Why become a member? ×

First headline gig.. what a night!

charic

My bands first headline gig this Friday and the nerves are finally starting to bite. The band we have in support are frankly... brilliant! So we have to put on a good show.

Any tips on getting moving on stage? I play in a death metal band and dont naturally headbang, I would rather jump around a bit but unlikely to loosen up enough for that.

On the plus side Ive been with the band practices around 12 hours a day since Saturday so were very well rehearsed.

[b]Don't move, let the crowd do that. Get some 10" high leg combat boots and stand with your feet planted (the boots will help here) preferably in a fairly wide stance as Dandelion suggests, maybe a slow nod from time to time and a bit of a snarl to accompany a fixed stare. Give them some serious thunder and enjoy it; if you enjoy it the crowd will, it's infectious.[/b]

If you're going to move about on stage, you need to rehearse it like any other part of your performance. Play along with some of your tracks in front of a mirror and see what looks good and what looks naff. But as others have hinted, it is perfectly acceptable for a bass-player to be immobile on stage!

Good luck mate! Seriously, you've got the support of everyone here :)

You've put the hours in with practice, so you know that side of things is covered. Draw some confidence from that and don't worry too much about your 'stage presence' until after the first couple of songs, by which time you'll have slotted into your groove and will be more relaxed and happy to let go a little.

Disclaimer: I haven't gigged properly in nearly 10 years but solid practice and Dutch courage used to work for me (in moderation - it's a careful balance. Two pints was always my optimum).

Enjoy it and let us know how it goes.

Be careful if you aren't used to going walkabout on a stage. If you feel that you want to go but cant do so comfortably the don't move. Its all to easy to hit an instrument/mic lead if you haven't done a recon of the area beforehand. I'm prone to going on little meanderings during sets as part of the "stageshow", often singing backing vocals into the other guitards mic or using one of the guys wah pedals if they're away from their pedals.
Try to keep all leads taped down bar the instrument to pedal/amp and use bright tape to mark the max reach of your own lead.

If in doubt plant a foot on the nearest monitor and rock out old school.

I dont think you'll have to move if you're performace is up to scratch - which it sounds like it will be!

I saw Dying Fetus a little while back - 3 piece - death(?)/shock(?) metal - no movement on stage, but amazing delivery of their material. One of the best perormances I've seen and now really into them.

Main thing is well polished material and enjoy it in my opinion, the crowd will catch tyhe drift!

Wheres the gig out of interest?

No advice, but best of luck!

Oh, and first and foremost make sure you have a huge personality and beam it out to the audience.
Then, don't move unless you already know this is within your comfort zone and you can play the part.
Boots and monitors, as said, are good, as is feet far apart.
Make sure you [b]have fun[/b] doing this!

Sorry I can't give any advice though.

best,
bert

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1354221636' post='1883897']
Moves should be natural or not done at all...

I only get apprehensive about tickets and attendance not the performances itself..
[/quote]

If the attendance hits whats expected well be turning people away on the door. The response has been fantastic, apparently the last gig made a bit of a name for us.

My singer keeps getting asked if hes going to the gig because theres a great band on... they have seemed a bit shocked once theyre told hes the singer lol

Well... what can I say. Im still in shock about how it went, we didnt break even as a lot of people flaked. Many of them being the same people who were bringing large groups.

But oh my what a reaction.
Moshing
Headbanging
Jumping
Heavy metal macarena to a metal version of word up
Wall of death

And the finale? We got about 70 people on stage with us going mad all around us as we played our encore :lol:

We had a few technical difficulties and monitoring issues but we poweted through. At least the crowd enjoyed themselves!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1354390293' post='1885544']
Glad it went well,) love the death metal stuff
[/quote]

Is there much of a scene over your way? Were booking up for next year now so we can look into a gig in your area :D