Why become a member? ×

Loopers...

overwater#1

Hey guys,

Im after getting a bass looper to have some fun with, and use in performance. I really don't use effects at all in my playing, although I have a BassPod.. so Im not sure which looper would be the way forward?

Just suggestions please! :)

Many thanks! All the best :huh:
Matt

Another happy user of the Headrush E2 here...

Really simple to use - I believe KT Tunstall used this on her performance on Later with Jools Holland. Really shows off how easy it is to loop with this pedal, its great.

Im after something which i can easily live drop layers on layers, so a percussive beat then a bass part, pseudo guitar part and then noodle. But all in a pedal not rack, am i asking too much ive looked around on here and tb but am still at a loss!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='201916' date='May 19 2008, 08:06 AM']Im also looking at loopers, does the headrush allow you to build up a few layers and then solo over them? Or would I be better off with the boss rc2?[/quote]
Yes you can do that with the Headrush. You can't undo layers one by one but you can delete all but the original/first one, you can also stop and restart etc. I'm sure many/most of the others you can do this to but I only have experience of the Headrush

The limitation with any of these I suppose is the length of the loop, which is about 25 seconds or something with the Headrush BUT you can then noodle/add layers over the top to the same length as that, it isn't a case of 20+ seconds of recording in total.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='201988' date='May 19 2008, 10:52 AM']are the boss and the jamman longer?, also how many layers can you add?[/quote]

You can add infinite layers with the Headrush. Something I like to do is put my tuner/volume pedal before it. That way you can play a percussive bass part, and bassline, then mute the signal, plug in a guitar/keyboard/whatever, add some chords, then switch back to bass for some noodling, hehe.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Kirky' post='243348' date='Jul 19 2008, 02:03 PM']Does anyone know if you can you sync a Headrush (or any other looper) with a sequencer using midi? I use a Roland MC500.

Cheers, Martin[/quote]
The Headrush has no MIDI, and neither do the Line6 DL4 or JM4.

The Eventide TimeFactor can be a MIDI Clock slave only, while the older Lexicon JamMan can be both master or slave . (Not to be confused with the Digitech JamMan, which has no MIDI.)

I've got a Boss RC-20XL (i think that's what it's called) and it is by far the best piece of equipment i have ever bought. It's helped me to progress far more than anything else single handedly.

The massively cool thing about the Boss is that you have 11 memory banks, so you can loop something and save it...11 times. So you can be working on loads of different ideas/tunes for practice, or have pre-looped loops for live sets etc. It's also got a stupidly long record time, 8mins or something like that. And yes, you can layer up loads.

One down side which i find annoying is that say you record a 4 bar loop, but then you want to add a layer that round the orginal 4 bar loop twice, so you create an 8 bar layer on top...you can't do this. You can only layer for as long as the original loop lasts, so if it's 4 bars, you can add another 4 bar layer on top, and of course a 2 bar layer (although this will play 2 of every 4 bars, not every 2 bars). I find this annoying if i've sampled/nabbed a drum loop that's only 2 bars long but i want to layer a 4 bar bass line over it...but i just jam about instead.

Loopers are great though. I've learnt loads more about using chords and just general writting stuff as a result of using one for a while!

I would go for the Jamman or the Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.

Jamman - has an SD card slot so you can put drum tracks on it, or samples of synths/instruments from your PC to use live. I think it has up to 99 loops, and you can plug in an external footswitch to flick between them. Doesn't have reverse function that the Boss has though, but otherwise I think it beats it.

SMMH - Only 30 second loop length, but has really excellent delay/reverb/flanger sounds in it that you can use in the recorded loops. You can filter, reverse and speed up / slow down these loops to make really good ambient noise swashes and stuff. If you only want a basic looper (i.e. no multiple selectable loops or undo functions) but with a whole host of features the other pedals don't have I would go for this - I did!

+1 for the Boss RC-20XL

used one last year for about a month non-stop, really great. the bar limitation thing described above is annoying be it never stopped me doing anything i wanted to do, just had to think of a different way to do it. otherwise, you can do just about anything with it, i think it has about 14 or 16 minutes of recording time as well, something like that, and you can store 11 different patches as well, and just switch between them without having to re-record.

having said that, the headrush seems to be really good too, obv highly recommended here. almost bought one myself, as it's also a great delay/tape echo pedal and not just a looper. it is a bit limited as far as recording time goes however, and i never felt it was really as good as a purely a loop pedal as some of the other alternatives. it should be noted as well that while you can record 23 or whatever seconds on it, you can only then overdub if you record less than half of that (11-ish seconds), or something like that. it is however, a bit more flexible than the boss in some ways.

+1 for the Jamman, I've got one and it's definitely a great practice tool.

However, I find that it sucks all my tone out and leaves my bass sounding rather thin, but as I only use it in the privacy of my own home its not really that much of an issue, I don't know if this is a thing with all loop pedals?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Line 6 JM4 Looper out yet?

[url="http://uk.line6.com/jm4looper/"]http://uk.line6.com/jm4looper/[/url]

I can't seem to find it anywhere (in stock).

I wonder if it has better functionality than the Jamman or Headrush

[quote name='Shaun' post='252036' date='Jul 31 2008, 01:44 PM']Is the Line 6 JM4 Looper out yet?

[url="http://uk.line6.com/jm4looper/"]http://uk.line6.com/jm4looper/[/url]

I can't seem to find it anywhere (in stock).

I wonder if it has better functionality than the Jamman or Headrush[/quote]

They look interesting - GAK seems to be stocking them. I got as far as entering my payment details but I had to pull back from the brink (new bass last week + new Line6 box this week = potentially p1ssed off wife!) :)

[quote name='steve' post='252489' date='Aug 1 2008, 08:57 AM']They look interesting - GAK seems to be stocking them. I got as far as entering my payment details but I had to pull back from the brink (new bass last week + new Line6 box this week = potentially p1ssed off wife!) :)[/quote]

I just phone GAK and they said that Line 6 JM4's are only arriving early September.
I'm going to go for one of the other loop pedals.