Why become a member? ×

New: Gibson Explorer Bass

bigsmokebass

Well hello again my friends,

Here with yet more Gibson news: this time another Explorer bass in Sunburst.

This looks pretty nice comparing it to the Silverburst they introduced within the last year, limited run, i believe? well, same again needless to say :)

Still packing the same feat's and yet to be put on the official website but details can be found on [i][color=#ff0000][url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gibson-limited-run-explorer-electric-bass-guitar"]Musicians Friend[/url][/color][/i]

So . . . Dear Santa ;)

BSB

Oh, also for anyone in the 'Short Scale' market, they're bringing out a "Faded series" Flying V with all the same specs (seems familiar?) but with a Satin finish.

more details on the (UK) [i][url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid26253/cid682/gibson-flying-v-bass-guitar-in-satin-cherry-finish.asp"][color=#ff0000]Andertons[/color][/url][color=#ff0000] [/color][/i]site

BSB

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1355171025' post='1895026']
I don't like sunburst and I don't like pointy guitars. But bizarrely I like this!
[/quote]

i know what you mean, i love rounded basses but this is quite subtle and comforting with the mellow sunburst finish where as the 'others' scream METAL at you with the strictly black finishes.

each to their own as they say, i like this though :D

BSB

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1355171501' post='1895038']
a 5 string Thunderbird
[/quote]

Where?

I had a look on the Gibson site and the only 5-string bass I could see was the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro V. That's got about as much in common as a proper Gibson Thunderbird as it has with a Fender Jazz.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1355171605' post='1895040']
No new ones or any sign of any but theres a Studio Thunderbird 5 (cherry) for sale on the forum :)
[/quote]

Just seen that. It doesn't really look like a "proper" Thunderbird though - no raised centre section to the body, wrong bridge, wrong pickups. I guess I'll just have to keep saving for a Lull T-Bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1355172041' post='1895050']
Just seen that. It doesn't really look like a "proper" Thunderbird though - no raised centre section to the body, wrong bridge, wrong pickups. I guess I'll just have to keep saving for a Lull T-Bass.
[/quote]

That was the only problem with the Studio series was that they where more of a budget range.
They also made a 5 string Les Paul bass, quite rare to see but imho, i don't like it and think it was a better model for the 4 strings.

BSB

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1355171201' post='1895031']
Do Gibson make any 5-string basses?
[/quote]

Nothing right now. I think the V (not flying) might have been their first 5 string bass. There's a mucked about with one here: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330839575952"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330839575952[/url]

I have an IV and it's a really nice bass - sort of like a Thunderbird in a sensible body shape. Mahogany body and neck, but set neck, not through neck.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1355219887' post='1895417']
Always fancied an explorer. I fear this may just be a pointy thunderbird though. Pickups look the same. The original explorer bass had the pickups out of the grabber, which are amazing.
[/quote]

i fear the same too but i look at it, personally as having 2 different basses with different tunings/setups. also, the fact this [u][i][b]SHOULD[/b][/i][/u] be cheaper than a Tbird, works even better.
I will admit, i'd prefer a Tbird over this anyday but "beggars cant be choosers"? hehe

BSB

Just an update: I got In touch with a few UK stores after this bass or whether they knew they'd be getting one in, at the moment it sadly seems to be an American exclusive but nothing to back that up. I have DV247 chasing this up for me along with a UK RRP.

I shall repost when I find out more news, fingers crossed :)

BSB