know until I'm 30 odd feet away.

Other than that, they're great, nice range of colours too. Got me an orange set.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1358277624' post='1936247']
You mean something like:

I've been using a pair of Jaybird SB2 headphones ([url="http://www.jaybirdgear.com/sportsband-bluetooth-headphones/"]http://www.jaybirdge...oth-headphones/[/url]) for about two years now. Absolutely love them.

Previously I only used earphones (mainly sennheiser) so this was my first set of proper headphones. They're intended for use as a pair of sports headphones (gym, running, etc), but I got them as they're wireless. Considering they're wireless (Bluetooth) the sound quality is amazing, deep, thumping lows, sparkling highs, the works. Which is great for me as I listen to just about everything.

Where they're designed for sports use, they hold tight on m swede (not too tight though) and are sweat resistant too. A nifty little feature is on the right earpiece. There's a central button which is on/off, play/pause, answer call/hang up. In addition to this, around it there are 4 more buttons, skip tracks back and forth and volume up and down.

My only gripe with them, is I'm worried that if I drop/lose my phone, have it stolen, I won't know until I'm 30 odd feet away.

Other than that, they're great, nice range of colours too. Got me an orange set.
[/quote]

That's the idea! :D

Serial Grado user here. iGrado for the gym and '80s for everything else. Top phones with great sound stage, comfortable etc. My only criticism would be they are a bit leaky so others around you will get the benefit of what you are listening to.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1358279255' post='1936283']
Serial Grado user here. iGrado for the gym and '80s for everything else. Top phones with great sound stage, comfortable etc. My only criticism would be they are a bit leaky so others around you will get the benefit of what you are listening to.
[/quote]

The "Benefit"... hmm...

Nothing worse than having to sit beside some knob on the bus that's belting out the music you despise (although they might be wrong to despise the music you are listening to, they still despise it).

Worst of all are the knobs on the bus that don't know what headphones are, and still insist on belting out the music you despise.

Having gone through numerous pairs of headphones and in-ear headphones, I can safely say that the Bose IE2's are fantastic. They don't go in your ear canal, they sit over it. Very comfortable and excellent quality sound and build.

I was using Shure in ear headphone but found them to be incredibly uncomfortable and sometimes painful.

I've used a set of Beyer Dynamics since late 80's and still have them altho the "leather" is starting to show signs of wear along with the obvious jack plug failures which i've repaired myself. They have been a great set of phones and can't really fault them.
I posted a query on BC last year and majority vote came back as Sennheiser HD280 Pros so i bought a set for Xmas this year and have to say they are pretty great so far. Sound wise the produce a very accurate and clear sound across the range. A bit like my Bose hi-fi speakers. Nothing boomy and not overly top ended.

I like so far.

Dave

I bought some AKG K77s this week after my AKG K55s had an internal wiring fault and the right hand speaker died. I was happy with them though as they had about 7 years of heavy use, so replaced with a similar model. Here's to the next 7.

[/quote]

+1

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1358279521' post='1936287']
The "Benefit"... hmm...

Nothing worse than having to sit beside some knob on the bus that's belting out the music you despise (although they might be wrong to despise the music you are listening to, they still despise it).

Worst of all are the knobs on the bus that don't know what headphones are, and still insist on belting out the music you despise.
[/quote]

Sorry when I said everything else, I meant around the house/music/TV etc. When I'm out and about I always use my in-ear Westone 2s (brilliant btw but not for this thread) with the soft foamy stuff for full insulation, and a portable headphone amp.

Edited by ead

Recovering headphile here.
Grado obsessive. Owned GS1000, MS2i (Alessandro variant) SR 225, 80i and 60.
Also Shure SE 535 & 530 (not at the same time) and SRH940.
Powered cans thro an Earmax Pro with vintage Telefunken tubes.
Sold nearly everything for bass related stuff :-)

[/quote]

Me too, however I bought some 125s and ended up preferring my ancient 60's so I sold them. I use the 60s every day, perhaps I'm just 'in tune' with them. Of all the headphones I've used, I find using Grados is like sitting in front ofa decent HiFi rather than like wearing 'phones.

I still have my Sennheiser HD420 I bought when I started work (a while back) they are open but were great headphones. More recently I bought some Shure E series which fit my ears much better than the iPod/iPhone ear buds.

Recently I have had to practice at home using headphones as my good lady does not like repeatedly hearing the songs I'm practising so I have been using some Sony closed phones (MDR-V300) which are fine.

Like I said in Milty's other thread, I've had Etymotic ER4 for about seven years, till I lost them :-(
I bought some cheaper Shure ones, but they've been returned. I'm so used to the clarity and balance of the ER4s, these couldn't even hope to compare. Looks like I'll have to cough up for some more Etymotics

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1358325327' post='1936864']
Recovering headphile here.
Grado obsessive. Owned GS1000, MS2i (Alessandro variant) SR 225, 80i and 60.
Also Shure SE 535 & 530 (not at the same time) and SRH940.
Powered cans thro an Earmax Pro with vintage Telefunken tubes.
Sold nearly everything for bass related stuff :-)
[/quote]

Grado GS1000 and Earmax Pro ! I'm impressed ! That must have sounded amazing .

My own humble setup is a pair of Sennheiser HD485 headphones , which sound amazingly good despite their modest price . Just as importantly , they are very robust and still look and work like they are brand new , even after three years heavy use . I bought my dad some Beyerdynamic DT770 phones and they are beautifully built and sound terriffic , and I bought myself some AKG K550s earlier this year but I prefer the Sennheisers for everyday use .

I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD465's for about 8 years now and they're still going strong, despite numerous flat moves and studio sessions thrown in a bag. Great sound and I don't remember paying a great deal for them, maybe £50-60 at the time.

I also regularly use a pair of Sennheiser CX300II in-ear's for music on the go and they are similarly great sound and quality, these were a bit of a budget buy at £25-30 but they are excellent.

For detailed listening and recording at home I swear by a pair of Grado SR60s - excellent quality. I've also got a pair of old Fostex T10s that are very good, but don't really stack up next to the Grados. For general in-ear stuff I love the sennheiser CX300s, though they can be a little bit boomy in places.

I've used loads of different in-ear stuff (Sony, JVC etc) but they all seem to colour the sound a bit too much for my liking.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1358341747' post='1937251']

I've used loads of different in-ear stuff (Sony, JVC etc) but they all seem to colour the sound a bit too much for my liking.
[/quote]

That's why I swear by Sure E2Cs for playing bass - what I hear is exactly what goes to desk.

Recently bought a new pair of headphones to go with my venerable Sennheiser HD595s (which are frankly worn out, the top end doesnt extend as far as it once did, and I've worn them for about 7 hours a day, 5 days a week since about 2001, they are truly knackered!).

Having had a look around, and being a total cheapskate I went for some Studiospares M1000s.

Initially thoughts on getting the box delivered was "What the heck is this" it turned up next day on very reasonable postage and packing charges. They come in a carry case (nicely done) with an extra pair of the muff bits (do the ones it came with wear out really quickly or not??) and a really nice cable (that detaches in a fairly standard way from the cans themselves).

The cans themselves certainly look the part, very solid construction, you wouldnt think they were £60 new, thats for sure. The headband is pretty tight on my head, but all the reviews seem to think this will ease off over time to end up very comfy. They are very nicely padded though and give a huge sense of isolation over the sennheisers (which are open backed, the M1000s are closed backed, so this is only to be expected). They also dont leak at all, at even quite loud volumes, which will be great for tracking mic'ed up 'stuff'.

The sound is pin sharp without being too trebly, however they are at present somewhat light in the bottom octave or two, there is a definite roll off down there (especially compared to the sennheisers). However, if I run some 25Hz through them for a while they open up in the low end significantly, so it may well be a case that they just need some time to really wear in. I certainly hope so, as I do love to have that bottom octave right there. The drivers can produce these frequencies fine (a little eqing does wonders) but I'd prefer them to not need it.

I intend to use them for tracking stuff at home mainly (although they will be fine for location recording too) and have been using the RME UCX to drive them exclusively - its headphone out is superb, so if they didnt sound great off that then they would have been gash.

Certainly good value for rmoney though, and if they last as well as they look like they should I shall be using them for years...

I also omitted to report my ownership of some Audio Technica AD700s. Decent cans (ignoring the pretty dodgy gold/lavender colour scheme), and probably one of the most comfortable headphones I've had. Airy sound, possibly better for classical and jazz rather than rock, but we are straying into very subjective areas here.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358339899' post='1937203']

Grado GS1000 and Earmax Pro ! I'm impressed ! That must have sounded amazing .
[/quote]
It was! They say 'eargasm'. I had some Nordost Red Dawn cables connecting to the Naim source too. Never found the sound wearing, could enjoy for literally hours. The space they offered to big symphonic recordingd was immense. Also ECM recordings were captivating. It was a pricey business!