Why become a member? ×

Budget compressor

PeterSchofield

For about £90 you can get a Carl Martin Classic Optical Compressor. I am seriously in love with mine - has a lovely big sound to it with the gain turned up and great, user friendly flexibility with the attack and compress knobs. I'm a fan of simple compressors for live use and this ticks the box. Had previously used a DBX 163A and a Joe Meek 3Q preamp. The Carl Martin is a happy medium there for me. Well worth the money.

Compressors are such a personal and subjective thing. I use an Exar bass comp for hideous 80s squashing. Had the Ashdown, which I found to be little more than useless to be honest... and it's supposed to be the same as the old Trace Elliot dual band thingy...

Anyway go here: http://www.ovnilab.com/

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1354661703' post='1888970']
For about £90 you can get a Carl Martin Classic Optical Compressor. I am seriously in love with mine - has a lovely big sound to it with the gain turned up and great, user friendly flexibility with the attack and compress knobs. I'm a fan of simple compressors for live use and this ticks the box. Had previously used a DBX 163A and a Joe Meek 3Q preamp. The Carl Martin is a happy medium there for me. Well worth the money.
[/quote]

GAK has them for £80 but then delivery is a fiver. I've never tried them but they were one of the recommended cheaper optical compressors on Ovnilabs along with the BYOC (if you want to spend several hours soldering and assembling).

The Aguilar is praised on here if you can find one in the for sale section - edit - There's one on there but it's still £105 so out of your budget.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a GTX bass limiter from Dangleberry music on amazon or eBay, after reading on here that the guts are identical to the Boss LMB-3. It only cost about £38 or something but it's great! Just take into account what Ovnilabs says about the LMB-3 and keep the enhance knob turned right down.

Does it have to be a pedal ? I'm thinking you wouldn't be needing to switch it in/out whilst playing ? If that's the case then you can get well spec'd compressor units well within budget. I'd suggest lookout for an Alesis NanoCompressor (1/3 rack format). Good quality flexible compressor. Seem to go around £30ish on ebay etc.

Anyone know anything about the Alesis 3632 Dual Channel Compressor/Limiter/Gate?

[url="http://www.alesis.com/3632compressor"]http://www.alesis.com/3632compressor[/url]

It's £99 and a 1u rack unit. I was thinking about it for Bass but also to hook up to my mixer for recording and PA. Is it any good? Would I be better off going for one dedicated to Bass?

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1354661703' post='1888970']
[/quote]
+1.

Been using mine non-stop since I bought it earlier this year.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1356019458' post='1905832']
Anyone know anything about the Alesis 3632 Dual Channel Compressor/Limiter/Gate?

[url="http://www.alesis.com/3632compressor"]http://www.alesis.com/3632compressor[/url]

It's £99 and a 1u rack unit. I was thinking about it for Bass but also to hook up to my mixer for recording and PA. Is it any good? Would I be better off going for one dedicated to Bass?
[/quote]

Perfectly adequate for live. Recording, well, its a bottom of the range compressor. It will work fine, it shouldnt be too noisy, it wont reek of mystical mojo, but if you know what you're doing it should ok.

Plus points - it has great metering (the importance of which is not to be underestimated at all)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1356218053' post='1908186']
Perfectly adequate for live. Recording, well, its a bottom of the range compressor. It will work fine, it shouldnt be too noisy, it wont reek of mystical mojo, but if you know what you're doing it should ok.

Plus points - it has great metering (the importance of which is not to be underestimated at all)
[/quote]
Cool, thanks. It will be my first foray into the world of compressors and stuff. The only other one I have ever had is the rather simple thing that comes in a Behringer V-Amp Pro... From what I have read and seen about the 3632 it's not too noisy, certainly better than the 3630. I was hoping to get one that would cover more stuff than just Bass, to justify buying it. And I really would like to learn how to use it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1356371494' post='1909666']
It will cover far more than just bass, and its good metering will mean you will have a great tool for educating yourself, and your ears to comperssion.

Enjoy it!
[/quote]

+1

You should really get a 'proper' stereo compressor if you want to use it for recording in general as well as bass.
Standard units from dbx / symetrix / alesis / behringer etc will offer you a great deal of flexibility but that also means access to a shed load of sounds which you won't actually want to use on a particular sound source. So if you want to be effective you really need to learn / read about compression - there's lots of info out there - to understand how to get the effects you're looking for. That's more important really than the particular box of electronics chosen.
Playing with software compressors on a DAW is a great way to get a feel for it without buying loads of kit plus you get visual info on the monitor.

Of course something like the Carl Martin mentioned may give a flavour of something you can't afford in it's fully fledged and expensive guise ( Urei / Pultec etc ) so it's a judgement.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='terocious' timestamp='1356014488' post='1905724']
Try Joyo Dyna Compressor. I bought mine via ebay for less than 35$ shipped to Finland. It's cheap and does what it suppose to do.
[/quote]Actually no,my friend.It is $30 here.But is shipped from China:http://www.donnerdeal.com/pro-guitar-amp-effect-pedal-dynamic-compressor-joyo-jf-10-pro-true-bypass-blue.html .

Edited by terryat