Why become a member? ×

Buying a Bass Online

Gully35

Hi guys. I'm going to buy a Fender American Standard Jazz bass 2012 in Olympic White.
I was going to buy it from somewhere like GAK, but I read a number of negative reviews which had me worried.
I live in Northern Ireland and want it to arrive in top condition, and considering the price I don't want to have one all manly or marked from being on display.
Where do you recommend I purchase it from? I read somewhere the GAK shop is better to deal with.
Thanks for the input!

To be honest I have never bought a bass that was perfect for me from a shop or elsewhere as far as setup is concerned so as long as all the bits are there I'm not too bothered, I don't mind if a bass has been tried in the shop either as long a its mint still :) A lot of people have requested that their item be unopened and the online dealers have met that request a far as I can tell so put that in your order if it bothers you? :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Just email them and tell them you want a brand new un played one and see what they say, if they say yes and its been played when it comes you have them bang to rights, on the other hand, and it happens, you might be missing out on a great bass that's been tweaked to perfection by the bass playing member of staff that can't put it down as its the best jazz bass they have ever played and wish they could keep it for them selves!

I think that`s the key, tell them you don`t want a display model. It`s most likely you`ll have to do a set-up to your own preference, but out of all the basses I`ve bought I`ve only ever not needed to do that with one, so it`s just one of those things that we have to deal with - the folks at Fender, and the retailer are unlikely to know in advance our preferences so they are just set so-so.

This is really dangerous in my experience when buying mass produced instruments like Fender etc. When buying online you may get lucky or you may get a real dog. I wouldnt recommend it but you may get lucky.

I once bought a Lakland 44-01 online sight unseen and when it arrived it was outrageously heavy for a 4 string at around 12 lbs. It was the last one the particular retailer had in stock so was a little cheaper...obviously nobody else wanted it because it weighed so much.

Be careful. If you do decide to go down this route give Thoman.co.uk a try. I found their service to be extremely professional.

Edited by White Cloud

I live in northern ireland too and id reccomend a trip to dawsons or matchetts in belfast and if what u want isnt on the wall they will order u one. U can then try before you buy.
Try belfast guitar centre too as its a really good shop. Also in belfast.
Its a buyers market so dont let some mainland online giant stuff you with one they dont want hoping you cant be botherd to return it. I learnt the hard way.
Just remembered bairds on york road beside yorkgate too in belfast. Great bunch of guys in there.

Edited by bassman344

I have dealt with GAK for every single bass I have bought online (about 5), and they have always been great. GAK's service is fantastic, and the basses have always been in perfect condition. All I've had to do is adjust the action to my preference, which takes 2 mins max.

When I bought my 2012 P-bass in July I called them up and spoke to the bass guy in their store and he sorted me out with a great deal, including free delivery and a free set of strings. The bass arrived the next day, and I haven't had to touch the set up at all, it was perfect.

@ Bassman. Matchetts are a rip off. They priced a tort pickguard for my P-bass at £95 plus VAT. I ordered one through the fender dealer in Lisburn for £50!
I will try Dawsons though, definately. And well I'll try matchetts for a laugh to hear their price. Cheers!

Yeah I think I'll also phone the GAK shop, it appears to be better than the website.

I've bought n loads of basses without trying them first and can't really remember having had a problem.

However, Fenders (even the new ones) can vary tremendously in terms of tonal quality and I'd be extremely wary of buying one without hearing it first.

Overall QC is much better now but I've been really surprised at how different a simple J or P can sound from a seemingly identical bass.

Friend of mine recently picked up a fabulous Fender P and wanted to buy another that sounded as good. Fender UK have been unable to replicate it so far and they've been trying for 2 months now!

Although you'll have a 7 day return option you won't have anything to compare with directly :(

Personally I'd buy a used one in mint condition from someone here that knows what they are talking about and can be honest about sound and feel.

Failing that I'd try to test at least 3-4 Fenders back to back in a store. If nothing else it'll let you see if you can hear the differences between different basses and decide how important this is to you.

I have to say that I'd always want a bass that's been taken out of the box, checked for dings, hardware and truss rod tested, basic action adjusted etc rather than take something that's unchecked since it left the factory. I've seen plenty of brand new basses with transit damage so would at least want to know the shop had checked it first.

I have two basses (electric and double) and 3 guitars. I bought all but one either on-line of by mail order, including both basses, a Gibson ES175 and a Takamine CD132SC nylon acoustic. I have had no problems with any of them. I also bought my soprano saxophone on-line (Thomann) and the feedback from my sax player is 'astonishing value for money'. It is important to do your research in advance but I don't think it is as dangerous as some seem to think.

The thing is, I don't subscribe to the idea that there is a perfect bass/guitar out there but work on the premise that I have to learn to play it rather than it needing to fit me. I am not convinced that you can 'buy' a good sound or great technique (i.e. a great nexk) but need to learn to play the thing you have in front of you.

I agree with Bilbo really, it also depends on your own ability, if you are a novice (like me on double bass) unless you have a friend handy that can play well and also has no preference for a particular style of neck profile or nut width (and who has such a friend?) then you might as well buy blind and learn to like it or find out over time what it is you dont like and go back once you can play a bit and see what feels comfy now, 99% of the time something like the one you already have! I bought my Double bass from Thomann and have adjusted it to suit me, the choice for cheaper EUB is limited to say the least and I dont know anyone near me that can play one at all so I saved myself a drive to Birmingham on that purchase, time will tell if its a good bass. On the other hand I am good enough on regular bass (just) to be looking at more expensive stuff and know what I am looking for in terms of quality and my choice of playability but even then its not going to be setup to my liking so its still a bit of a leap of faith, thats why some people have multiples of a particular bass, as long as its a Stingray I know I can set it up for me and eliminate the weak G string etc if needs be as the basses are so solid and adjustable. :)

Same for me with Precisions, Pete. I`m yet to find one, be it Squier, MIM, CIJ, USA that I can`t get on with, once I`ve set it up to my liking. Sure, some are put together better than others - in all the manufacturers - but for me so long as the neck is straight and I can get the action where i want it, I know where I am with one, and can get it do do what I want.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1356545912' post='1911047']
Same for me with Precisions, Pete. I`m yet to find one, be it Squier, MIM, CIJ, USA that I can`t get on with, once I`ve set it up to my liking. Sure, some are put together better than others - in all the manufacturers - but for me so long as the neck is straight and I can get the action where i want it, I know where I am with one, and can get it do do what I want.
[/quote]

Thats it aint it Lozz P J or MM of any type can be made to play OK, I work at a school where the caretaker both plays and builds guitars as a hobby, he has got 15 elec guitars for the childrens music lessons out of the Maplins or RS catalogue you know the type £69 with an amp etc, He has re strung them and set them all up over a few weeks as and when he got any spare time, all 15 he says are brilliant now, he practices with his band in the school hall and just uses one of the kids guitars now instead of bringing his own in! :D

[quote name='Gully35' timestamp='1356542513' post='1910979']
@ Bassman. Matchetts are a rip off. They priced a tort pickguard for my P-bass at £95 plus VAT. I ordered one through the fender dealer in Lisburn for £50!
I will try Dawsons though, definately. And well I'll try matchetts for a laugh to hear their price. Cheers!

Yeah I think I'll also phone the GAK shop, it appears to be better than the website.
[/quote]

Id agree. Dawsons wud be first try.
Then belfast guitar centre. Then bairds. Then matchetts.
I think the price you were quoted for the pickguard was their way of saying "we cant be annoyed ordering this for you so we will just be so stupid expensive you will go somwer else cuz we r busy"
I sympathise with your dilemna bcuz over her we r kinda cut off from real quality bass shops like the mainland have. Its pantz but thats life. I bought my first usa fender p bass in matchetts 17 yrs ago and they wer the cheapest back then.
Keep us posted on progress. Try on the forum here for a good secondhand one . . . . Before u order. I wud.

Might have already been suggested, but have you considered buying from US? I was close to buying a P Bass from sweetwater.com earlier this year. Although I ended picking up a used one locally, Sweetwater's service was great. Even with customs charges I would have ended up saving between €700 and €900 on a bass that would have cost €2,100 on Thomann. And Thomann were cheaper than I would have paid locally.

I heard about Sweetwater on another forum and a few people had even reported the sales reps as identifying and resolving any QC problems with instruments. They definitely seem to add the personal touch.

Might be something to consider.

I just took a look at a gretsch on sweetwater thanks. I used to get all my Harley parts from Chicago rather than Bristol when the rate was 1.7 or 2 dollars to the pound. Now it's about 1.5 I'm not sure there is much in it. The Bass is £829 from GAK but $900 from sweetwater, which is about £600, then there's shipping, visa fee, VAT, Import duty and usually a carriage fee of up to £20 this side of the pond...... But I guess all of that would be less than £229 so I might :-)