Why become a member? ×

genre over-categorisation

steve-bbb

dont tell me its not a proper word, an american friend told me it is :P

anyways

WTFF is [b]cinematic metal[/b] when it's at home ?? :huh: :blink:

anybody??

am i turning into the rick wakeman grumpy old man or is it just an age thing but is this whole genre categorisation thing getting (already [color=#800080][b]gotten[/b][/color] if you ask me) a tad far fetched??

or do i need to fess up to being totally uncool and out of touch with all things hip and trendy :unsure:

usual usual ... answers on a postage stamp please

edited for sausage fingers

Edited by steve-bbb

I reckon musical genres are like social classes - something for other people to define and pontificate about - and about as useful.

Unfortunately, such things exacerbate conflict because people end up supporting bands simply because they play a particular 'genre' as defined by some aspiring music journo.

Fortunately, most people grow out of such things and eventually learn to decide for themselves what music they like and dislike without needing to know the genre.

You should check this out:

[url="http://mapofmetal.com"]http://mapofmetal.com[/url]

For this month's composition challenge I decide to label my track as 'Sadcore' - thinking that would be sorta funny - and it turns out there is already a genre with that name :blink:

When I worked a music journo years ago I invented the genre 'folkstep' as joke in one article. That's now a genre too!

I guess people are just suckers for labeling things - gives them a sense of identity, etc. Although some of the names do make me laugh.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1354010694' post='1880661']Unfortunately, such things exacerbate conflict because people end up supporting bands simply because they play a particular 'genre' as defined by some aspiring music journo.[/quote]

^ Ha ha! Yup, that was me at one time. Only my aspirations never quite transpired...

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1354010037' post='1880648']
I understand that proggy stuff is now called math rock or technical metal.
[/quote]
Not right.
"Math Rock" & "Technical Metal" are just another two sub genres - they do not encapsulate the entire "Prog" genre.

Not being funny, but if I was deciding between two CDs/Downloads and the descriptions were literally just 'Djent' or 'Thrash', then that helps me decide which one I'd like more.

Because modern metal is so faddish, you get a real ureters ding of what a bands going to sound like by the way they catagorise themselves. I remember that deathcore spawned doomcore, sludgecore and thrashcore; all sounding very different. Metal's a funny thing because all it takes to change the category is the vocal style or the guitar tone. Imagine early Korn with death vocals. Itd be doom wouldn't it?

Truckstop

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1354010694' post='1880661']Unfortunately, such things exacerbate conflict because people end up supporting bands simply because they play a particular 'genre' as defined by some aspiring music journo.[/quote]

Useful for ego-centric Gumtree adverts though.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1354010741' post='1880663']
You should check this out:

[url="http://mapofmetal.com"]http://mapofmetal.com[/url]

[b]For this month's composition challenge I decide to label my track as 'Sadcore' - thinking that would be sorta funny - and it turns out there is already a genre with that name :blink:[/b]

When I worked a music journo years ago I invented the genre 'folkstep' as joke in one article. That's now a genre too!

I guess people are just suckers for labeling things - gives them a sense of identity, etc. Although some of the names do make me laugh.

^ Ha ha! Yup, that was me at one time. Only my aspirations never quite transpired...
[/quote]

I wanted to call mine Savilecore, to find that already existed :D

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354018726' post='1880812']I wanted to call mine Savilecore, to find that already existed :D[/quote]

^ Read that and thought to myself "eh??"... typed it into Google, which came up with 'Explore savilecore on SoundCloud'...now I'm thinking "WTF!?"... clicked the link and it took me to your track!

If that takes off as a genre title, then I'll know who to point the finger at mate! :P

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354018726' post='1880812']
I wanted to call mine Savilecore, to find that already existed :D
[/quote]

What is Savillecore exactly, music that doesn't get discovered until thirty years after it actually happened? :)

Years ago on the Gretsch Discussion Pages forum myself & a guy called Truxton Meadows (superb name!) invented "Progabilly" :)
I haven't checked but that's probably a "proper" genre now too.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1354023269' post='1880926']
^ Read that and thought to myself "eh??"... typed it into Google, which came up with 'Explore savilecore on SoundCloud'...now I'm thinking "WTF!?"... clicked the link and it took me to your track!

If that takes off as a genre title, then I'll know who to point the finger at mate! :P
[/quote]

:lol:

I'd typed Savil into the genre box and it gave me a list including Savilecore so that was that!

I suffered this when the kids were teenagers. I concluded it was tribal rather than musical, a way of separating out a bunch of bands which it was ok to like in a particular group of their friends. Emo seemed to be the bin for everything no one liked - and I understood the description, but whenever I said "So, is this Emo?", it never was.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1354023351' post='1880928']
No. ;)
[/quote]

yup, Korn with Death vocals would be Nu-Death Core Metal. ;)

you're on pretty safe ground if you consider that anything with 'core' in it is probably sh*te. sh*te-Metal, if you will.

all I know is that my band plays 'Instrumental Stoner Groove Doom' :lol: (no seriously, we have stickers that say that ;) )

...I'm should stay out of this one.
Sub-genres can be a right headache, but they allow for easier categorisation.
For DJing it helps to know...The whole "Core" thing has taken it too far though...everything has "core" on the end.
Play me a track and I can fit it into a category somewhere. They all have little staples and isms.
"Core", coming from Hardcore (Black Flag, as an example) focuses on more basic playing and lots of breakdowns.
Whereas Death metal will use things such as blast beats, tremolo picking, fast tempo's etc Deathcore instead chugs on the lowest notes, often a diminished triad, has medium to slow tempo and lots of breakdowns...Not really a fan of Deathcore but some of it's OK.

As for what I read before though, progressive, math and technical, 3 different things.
3 typical examples;

Dream Theater - Progressive
SikTh / Dillinger Escape Plan - Math
Necrophagist - Technical Death metal

Yes...I need to leave this thread!

Edited by Kongo