Question for the ladies only please

Evil Undead

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!

Must not use the "This thread is useless without pics" icon,
Must not use the "This thread is useless without pics" icon, :dash1:

An old girlfriend had a Curbow and she loved it, as she said it was the only bass she'd ever played that didn't interfere with her muliebrous physique (That's a direct quote BTW). I could barely play the thing, the neck dive was too bad but she said it was fine for her. As a light hearted joke I suggested her "muliebrous physique" was providing ballast, and you'll probably be delighted to hear she kicked me in the balls.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357846958' post='1929537']
I'm sure it's common sense to assume that the shape of the player's body influences the type of bass that feels right to them. That's the whole point of this thread, after all, even if it started as a female-centric topic.[/quote]

Exactly so; much as I loved my first bass, an EB3, as I grew it looked like a ukelele on me - or felt like it at the time. I know - or knew - two other pro players the same size as me, both of whom only play long-scale basses for the same reason - and one of them only playing Fenders, not so much for the sound but because of the larger bodies in comparison to most others - though he couldn't answer when I said "If that's your only reason, why not use a semi - like an EB2 for eg."

I saw a red Status Energy in the for sale section recently (and a green one) Great sound, body not huge and a shallow neck. They weigh next to nothing as the body slab is about as thick as a Rizla. My first proper bass one of those. Great value for money and very playable. Other than that, a Hohner Steinberger.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1357846816' post='1929536']
As a light hearted joke I suggested her "muliebrous physique" was providing ballast, and you'll probably be delighted to hear she kicked me in the balls.
[/quote]

[url="http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101214020530AABMKSh"]http://uk.answers.ya...14020530AABMKSh[/url]

But we all knew that already, didn't we?

Is there a word that means "[i]taking off leather stiletto boots inappropriately[/i]"?

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1357892890' post='1930014']

[url="http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101214020530AABMKSh"]http://uk.answers.ya...14020530AABMKSh[/url]

But we all knew that already, didn't we?

Is there a word that means "[i]taking off leather stiletto boots inappropriately[/i]"?
[/quote]

I had to ask her what it meant, and she didn't give it any of those negative connotations, she at least thought it just meant feminine/womanly.

A pleasant side note, dropping such an obtuse word into casual conversation, kicking me in the gonads - without hesitation - then laughing at me writhing around on the floor, is in hindsight, when I fell in love with her.

• Like 1

Good God, there was I, thinking in Latin and understanding "muliebrous" as deriving from "mulier" (woman) and therefore just meaning "womanly" or "pertaining to a woman's shape". Sigh.

Jack, will try to think how I would describe taking off my leathers in Latin. I fear it would have a - totally inappropriate in this context - military connotation :rolleyes: :D

Edited by bluejay

Anyway......

What about a Fender Precision Lyte? Smaller and errrm lighter than a P bass, I seem to remember they were quite nice...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-PRECISION-LYTE-BASS-/121047820753?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c2f0329d1

Although my wife doesn't play bass at all, she has always picked up whatever basses I own and tried them out for size so to speak. Out to the 4 I've owned since being together she...

point blanked refused to even look at the Hohner B2A as she said it was just daft. (I did own this bass some time ago and she could be petulant and childish back then :))

found the Rockbass Corvette both heavy and uncomfortable. Although the bass has a small body, the way it sits just seems to make the neck further away.

She finds the the Ibanez SR the best, and if she were to ever buy a bass for herself this would be the one. It's light, comfortable and sits well on the strap.

Surprisingly it was only the chunkier neck that was her only quibble with regards the Precision bass I own. Otherwise it was quite nice she said, comfy etc. Considering my wife doesn't like the look of P basses this was quite some step to actually admitting to liking the bass. :)

Apart from me not minding the chunkier neck of the P, my wife's opinion pretty much mirrored mine. The only one I've found uncomfortable and heavy was the Corvette. Great bass, just found it wasn't for me, maybe because I'm a skinny little git :)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='surfinbernard' timestamp='1357818773' post='1928824']
I am a small woman with small hands and I play a jazz bass. It's large, cumbersome, heavy and my hands sometimes struggle to reach but I wouldn't swap, it sounds how a bass should sound to me, and providing I keep my hand in I find I can play how I want to play and it sounds the way I want it to. Can't ask for more from an instrument than that. Make what you will from the various potential innuendos provided ;)
[/quote]

The correct answer - that is, if it makes the noise you want, persever unless too painful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just came across this (mainly ;) ) interesting thread.

To be honest reading this is the first time I have ever thought about my choice of instruments because I'm a girl! I have played many, many basses over the years and never thought, oooh I don't like this because I can't play it, normally, just like the blokes, I think, I don't like this because it - sounds crap / looks awful / plays badly etc.

I do admit that colour / looks are important to me (not really just a female thing) but when I admit that I love playing my pink glittery Daisy Rock because of the comments I suppose that is a girly thing.
My first choice instruments though are definitely Warwicks, Corvette $$s and Thumb, all a joy to play. Weight wise I do prefer a heavy instrument but always use a wide strap to compensate this.

Playing style I do have the bass quite high (80s teenager) which is great, right boob on top of bass, pint on top of that! (j/k)

Basses in arsenal to give an idea:

Warwick - 2 x $$s & Thumb
Squier Precision
Daisy Rock - Heartbreaker (short scale) & Rock Candy
Ibanez SR400qm
Spear S1
Harper 6 string fretless