Why become a member? ×

Fender (Mexico) Pawn Shop Bass VI

BetaFunk

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1366549491' post='2053803']
I agree that the supplied low E at 084 is too light making the lowest string buzzy and difficult to intonate. I read quite a number of articles on various forums and most long term users have used La Bella flats with a 095 E on their Bass VI. Apparently the bridge on a Pawnshop VI needs some adaptation to accommodate the width of the 095 - but this is contradicted in some discussions. The La Bellas are very expensive however (£60+) - having read an interview with Jack Bruce I put a Picato flat wound 095 medium scale E string and a 075 A on my MIJ Bass VI. Cheap and as a compromise it works the bass behaves much better although I think I'm going to save up for a La Bella set!
An interesting discussion here about the Pawnshop version -

[url="http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66276"]http://www.offsetgui...php?f=6&t=66276[/url]
[/quote]
Thanks for the info. I'm still doing a bit of research to see what to do with mine. At the moment it has a really clanky old sound.

Someone on the Facebook Bass VI group has put Ernie Ball 095 & 080 strings on his Pawn Shop Bass VI.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1366615374' post='2054749']
Just watched the YouTube videos and I fail to see the point to be honest. What's it for?
[/quote]

I'm not sure the demo video truly represents it as a bass guitar - which it undoubtedly is. It is an extremely useable, versatile instrument. The Cure, Jack Bruce, The Beatles, Jet Harris, Glen Campbell, Carol Kaye, Placebo, to name a few have used the Bass VI on a wide variety of music to great effect. It can be used as a tic tac bass to compliment upright bass or a solo instrument as on Wichita Lineman (if you forward to 1.56 you'll hear that great solo sound on the closing link). Hooky used his Shergold Bass VI with chorus and made a trademark out of it. Placebo have tended to use it for a more aggressive indie rock sound. Jet Harris made a career out of his. Jack Bruce used it as a bass in early Cream.
I used to own a Shergold Bass VI and regretted selling mine so I recently picked up a MIJ Bass VI and I've ordered the Pawnshop version to compare the two. I use mine in a surf and Rockabilly band where I mainly play double bass but the Bass VI sounds great on Dick Dale and Cramps songs - I also use it for Prog, classic rock covers and when I occasionally play Country. It's not everyone's cup of tea to play but I love mine and it always gets positive comments from band mates and audiences. If you get the chance it's worth trying out believe me it's great fun to play and makes you think a little differently about how you play! :)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4qoymGCDYzU

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1366650901' post='2055488']
I'm not sure the demo video truly represents it as a bass guitar - which it undoubtedly is. It is an extremely useable, versatile instrument. The Cure, Jack Bruce, The Beatles, Jet Harris, Glen Campbell, Carol Kaye, Placebo, to name a few have used the Bass VI on a wide variety of music to great effect. It can be used as a tic tac bass to compliment upright bass or a solo instrument as on Wichita Lineman (if you forward to 1.56 you'll hear that great solo sound on the closing link). Hooky used his Shergold Bass VI with chorus and made a trademark out of it. Placebo have tended to use it for a more aggressive indie rock sound. Jet Harris made a career out of his. Jack Bruce used it as a bass in early Cream.
I used to own a Shergold Bass VI and regretted selling mine so I recently picked up a MIJ Bass VI and I've ordered the Pawnshop version to compare the two. I use mine in a surf and Rockabilly band where I mainly play double bass but the Bass VI sounds great on Dick Dale and Cramps songs - I also use it for Prog, classic rock covers and when I occasionally play Country. It's not everyone's cup of tea to play but I love mine and it always gets positive comments from band mates and audiences. If you get the chance it's worth trying out believe me it's great fun to play and makes you think a little differently about how you play! :)
[/quote]
I think that you summed that up perfectly ash. I'm not a gigging musician but i bought one because i always been fascinated with the different sort of music the Bass VI crops up on. It's never going to replace or compete with a guitar of bass but was never meant to.
I just find it totally sound to anything else i have. The same reason i have a 70s Fender Jazz, 60s Hofner Senator, Shergold Marathon, Guild Pilot basses and my old 60s Teisco, Kawai and Guyatone guitars. They all sound different!

P.S. I would have preferred to have a MIJ Bass VI so i'll be interested in your comparison to the Pawn Shop version.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1366654809' post='2055583']

P.S. I would have preferred to have a MIJ Bass VI so i'll be interested in your comparison to the Pawn Shop version.
[/quote]

I'll let you know - apparently they won't have one in until August at my local music shop :(

I have just fitted a set of La Bella round wounds on mine E measures 95 top E 26. Sound and feel great though pricey at £35 but much more like the stock original Fender set.

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1366838283' post='2058035']
The lengths Fender will go to to get sales never fails to amaze. If you want a decent 6 get a Japanese one. Forget all about Mexico the quality can't compete.
[/quote]
Thank you for those words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1366877089' post='2058308']
Not wishing to hijack a thread, but I have a Custom Shop Bass VI, which I will be selling shortly if anyone is interested? PM me. I will be advertising it on here properly in due course, but saw this thread, and thought someone may fancy it. Rick.
[/quote]
More info please Rick!!!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1366884122' post='2058437']
More info please Rick!!!
[/quote]

[size=3][color=#000000]It’s a Fender Custom Shop, Time Machine Series model. Absolutely Mint, I’m taking some pics at the weekend of it, but it's basically the same as this one, except its Mint, not Relic;[/color]

[url="http://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/fender-custom-shop-60s-relic-bass-vi-guitar-3-tone-sunburst/"][color=#800080]http://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/fender-custom-shop-60s-relic-bass-vi-guitar-3-tone-sunburst/[/color][/url]

[color=#000000]It has the Custom Shop black tolex case, with Limited Edition embossed lining, all the case candy, certificate etc, and is more mint than a pack of polo's. I understand from Suzy at the CS, that it is one of 99 examples made, 50 were made in various custom colours, and 49 in sunburst. It's a beaut. [/color]

[color=#000000]The Japanese ones are fetching over a grand at the moment, and they're not very 'correct' by all accounts, these custom shop time machine one's are 'proper', and very scarce, especially in the UK, and still fetch around $5000 in the US. havent really thought about price yet, need to do a bit more research on that, but will be c.£2k i would guess?[/color]

[color=#000000]Rick[/color][/size]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

I recently got an MIM Pawn Shop Mustang Bass, and was able to compare it to a recent MIJ Mustang Bass. My MIM was superior to the MIJ hands down. The QC is as good as an Am. Std. Jazz. MIM basses are far better than in the past.

[URL=http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/roadrex/media/DSC_2614.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/DSC_2614.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I have no complaints with the quality of the Mexican made Fenders. That's why i really couldn't be bothered to reply to the previous post re Mexican Fender quality. Also the MIM Pawn Shop Bass VI is £600 and the MIJ Bass VI is approximately £1350. They are not the same guitar and not meant to be so to compare them seems pointless.
There also seems to be as much criticism on forums of the MIJ Bass VI v The original U.S. Bass Vi as there is between the Pawn Shop MIM v the MIJ Bass VI.

Edited by BetaFunk

I have played several recent MIM basses and have had no complaints - the QC of some of the earlier ones may have been inconsistent however look at the roadworn and vintage series - I reckon the early roadworns will become the JVs of the next decade.
I agree that the Pawnshop VI and the MIJ VIs are of different price points and there may be some compromises in terms of materials used however they are a similar animal and we all know how 'off the peg' Fenders differ in quality and appeal. We've all heard stories about 'those Japanese Squiers' that blow some USA Fenders out of the water.....no this is not an urban myth I own one that cost a sixth of what I paid for my '74 P. Bass and equals it in terms of quality
I'd like to compare the necks - for example I've heard the Pawnshop has a flatter profile with a slightly wider string spacing and jumbo frets, I believe this is to appeal more to established bassists since the Bass VI has been regarded as a 'guitarist's bass/bassist's guitar' by its critics.
My Bass VI is a beautiful instrument and top spec, one piece body, quality construction and materials yet the setup and stock strings were awful. I like the pickup configuration and switching options - very different with the Pawnshop version. I'm really looking forward to playing one!

• 4 months later...

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1378333579' post='2198958']
there is now a Squier bass VI looks very cool and under £300
Couldn't justify the price of the pawn shop version but this I will look at
[/quote]
There certainly is and here's 100 posts all about it.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211505-2013-squier-vintage-modified-bass-vi/page__hl__bass%20vi