Why become a member? ×

2x15 vs 8x10

cocco

As Conan said, adding it would certainly bring some beef to the sound. For me, given choice of 810 or 215 I`d go for the 810. More speakers, and that "wall of air/sound" you get. Do think the rumble of a 215 would be interesting though.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1357003201' post='1916346']
I currently an orange AD200 through an 8x10
And have done for some years. However in my new band I have more sonic spectrum to fill (only one guitarist who sounds nothing like my old guitarists). Would a 2x15 beef my sound up?
[/quote]

EQ will for sure, over a different cab.

I'm not sure how beefy your sound up will add more sonic spectrum tot the band or whatever. Fillinf more sound often means more mids and high mids along with some dirt.

Just goes to show how tastes vary - I wouldn't have anything with 10's in it as a gift. Possibly because I'm a finger style player but I have never heard any such cab (and I've had to play through a few on tours) that can hold down the bottom end like a (good) 2x15.

Just my opinion based on my experience but we all have different views (as already expressed here).

Consider this, how many cabs with 4,6 or 8 10" speakers can you buy on BC at the moment? OK, now how many 2x15's? That's right, those that have them, keep them.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357041319' post='1916587']
laughable post.... can't begin to...well, I can't stop laughing.... :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Why's that? :huh: You keep telling us that your opinion, built up over years of experience, is valid - so why shouldn't anyone else's be, even if you disagree with it? :(

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1357003201' post='1916346']
Would a 2x15 beef my sound up?
[/quote]

What exactly do you feel is missing from your sound with the 8x10? Is it something that could be added by judicious use of EQ?

Is it a sealed or ported cab?

If you think something is missing from your 8x10, try some other cabs. Maybe Orange are not very good at making bass cabs, I've not tried them.
Does it have to be an 8x10 or 2x15? What about trying a stack of 2 2x12s or 2 2x10s if you have a need for that much volume?

I used to have a Marshall 2x15 rig about 20 years ago. Good sound (not as good as my sound now, but a bit louder), but weighed quite a bit which wasn't an issue back then.

Oooh, can o' worms! :D

My old Trace 8 x 10" was one of the best cabs I ever played through but I would disregard any cab purely because of it's config. I like an HF component in my cabs altho i can live without. I think it's often a case of suck it and see as you may be surprised..

To the OP, why not see if you can borrow some alternative cabs? Or if you wanted more 'weight' to your existing sound consider a dedicated low frequency enclosure with an x-over and separate power amplifier to drive it?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357041319' post='1916587']
laughable post.... can't begin to...well, I can't stop laughing.... :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
Whats laughable? I dont like 10's either, I used to be all about 15's but I have come to a happy medium of 12's (like a lot of folk), I bet the 12's of today are better than the 15's of 25 years ago anyway? You get a bit of that trouser flap that a 15 or more gives but with that snappier attack when required that 10's give. Now I know Mr F and Alex etc will be along to tell us thats all nonsense and they have some drawing to prove it but as bass players we all hear what we hear and for me and many others the bigger the speaker the bigger the bottom end! 8x10's for me sound like 8 10's never like one big speaker as suggested elsewhere :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357044825' post='1916635']
Why's that? :huh: You keep telling us that your opinion, built up over years of experience, is valid - so why shouldn't anyone else's be, even if you disagree with it? :(
[/quote]

It wasn't even the content of it... it was the way the 'point' was 'qualified'..

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1357040733' post='1916577']
Consider this, how many cabs with 4,6 or 8 10" speakers can you buy on BC at the moment? OK, now how many 2x15's? That's right, those that have them, keep them.
[/quote]

I think there are far fewer 2x15s in circulation, so proportionately fewer come up for sale. I dunno about 4" and 6" speakers, but there are certainly plenty of pople who are satisfied with 10".

That came out wrong, didn't it? :o :D

Having experienced a BF S12, I can only imagine a S15 would be a serious 8X10 killer.

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-fifteen.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-fifteen.htm[/url]

I run 2 X 410s which I'm very happy with (apart from the weight), but I'd go with an S15 tomorrow. If I had the folding, that is.

Barefaced do actually have examples of the speaker size making not much difference in terms of overall sound.

you'd think two midgets are exactly the same as a super12, but two midgets have less bottom end due to the overall box being smaller than a super 12.

I think (I may be wrong) that to make a sub you need a bigger box and a lot more power to drive it, and making the box smaller decreases the bass aswell.