Why become a member? ×

Shure SM58s

barneyg42

The one with the on/off switch, looking on eBay they vary in price so much. There's one in Ireland for £60+4.99 postage brand new, only opened to check it and yet all the others are £90+, some as high as £160.
Question is should I be wary of buying the £60 one. Are there ringers out there? Seller has 219 feedback 100%.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1357668245' post='1926392']
Are there ringers out there?
[/quote]

Hell yes there are; I wouldn't buy a secondhand Shure SM57 or 58 these days unless the seller could absolutely guarantee its authenticity and ideally give me the original receipt from a reputable dealer. I got a '57 a while ago which rang alarm bells when I got it as it was too light and didn't 'feel right'; glad I checked it before using it as I would have fried my desk's phantom power supply if I'd used it alongside a condenser.

See here: http://fakesm58.wordpress.com/

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1357835055' post='1929295']
Er, why? :huh: Sorry, that's a genuine noobie question - what's the problem with mics with switches? Is it just singers who forget to flick the switch?
[/quote]

Regardless of the SM58 issue, best avoid mics with switches or tape them 'open' with bright red electrical tape.

If you are holding a mic that has been switched off, but is still plugged through a live PA, switching it on again will produce the most Godalmighty POP you can imagine.

Do this at a venue with a sound engineer and he'll likely be waiting for you in the carpark, probably holding a boom arm in a menacing sort of way ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1357838739' post='1929383']

Regardless of the SM58 issue, best avoid mics with switches or tape them 'open' with bright red electrical tape.

If you are holding a mic that has been switched off, but is still plugged through a live PA, switching it on again will produce the most Godalmighty POP you can imagine.

Do this at a venue with a sound engineer and he'll likely be waiting for you in the carpark, probably holding a boom arm in a menacing sort of way ...
[/quote]

We only run a small self run pubsize PA and switching on/off has never caused a popping problem. The singer invariably switches hers off in between songs as a matter of habit. Also it's handy to eliminate the onstage(corner of pub) waffle that inevitably starts up at half way. I just want to upgrade to a better mike and the industry standard sm58 fits the bill nicely.

Switches on mics are not a great idea.
Some pop, others just get switched off at embarrassing moments, and it's just another thing that can go wrong.
You won't find a switched mic at a decent venue or gig.
I was being flippant with my comment, implying a switched mic would be a crap mic.
Having said that, I put my drummer on a switched Sennheiser so he could switch it off on the songs he doesn't sing on,just one less thing for me to worry about.
He invariably forgets to turn it back on though, so.....
; )

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1357862349' post='1929877']
Switches on mics are not a great idea.
Some pop, others just get switched off at embarrassing moments, and it's just another thing that can go wrong.
You won't find a switched mic at a decent venue or gig.
I was being flippant with my comment, implying a switched mic would be a crap mic.
Having said that, I put my drummer on a switched Sennheiser so he could switch it off on the songs he doesn't sing on,just one less thing for me to worry about.
He invariably forgets to turn it back on though, so.....
; )
[/quote]

I use a switched Sennheiser E840 for exactly that reason; used to drum, needed to switch it off for songs I didn't sing on. No difference at all in quality between the switched and unswitched (our singer has the latter) and I've never had a 'popping' issue turning it off and on; it HAS been taped by a couple of engineers who obviously wanted 'belt and braces' though.

From Shure themselves.

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][size=3][b]The SM58 is available with or without a switch[/b][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif][size=3]SM58SE (with switch) RRP £138.00
SM58-LCE (without) RRP £126.79 [/size][/font][/color]

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1357843670' post='1929484']
We only run a small self run pubsize PA and switching on/off has never caused a popping problem. The singer invariably switches hers off in between songs as a matter of habit. Also it's handy to eliminate the onstage(corner of pub) waffle that inevitably starts up at half way. I just want to upgrade to a better mike and the industry standard sm58 fits the bill nicely.
[/quote]

Sm58's are imfamous for picking up everything and the voice..... so maybe look at alternatives to the 58 so you deal with the singer 'having' to switch off the mic and the mic not picking up background at the same time.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1358106644' post='1933281']
'58's for voice and 57's for instruments' was what I was always told. Having said that, my 57 seems to be fine for voice...
[/quote]

They're pretty much exactly the same mic bar the pop shield, which in turn gives SLIGHTLY different pickup and frequency response characteristics. They've been the industry standard for decades but these days that's really as much to do with ubiquity, consistancy and general bullet-proof-ness as anything to do with sound quality, you can get way better for the same money from the likes of Sennhesier and EV now.