Why become a member? ×

New Bowie material

ead

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1357648234' post='1925862']
I would , sadly , have to agree with BRX on this one , although I would go one album later with my definition of Bowies golden era to Lets Dance . I really , really want to like this record , and it's pretty good for what it is , but David Bowie is a uniquely talented who and can do much better than this . I will reserve final judgement until I have heard the album , but if this is the first single then it doesn't neccesarilly auger well for a return to form for the great man . Such a shame if that is so , because he certainly has a great album left in him .
[/quote]
Heard it on the radio today. Very boring and very average IMO. Lets be honest if Somebody other than Bowie had released this track it wouldn't have been given airplay. :unsure:

Part of the appeal of Bowie is that he's more an artist than a pop or rock star. I remember the same kind of things being said of when he released the "Alabama Song", a cover of a Brecht song IIRC. It was a massive detour from his output at the time or previously - but he did gig it and went on later to release his best selling album years later.
A decade ago (??) he created Tin Machine which he said on a C$ show was the best band he'd ever been in, now he puts it down as a huge blot in his career.

I'm not expecting that to happen again, but as a senior member of the music industry I believe he's simply following his nose in doing just what he wants to do at any point in his life, with very little regard - if any - like his painting, to how it's received publicly or critically.

It's a beautiful song. At 66 he's not going to make another Scary Monsters is he... It's got wonderful melody, pathos and a first for him in being a genuine retrospective - he's earned that right surely?
Plus it's produced by Visconti, so ain't gonna sound Skrillex.

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1357848810' post='1929567']
At 66 he's not going to make another Scary Monsters is he...
[/quote]

Why not?

I hope when I'm in my 60s the songs I'm writing, playing and recording will be as relevant in the current musical climate as the ones I did in my 20s.

Heard it on R6 this evening - didn't know who it was... but hair stood up on arms. Great song and performance... He lived every word. Amazing.

(Also some great bass, which I find out is the awesome TL.... it just gets better...)

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen the man over the years in a number of guises I must declare an interest as a big fan of Mr Bowie.

I can understand that given the amount of shape shifting and innovation he has given us since ZIggy exploded some may feel disappointed by the recent single. I find it to be very atmospheric with a few nods and references to some of his early work. By all accounts the album has some interesting stuff on it so looking forward to acquiring that in due course.

Good to have him back.

i think it makes a differance seeing the VID.
Image and visual effect has always been one of Bowie's main traits and it wouldn't be Bowie without it.

I'm very impressed by this and looking forward to the new album.

I was a huge fan in 70's although went off a little with Tin Machine. I couldn't quite get into them at all.

Dave

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358945580' post='1947393']
Most importantly , what does the T shirt mean ? Song Of Norway ? This man is deep!
[/quote] In its original form the song had different lyrics. Mr Bowie thought it would be a bit of a wheeze to enter it, under an alias, for Norway's Eurovision. He got his people in Norway onto it. Unfortunately it fell at the first hurdle. Apparently, those that rejected it were quite scathing about the song, along the lines of [i]Norway has high standards when it comes to Eurovision, and this offering falls woefully short[/i].
Think the T-shirt is a kind of 'thumbing of the nose' to those in Norway that rejected it.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1358948366' post='1947452']
In its original form the song had different lyrics. Mr Bowie thought it would be a bit of a wheeze to enter it, under an alias, for Norway's Eurovision. He got his people in Norway onto it. Unfortunately it fell at the first hurdle. Apparently, those that rejected it were quite scathing about the song, along the lines of [i]Norway has high standards when it comes to Eurovision, and this offering falls woefully short[/i].
[/quote]

They were right IMO.

I'm still interested in hearing the album. Quite often IME Bowie's choices for singles don't really appeal to me as much as his album tracks. Certainly I think almost every track on Ziggy Stardust is better than "Starman" which was the single.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1358948366' post='1947452']
In its original form the song had different lyrics. Mr Bowie thought it would be a bit of a wheeze to enter it, under an alias, for Norway's Eurovision. He got his people in Norway onto it. Unfortunately it fell at the first hurdle. Apparently, those that rejected it were quite scathing about the song, along the lines of [i]Norway has high standards when it comes to Eurovision, and this offering falls woefully short[/i].
Think the T-shirt is a kind of 'thumbing of the nose' to those in Norway that rejected it.
[/quote]

And people say he has no sense of humour !

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1358890108' post='1946766']
Certainly a grower.
Overused term but Bowie is a legend.
Slim to no chance I know but would love him to tour.
[/quote]

Depends what you call a tour I suppose; look at Clapton's - 3 venues and 10 dates IIRC. If he could manage that without charging Rolling Stones prices it'd be a winner.

Agreed Big Stu.....let's live in hope.

For anyone wanting a place to start with Bowie this is a cheap place to start:

The Platinum Collection David Bowie - MP3 Download - £3.99. I had a £2 download credit with Amazon which made it £1.99 for me!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platinum-Collection/dp/B001JPWRBK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358968309&sr=1-1-catcorr