• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New: Gibson Explorer Bass

bigsmokebass

• 4 weeks later...

News just in, Grant from DV247 got back to me saying it is £699 RRP and

[sup]"Apparently they are in stock at Gibson Europe, ready to ship![/sup]

[sup]Unfortunately, we do not have one on backorder, if you 100% wanted one, we’d have to take a deposit and get one shipped over just for you!"[/sup]

this is at the Birmingham store, so maybe your local DV247 or alt guitar shop have different plans but you heard it from me first lol

BSB

I used to have a Jackson Kelly, which should still be with another BC'er - and that was a really well put together bass. Different sweep to the rear, and a more substantial headstock - and active electronics, via twin humbuckers.

I think I'd still take the Jackson, if just to avoid the 3-point bridge.

The one I'm looking at is the 2013 EB, but in the smoked sunburst - which has yet to arrive on these shores, also.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1358046563' post='1932386']

I think I'd still take the Jackson, if just to avoid the 3-point bridge.

The one I'm looking at is the 2013 EB, but in the smoked sunburst - which has yet to arrive on these shores, also.
[/quote]

The three point bridge is easily worked around. There will be a Hipshot Supertone on every flat top three point wearing Gibson I ever own :)

The EB eh? Dunno where I stand on it. Nice to see them try something new, but I'm not sure I like the looks. I am warming to the idea of the G-3 reissue, but would have a 5ply bwbwb pickguard made, single ply looks cheap and not quite right, to me at least.

It looks fine, but the neck-through design makes a Thunderbird have an unusual sustain that no Fender has. My two Jackson Kelly basses [one a thin-neck Japanese and one a fat=neck Indian ] have bolt-on necks and sound like a Fender. The Explorer neck is too slim.

Mr Gus, your very much welcome to come and try when i get mine :P just a wee travel, thats all.

For me, i know theres plenty of other shapes and brands out there but can anything say [b]ROCK![/b] more than Gibson? ;)
If everyone gave the 3-point bridges a try, not let it wind them up i think there would be a certain love for Gibson on here. They mightn't be the best or the cheapest basses you can buy but they stand their ground in the mix and i've never really seen them devalue compared to Fender; which must mean something?

BSB

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1358082929' post='1932705']
The EB eh? Dunno where I stand on it. Nice to see them try something new, but I'm not sure I like the looks.
[/quote]

I'll agree on the looks, a little - but having seen the smoked sunburst finish, I think I was simply put off by the grain on the stained model.

Coil tapping humbuckers are selling it to me at the moment.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1358115907' post='1933509']
Mr Gus, your very much welcome to come and try when i get mine :P just a wee travel, thats all.

For me, i know theres plenty of other shapes and brands out there but can anything say [b]ROCK![/b] more than Gibson? ;)
If everyone gave the 3-point bridges a try, not let it wind them up i think there would be a certain love for Gibson on here. They mightn't be the best or the cheapest basses you can buy but they stand their ground in the mix and i've never really seen them devalue compared to Fender; which must mean something?

BSB
[/quote]

Haha, will do chief.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1358121749' post='1933621']
Coil tapping humbuckers are selling it to me at the moment.
[/quote]

i think that is the only selling point of the EB for me, the rest is pretty stock in my eyes :-/ i think they should have done a red finish for sure.

anyone make much of the babicz(?) bridges?

BSB

i do believe when he says "[i]one of the cheapest gibsons . . . with a hardcase[/i]" he means with full scale length ;)
it doesn't seem bad, sounds like a jazz? but also thick with those double buckers. if they switched those Gotoh tuners for the Schaller's i may have considered it.
[sub]i've had my days of 2+2 headstocks and little plastic rings snapping or replacing tuners ("(-.-)[/sub]

the ebony looks quite suave anyway, think that's be mine if i got one. what colours/finishes are you hoping for?

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1358124192' post='1933655']
if they switched those Gotoh tuners for the Schaller's i may have considered it.
[sub]i've had my days of 2+2 headstocks and little plastic rings snapping or replacing tuners ("(-.-)[/sub]
[/quote]

Heh, another point where opinion is divided, I happen to like the mini buttons, I think the latest issue full size Grovers look like the kind of giant ears that kids at school get grief from their peers for :)

Gibson don't seem to want to use Schaller anymore, BMs stick out a little less than the Grovers.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1358125291' post='1933663']
Heh, another point where opinion is divided, I happen to like the mini buttons, I think the latest issue full size Grovers look like the kind of giant ears that kids at school get grief from their peers for :)

Gibson don't seem to want to use Schaller anymore, BMs stick out a little less than the Grovers.
[/quote]

As mentioned, ive had my days of broken tuners and i find the "big ears" very reliable and durable but saying that, i dont have a problem with them as such as long as theyre in a line of 4 like the thunderbirds, explorers etc.

i suppose theres always the option of Hipshots but at an expense.

BSB

PS: Neep, if big ears aren't doing you any good ill happily take your poor RD for my LP ;)

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1358126432' post='1933667']
PS: Neep, if big ears aren't doing you any good ill happily take your poor RD for my LP ;)
[/quote]

Heh, nice try but the RD has the Gibson branded Schaller BMs and they're fine by me, just don't like those Grovers ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1358126548' post='1933668']
Heh, nice try but the RD has the Gibson branded Schaller BMs and they're fine by me, just don't like those Grovers ;)
[/quote]

Gus will back me up, ill take good care of her, she'll feel right at home with her own kind too ;) you needn't worry

BSB