Why become a member? ×

Funkify your life

mcnach

I'm starting a new funky project and was listening to some old stuff to decide on a couple of covers to mix with our original stuff... and came across this jewel. I just had to share it... enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnr9sWivsI&feature=share&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AfLZyZKTNa916x_sQD3Sjk[/media]

Edited by mcnach

The guitarist in my band's dad introduced us to The Meters when we were all 16. He used to bung us the occasional record to see what we thought and they were all great - lots of funk like The Meters and Graham Central Station, but mostly stuff like Horace Silver, Cannonball Adderley, Modern Jazz Quartet, Art Blakey, etc. We never would've gone looking for that stuff ourselves so he did us all a big favour. :)

I only recently "discovered" them. I knew Cissy Strut and a couple of other tracks that did not really grab me... but when my guitarist was talking about some Meters track a while ago I decided to investigate properly... I could not believe I had not paid attention to them for so many years!

• 11 months later...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1387117438' post='2308315']
George Porter Jr and his band are playing at the Borderline next year, 30th March.
[/quote]

Already booked :) That's saved me booking an expensive trip to New Orleans next year ... though despite having seen Trombone Shorty and Galactic this year, I might still go.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1387119951' post='2308350']
They have also played for a number of other artists as their backing band.
[/quote]
One of them being Jess Roden who is one of my all time fave singers. His version of On Broadway, with The Meters in attendance, is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB8BcBjMYoU

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.