Why become a member? ×

The Perfect Strap....quest over (Bear Straps Content)

mingsta

Rather than actually playing my instruments, I've spent most of my idle time over the past 6 months searching for the perfect strap. I picked up a few duffers along the way, and at times I questioned my sanity as I found myself involuntarily surfing on the ipad for straps in the middle of the night when I woke up to use the loo (much to my other half's annoyance).

Happily, the quest is now over since I stumbled upon:
[url="http://www.bearstraps.com/"]http://www.bearstraps.com/[/url]

Rupert and his straps are definitely a bit of a secret treasure! I got in touch with Rupert last week to discuss making a custom 7.5cm wide strap based on his no.8 model. Less than a week later, after a friendly and useful email chat, and its in my hands! It basically the strap which I had in my mind, but could never find on the web, except with some boutique US makers who were charging an arm and a leg.

This is one lovely big chunk of hide, 4mm thick but suprisingly supple, I'm pretty sure that when he says a "strap for life" its not just idle talk. Quite frankly its ridiculous that you can get a custom made strap of this quality for £45 incl postage when you could easily spend as much on an inferior mass produced jobbie made in asia. My only regret is that I didn't find him sooner as I now have 3 existing straps which cost about the same price, but look very mediocre in comparison. Bravo Rupert and your straps!!!!

Here's a quick and dirty pic:
[url="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3x_XWwCrufzX8ZJY80z0oDtDaOet5p7tL5G38hlpkiA?feat=directlink"]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3x_XWwCrufzX8ZJY80z0oDtDaOet5p7tL5G38hlpkiA?feat=directlink[/url]

I had no idea how expensive straps were as I'm still using the ones i got 20 years ago! Recently I bought a new Ibanez and the sales guy said to pick a strap to the value of £30 I thought great! until i picked the one i liked and found it was £62!! In fact most of them were £40 so I got a cheap nasty one which now sits in my bag in case of emergencies.......of which i havent had any strap malfunctions in 20 years!!

They look good and seem very good value, but for the feedback i would be concerned ordering from anyone who's site does not give any indication of business address contact phone number etc. Thought they were American but for the prices in £pounds. ? anyone know more <_<

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1353435226' post='1874939']
Do they all have buckles or other metalwork? The site's a bit unclear. I never go for straps that have any metal on them - it's just a scratch waiting to happen...
[/quote]

No, I bought a simple black leather one with no hardware, and no adjustibility, I just specified the length I wanted.

IMO it's a bit ott, last time I wanted a trap about 5 years ago I just walked into the local music shop and asked them for the longest one they'd got (it's got to be long if you want to rock, tin hat at the ready) it's a fluffy neon pink one, see my avatar I'd be gutted if anything happened to it, as you've probably gathered I don't take myself too seriously

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1353504559' post='1875287']
IMO it's a bit ott, last time I wanted a trap about 5 years ago I just walked into the local music shop and asked them for the longest one they'd got (it's got to be long if you want to rock, tin hat at the ready) it's a fluffy neon pink one, see my avatar I'd be gutted if anything happened to it, as you've probably gathered I don't take myself too seriously
[/quote]

Haha! Is that a Daisy Rock strap? My boss bought me the same one for Christmas a few years ago. Her daughter saw it and asked her if I was gay, she said no, just flamboyant :lol:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1353514275' post='1875483']
Haha! Is that a Daisy Rock strap? My boss bought me the same one for Christmas a few years ago. Her daughter saw it and asked her if I was gay, she said no, just flamboyant :lol:
[/quote]
not sure what it's called I'll check, but it matches my DR neon pink strings nicely, I like a bit of colour coordination

Well thanks to this thread I ordered one myself! Great guy to deal with. Ordered it on Friday, arrived Tuesday in Belgium. Also wanted a wider strap so he made a 7.5 cm wide version of the classic #2, black with a brass buckle.

Beautiful piece of work and although the buckle may be a problem for scratches (let's hope not) , it looks classy for sure. As the OP said, the difference between this and a mass-produced thin leather one is huge. For 20-30 euro more seems worth it to me. No stitching anywhere, clean riveting etc. Can't imagine needing another strap for this bass for a long time.

Obviously it's not for everyone but for people are picky about straps (like me) it seems well worth it.

Just emailed the guy at Bear Straps to see if he can make me one I saw in a picture that Noel Gallagher was using.
Hopefully he'll get back to me saying he can. It may even be one of his straps as he's advertised as using them.
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Zpwik_hloSR/Isle+Of+Wight+Festival+Day+4/HlU4tkeApEH/Noel+Gallagher