Why become a member? ×

BC Genesis lovers....

wateroftyne

Oh yes, Firth of Fifth, when Steve's solo starts still sends shivers up my spine when I hear it - those white lights on the album cover didn't half singe my hair when they were turned though.

Going to see Steve on his Genesis Revisited II tour next year.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1353010759' post='1870567']
I've got sunshine in my stomach.......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58wE8GTGp4[/media]
[/quote]

I've got sunshine in my stomach... is from 'In the Cage'. Which incidentally, is my favourite song of all time.

Thought Phil did a killer job with it on the Wembley 86 concert as well.

When I was a child I remember Sixth Form types walking down the road where we lived in Afgan coats , flared trousers and embroidered denim jackets with Geneseis albums tucked under their arms , probably on their way round their friends house to listen to Foxtrot or Selling England ByThe Pound on a music centre ( remember them? ) while drinking cider and smoking roll ups in bedroom smelling of of joss sticks with Led Zeppelin posters on the wall . I bet kids nowadays couldn't make their own entertainment with the same meagre resources - it's all legal highs , ipods and dubstep. They don't have the neccesary attention span to listen to a concept album and will never know the joy of spending an evening arguing with their mates over whether Geddy Lee is a better bass player than Chris Squire . Maybe we could rehabilitate young offenders by making them listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans all the way through . That would teach em!

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1353018992' post='1870697']
I've got sunshine in my stomach... is from 'In the Cage'. Which incidentally, is my favourite song of all time.

Thought Phil did a killer job with it on the Wembley 86 concert as well.
[/quote]

Wembley was 1987 :D

Although during the 1986 leg of the tour in the USA, the ITC medley was Cage/Quiet Earth/Apocalypse in 9/8, which was pretty cool.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1353054577' post='1870918']
Wembley was 1987 :D
Although during the 1986 leg of the tour in the USA, the ITC medley was Cage/Quiet Earth/Apocalypse in 9/8, which was pretty cool.
[/quote]

I'm glad we didn't get that in the UK, 'cos that means they would have had to drop the marvellous R'n'B medley encore to make room. Can you imagine?

:mellow:

Phil's voice couldn't handle the end of "Apocalypse" any more by those days, which is why it was switched back to the more sedate "Afterglow". Sadly the RnB medley happened either way :(

Also, as the two previous concert films (the Mama tour in 1983 and the Three Sides Live film from a couple of years before) both featured the Cage medley, the Wembley film crew were told to use that part of the set to switch film reels in their fancy cameras (a new film format was used to film the gigs). As all 4 Wembley gigs were filmed, the same point was used to change reels. And that's why there's no Cage medley on film from that tour.

In fact the transfer to DVD took an effort on the old Genesis forum in the mid 00s to find someone still using the by-then defunct "new" film format, so they could transfer the footage to a useable format...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1353023214' post='1870792']
When I was a child I remember Sixth Form types walking down the road where we lived in Afgan coats , flared trousers and embroidered denim jackets with Geneseis albums tucked under their arms , probably on their way round their friends house to listen to Foxtrot or Selling England ByThe Pound on a music centre ( remember them? ) while drinking cider and smoking roll ups in bedroom smelling of of joss sticks with Led Zeppelin posters on the wall . I bet kids nowadays couldn't make their own entertainment with the same meagre resources - it's all legal highs , ipods and dubstep. They don't have the neccesary attention span to listen to a concept album and will never know the joy of spending an evening arguing with their mates over whether Geddy Lee is a better bass player than Chris Squire . Maybe we could rehabilitate young offenders by making them listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans all the way through . That would teach em!
[/quote]

It's a terrible thing the generation gap, isn't it. Us oldies just don't know we're living. :D

And Seconds out was the best, even if most of it was rerecorded in the studio.

Just listened to this version of Supper's Ready for the first time in ages.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kORf_0uVTw[/media]

What has struck me is (a) how much (or how little) actual bass playing there is in there - much of it is bass pedals or cello and (2) the shivers up the spine as the geese fly overhead at 18m47s ... from wikipedia, "Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet) ... "Gabble Ratchet" is a reference to the Hounds of Hell; they are usually portrayed as geese, which explains the sound effect heard during this section"

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1353072220' post='1871252']
For me, Selling England by The Pound is the greatest prog album ever.

Firth of Fith - just wow.
[/quote]

I would be in agreement were it not for the frankly hideous Battle of Epping Forest.
Such a shame, as the rest of the album is as close to perfection as anything, and the rest of the tracks are probably Genesis' finest.