Why become a member? ×

Playing rock... what to put before the Fuzz?

Gust0o

Having insomnia gives me a lot of thinking time, so I have another question.

So, my fledgling pedal board is currently Tuner > Octaver > Fuzz, and this seems to be working pretty well. I think I've got it in the right order, so as to give the Octaver a clean signal whilst still making the most of my Mastotron fuzz. It's all sounding well enough in the mix. I'm needing to make some minor adjustments, as I'm alternating between my active Stingray and passive Lakland DJs, but overall happy.

However, I think I want to have my cake and eat it. I want some more... well, [i]something[/i], in the sound. Some more presence, cut-through, [i]grit - [/i]particularly when using the passives. However, I want to keep the Mastotron, as that bad boy sounds great (and works well with the actives).

I'm wondering about putting something in front of ther Fuzz - with my mind working around something along the lines of overdrive, bass driver or something like the Tech 21 VT.

I'm still on a learning journey when it comes to pedals, so please humour me. Questions as follows:
[list]
[*]Is the above sensible, do people out there run similiar set-ups?
[*]I play hard rock (a la Black Spiders, Viking Skull) - am I thinking along the right lines in terms of pedal choice, or would people have other recommendations?
[*]Are there examples you know of that I can listen to, of similar set-ups?
[*]Would a compressor be a good idea at the end of such a chain to try and, well, [i]reform[/i] the signal after all that?
[/list]

All help appreciated, even if just telling me I've got it all wrong![list]
[*]How would I need to structure such a set-up? In what order do I need to have things?
[/list]

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1357347393' post='1921580']
Pedal order only really matters if you plan to use them at the same time, so Octave first will be still be the most likely to please. Usually lower gain before higher tends to work better, although the unpredictable results of the opposite might turn out to be a hidden gem, depending on taste.
[/quote]

Yeah but if it's something chaotic feeding into an octaver the results will be unpredictable in a bad way. If that's what you want you'll get much more satisfaction with a ring modulator.

Actually I think everybody's first pedal should be a ring modulator. Or maybe it should be their second pedal. Once you manage to use it successfully live you should be allowed to have more pedals. And you would be presented with a gold-coloured programmable ring mod by the elders of music.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1357339452' post='1921478']
overdrive for sure ! Darkglass B3k all the way for my taste.

although the mastotron has no blend, so either a blender or a separate blendable fuzz would be what you'll require.
[/quote]

Bugger. I bought the Mastotron whilst also looking at the Blowtorch. From the sounds of that, I got the wrong one to combine.

How essential is the blend? Is the risk that the Mastotron will simply "muddy" whatever goes before it, unless you can blend?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1357364246' post='1921642']
Bugger. I bought the Mastotron whilst also looking at the Blowtorch. From the sounds of that, I got the wrong one to combine.

How essential is the blend? Is the risk that the Mastotron will simply "muddy" whatever goes before it, unless you can blend?
[/quote]

unfortunately, although the blowtorch is a great pedal, it's sound struggles to cut through guitars imo., but sounds great on it's own.

never tried OD directly into mastotron, i've always blended it, but may give it a go later. but yes, i suspect the resulting sound won't be as versatile as can be achieved with a blend.

an LS-2 is cheap though, and always worth having one.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1357371481' post='1921666']
unfortunately, although the blowtorch is a great pedal, it's sound struggles to cut through guitars imo., but sounds great on it's own.[/quote]

My experience was the absolute opposite of this. I found the Blowtorch to sound pretty uninspiring on its own but the EQ and blend controls made it easy to find a niche in a guitar-heavy mix where you could still be heard.

I ditched it because it was 18v.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1357387374' post='1921894']
My experience was the absolute opposite of this. I found the Blowtorch to sound pretty uninspiring on its own but the EQ and blend controls made it easy to find a niche in a guitar-heavy mix where you could still be heard.

I ditched it because it was 18v.
[/quote]

you didn't find it too 'smooth' ? i find it to be not brutal enough, but that may be just the type of sound i'm after.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1357399572' post='1922098']you didn't find it too 'smooth' ? i find it to be not brutal enough, but that may be just the type of sound i'm after.[/quote]

You can get more beans out of it if you hit it harder at the input but yeah it wasn't high gain enough for me really. Still, I thought it worked very well in a typical guitar-based band setup. It didn't just turn everything to mud like a lot of fuzzes do.

Yeah, I skipped the Blowtorch as I didn't fancy faffing with 18v.

I've had a look at the LS-2, and that seems like an idea - I assume you'd run the Overdrive into it, with the Mastotron on a loop; use the pedal to set the split; and then run it out into the amp?

Does look like it would be useful, anyway, in a growing board.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, LS-2 procured... still sounding out overdrive options.

Looking at...
[list]
[*]Pro Co Rat - but unsure if this would work in combination. Although it does sound great in isolation
[*]Darkglass B3K - just need to find one... perhaps a little more at retail than I might have wanted
[*]Zvex Basstortion - but does this do anything better than the old Distortron to justify the extra cash?
[/list]
Will keep updated :)

If you're interested in a Rat, then go for a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail, more geared towards bass than a standard Rat, and plenty of options available.
Any kind of nice overdrive/distortion before the fuzz will drive it nicely when combined.
Check out the Fuzzrocious Broke Dick Peanut Gallery, I also love my Xotic BB Bass Preamp

Si

These can be expensive/hard to find but the FEA Labs dual dist or Photon Fuzz look frickkin awesome. Very tweakable, blend control etc. I know I'm on the look out for them!

Fuzz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaJZsIwIlR8

Dual Drive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqaMp3dRH1Y

Tasty!