Why become a member? ×

genre over-categorisation

steve-bbb

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1354147780' post='1882888']
...I'm should stay out of this one.
Sub-genres can be a right headache, but they allow for easier categorisation.
For DJing it helps to know...The whole "Core" thing has taken it too far though...everything has "core" on the end.
[/quote]

A sort of 'CoreGate' thing then. :lol:

Play me a track and I can fit it into a category somewhere. They all have little staples and isms.

[/quote]

Would anyone else agree with you though? Would my kids, winding back to when they were 15, agree with you? Or would they fix you with that whithering stare that says you can never, ever even begin to understand our tribal structure, let alone join in.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354182804' post='1883081']

So anything produced using GarageBand would be 'Applecore'?

I'll get me coat.
[/quote]

Haha that's amazing. I'll use that one from now on... Also yes! Now you see how bad this "core" addition is haha. It really is that bad.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1354188861' post='1883222']

Would anyone else agree with you though? Would my kids, winding back to when they were 15, agree with you? Or would they fix you with that whithering stare that says you can never, ever even begin to understand our tribal structure, let alone join in.
[/quote]

They will, it's all about deliverance. Too many people either go in too brash or conderscend when tryig to explain.
Been into metal since as long as I can remember and I too was 15 once. I wouldn't talk down to them I'd explain using examples they can relate to.
If they tried doing the whole "you can't understand thing"; which is a teenage phase and nothing to do with metal then they'd be firing blank ammo.
9/10 these days if a kid is listening to metal, it'll be metalcore with bands like Bring Me the Horizon or While She Sleeps.
I can't stand that stuff but to each their own. Got members in my own band that are into metalcore.
It adds to the big mixing pot of influences.

"Core", coming from Hardcore (Black Flag, as an example) focuses on more basic playing and lots of breakdowns.
[/quote]

funny thing about it tho, Black Flag didn't play 'breakdowns', yet they're probably known as a hardcore band. Hardcore punk is a vast scene all of it's own, since Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror were HC to old punks... they consider the likes of Terror and Madball to be Metal bands, which they pretty much are, musically speaking.

Categorisation may seem crazy to the uninitiated, but it's very handy and can be important when discussing bands' styles. I guess it just depends how 'into' music one is!

(I can see you get it btw, Im just talking to whoever's listening :) )

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354182804' post='1883081']
So anything produced using GarageBand would be 'Applecore'?

I'll get me coat.
[/quote]

too late mate, that's already been done, Twenty Three years ago!! ;)

p.s. they were extracting the urine tho, Im sure!

Edited by Chest Rockwell