Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds and a sore left hand

Evil Undead

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I've just switched to chromes 105-45 because I prefer the sound of those to the rounds I was using. But the higher tension is making my fretting hand ache.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]My action is still identical to before (about 2mm at the 12th) and relief is the same (about half a mm) so there can't be that much more tension. I tried lowering the action but any lower and I can't play above the 15th fret due to choking. Can't get my neck dead straight no matter what I do.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Is the extra tension and aching all in my head, or is it something that I'll get used to?[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]They sound so good that I don't really want to go back to rounds.... would a lighter gauge of the same string help, maybe 40-100?[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks[/font][/color]

You`ll probably get used to it Mel. When I bought a 50s type Precision, the extra width of the neck made my left hand hurt for a few days, but I then must have got used to it, as the pain just went away. I have found that lighter strings have less tension though, so could be a way of removing it quickly.

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1353935470' post='1879864']
Thomastik Infeld flats....fabuolus tone, low tension, problem solved.
[/quote]

And £70! Yikes.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1353936061' post='1879874']
My experience of chromes is that they become a bit more pliant as the break in - stick with them!
[/quote]

This is a set I got used - I don't know how much use they had before me though :/

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1353935470' post='1879864']
Thomastik Infeld flats....fabuolus tone, low tension, problem solved.
[/quote]

+1 on this .

Flatwound strings have a far higher tension than the corresponding gauge of roundwounds . Pino Palladino tunes down his Precision Basses strung with flats , partly because he likes a lower tension feel , but also to avoid putting such a strain on the necks of his beautiful vintage Precision Basses . Those Chromes in that gauge wil be very tight , by anybodys standards . The Thomastics are pretty pricey , but they are the best on the market and will last for years . Ask a rich relative to buy you some for Christmas , or failing that we could have a Basschat whip round . Have you thought about looking for some in the Basschat For Sale ads ? I've seen them on there now and again at bargain prices from people who just don't get on with flats and want rid of hardly used sets ..

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1353953448' post='1880217]
Flatwound strings have a far higher tension than the corresponding gauge of roundwounds . Pino Palladino tunes down his Precision Basses strung with flats , partly because he likes a lower tension feel , but also to avoid putting such a strain on the necks of his beautiful vintage Precision Basses . Those Chromes in that gauge wil be very tight , by anybodies standards . The Thomastics are pretty pricey , but they are the best on the market and will last for years . Ask a rich relative to buy you some for Christmas , or failing that we could have a Basschat whip round . Have you thought about looking for some in the Basschat For Sale ads ? I've seen them on there now and again at bargain prices from people who just don't get on with flats and want rid of hardly used sets ..
[/quote]
+1 to buying them used on here - usually seem to go for £15-20. But they go very quick, so you really have to keep a close eye to catch them.

But if there's going to be a BC whip round to buy som TIs, count me in, as I think everybody ought to experience them.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1353954112' post='1880230']
+1 to buying them used on here - usually seem to go for £15-20. But they go very quick, so you really have to keep a close eye to catch them.

But if there's going to be a BC whip round to buy som TIs, count me in, as I think everybody ought to experience them.
[/quote]

I think it really depends on what kind of touch you have. I like the TI's but when I dig- in the tension feels a little too floppy, I have to try and hold back a bit or it gets a bit barky!
The La Bella FL's have felt and sounded the best to me so far on the P bass and just put them back on the Jazz.
Some GHS brite flats and GHS Precision flats on the way to try and sort out what I'm looking for on the Rickenbacker.
Trial and error and a bit expensive.. but if you know it's not right.

Edited by Highfox

I've also found 45 gauge Chromes are slightly harder work on the left hand than equivalent gauge rounds. I think it's the increased stiffness/reduced compliance rather than just the difference in tension that does it. I got used to it without too much trouble, but I have a double bass influenced left hand techique (things like supporting the pinky with the ring finger where possible) which helps.
If you want some lower tension strings with a similar sort of vibe, the D'Addario tapewounds could be worth a shot. They sound a little different from Chromes, but they still do the "slightly livelier flat" thing very well and they feel similar to 40-100 guage rounds in tension.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

As long as the pain doesn't last when your done playing and isn't crippling, you'll do fine. It's just a muscle challenge, difference in feel. They'll strengthen up.
It's like when people go down to light gauge and glide all over the place but then come the time to go back to heavier, hands can't do it.
Just give it time and remember to back off a touch if the pain becomes too much. :-)

+1 to Thomastiks being a better choice if the tension of the Chromes (or most other flats) isn't for you. Whilst they are a bit pricier than almost all other strings it's worth keeping in mind that unless you're keen on the sound of the strings fresh out the pack, flatwounds 'last' longer due to there being much less of a groove in the string windings for the dead skin and grime to get under, plus IMO flats tend to get better with time. Like a good wine!

Must admit I do tend to struggle moving from my bass strung with rounds to the one strung with flats. A gig or two down the line and you'll be fine.

Flats are much the same as rounds when it comes to choosing them so saying that Brand X is what you want is a bit like saying that you should buy a Honda Civic cos that's what I drive.

I tried most brands before giving up only to have one last try years later with Roto flats and now I don't use anything else.

Trying some second hand sets from the forum is a good idea as they are pretty expensive but cheaper in the long run (mine are 3 years old and still good as new)

I know exactly what you mean about the chromes - I used this very set on a Rickenbacker and by the end of the set I felt like I had arthritis - not really worth damaging your hand for a set of strings so they were off before the next gig

I think the difference in feel is greater than the difference in sound. I found Chromes very hard, just didn't like them. TIs are ok, but I don't think they're worth paying extra for. I've got Rotos, GHS Precisions and TIs on various of my current basses, and I don't really notice any difference moving between them.