Why become a member? ×

Fender (Mexico) Pawn Shop Bass VI

BetaFunk

I like the look of these. If i can try one out i will probably end up buying.

Really hard to understand all the hate they are getting though. People are failing to get the concept of "pawnshop series" when saying they are not true enough to the originals and use cheaper materials. Buy an older VI or a new MIJ model if it is bugging you that much.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1358120944' post='1933610']
E-A-D-G-B-E its regular tuning is one octave below 'normal' guitar, same as normal bass plus B-E
[/quote]

Hence its original designation by Fender as "Electric Bass Guitar" as opposed to "Electric Bass".

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1359198979' post='1951384']
Heard there's a special run of the Japanese reissue ones on their way soon, more 'reissue' in style, over a grand though.

Not sure.
[/quote]
I would imagine that after shipping and taxes it's going to be a lot more than a grand when it lands on these shores.

• 2 weeks later...

The bassvi if you want to get the cure new order cocteus type sound will rely heavily on the original bass vi strings. ....I nearly gave up with my musicman vi using their own eb strings tuned e to e because the strings especially the low e was so loose dull and toneless that it was unmusical.

When in desperation i tried the fender bass vi strings ....well it was a revelation......it sounded exactly like a vi in every way.

The 80s bass vi sound is definitely all about the strings....I view this pawnshop offering as a totally different animal if it can't take them.

Here are the string sizes:

Pawn Shop Bass VI: 024, 034, 044, 056, 072, 084

Original Fender VI: 025, 035, 045, 055, 075, 095

These are just what i've found on the net so they may vary. For what i've read on the net it seems that the Schecter Hellcat VI is truer to the original Bass VI sound than the Pawn Shop Bass VI.

I'm picking my Pawn Shop Bass VI next week. I'm buying one simply because i think it will be good fun for the money.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1364227225' post='2023458']
How about some opinions reviews from you guys that have one, im thinking of ordering one but cant find anywhere that has one in stock (bassed in bournemouth and can travel if anyone sees one)
[/quote]
I've had mine about six weeks. It's seems to be well made and the finish looks great in the candy apple red that mine is. It's great fun to play and the matching headstock finishes it of just right. They seemed to sell out these pretty quickly so i'm glad i got mine when i did.

The best review by far on youtube is this:

http://youtu.be/H415_ckxwm4

I played one of these in Wunjo's on Friday, they have two Candy Apple Red ones in stock, or at least they did on Friday, they have been flying out of the shop apparently.

They sound fantastic and are very comfortable to play. If you're used to guitar you'll find it very natural. The neck pickup gives a very nice warm bass sound, the P90 on the bridge adds a lot of treble edginess, and the interim positions are interesting too.

I was really taken with it , but am wondering what I'd do with one if I bought it.

No issues with build quality:

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the supplied low E at 084 is too light making the lowest string buzzy and difficult to intonate. I read quite a number of articles on various forums and most long term users have used La Bella flats with a 095 E on their Bass VI. Apparently the bridge on a Pawnshop VI needs some adaptation to accommodate the width of the 095 - but this is contradicted in some discussions. The La Bellas are very expensive however (£60+) - having read an interview with Jack Bruce I put a Picato flat wound 095 medium scale E string and a 075 A on my MIJ Bass VI. Cheap and as a compromise it works the bass behaves much better although I think I'm going to save up for a La Bella set!
An interesting discussion here about the Pawnshop version -

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66276