Why become a member? ×

2013 - Year of Birth Bass/Guitar?

Wooks79

So in April, I'm gonna have my first little arrival! :crigon_04:

After getting my own Y.O.B. Precision just last week, I've been thinking a lot more about a bit of a gift for the baby when its older.

When I was born my dad went to a big posh wine company in London, and sat and chatted with an expert as to what he should buy, to store with them as a gift to give his son (me) when he turned 21 years old.

I was really touched by the thought, and the planning, and the bonding and hanging out cracking open that first bottle together. In fact I have that empty bottle sat right next to me as I type :)

So, in keeping with this kind of idea, I thought, come 2013, I want to buy my little one a Bass/Guitar/Something to keep squirreled away until a milestone b'day such as 18 or 21, and just wanted to get a bit of a thread going to bounce round ideas. A preplanned Y.O.B. in shiny mint condition would be a cool gift I reckon.

So the obvious one to me would be a 2013 USA Fender Precision. Brand new, untouched, and then stored straight away, to be kept til the important day!

SO... [list]
[*]Would you say a standard US Fender Precision would be the right choice?
[*]Would you say a Bass rather than guitar? As there will be many Basses to hand...
[*]Is there any perfect ways to store a bass for 18 or 21 years unused?
[*]Should I avoid an instrument altogether and go a bit more conventional?
[/list]
Help me out peoples, gimme thoughts and stuff, cheers all :biggrin:

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1352669180' post='1865983']
1stly massive congrats - magic times.

Can you have a word with my dad? That's a cool idea. Gotta be something unique to 2013 - some kinda ltd run us jazz / p bass / stingray if one pops up next yr.
[/quote]

Thanks very much man, yeah some kind of FSR or limited run would maybe be cool, make it even more year specific.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1352671151' post='1866010']
Great idea Si. Whatever you decide to get, I'm sure he or she will love it as much as you loved the gesture from your dad.

How are you getting on with the PF500?
[/quote]

Cheers Martin :) Yeah, getting on well with the PF500, nice little lightweight head to have around that! I've made a little padded case for it and everything :)

Fantastic idea and many congratulations; wish I'd thought of it with my only son. Is there such a thing as a YOB drum-kit?

You'd also make a fair investment in having a cask of whisky laid down on one of the Islay distilleries? When I was at Bruichladdich there was a Swede there with some mates on an annual visit to "his cask", we helped him find it in the warehouse.

Congrats! Live changing event that is.

Dunno what "conventional" is in your neck, but here, we bought every newspaper of the day and the following day, and presented them when the kid became 21.

As to basses, I'll only mention that 2013 probably will see the lim.ed. 10th anniversary Bongo.
Yes, it's expensive, and maybe a nice gift like that should be about typical 2013 style and choice of colour rather than about an expensive bass.

best,
bert

Congratulations Wooks! That's fantastic news mate. My son is just 17 months old so I'm very much in the thick of it myself. He once wriggled free during a nappy change and parked his sh1tty backside on the body of my bass, which I'd left nearby - took some cleaning that did. And most likely indicates that he's going to be a guitarist. You'll have plenty of such escapades to look forward to! ;)

Can't recommend a Fender, but I can recommend you get plenty of rest. That's the best advice that I myself ignored.

PS: that OC2 pedal I bought off you some time ago is still going strong! Thanks again.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1352680230' post='1866169']
Congratulations Wooks! That's fantastic news mate. My son is just 17 months old so I'm very much in the thick of it myself. He once wriggled free during a nappy change and parked his sh1tty backside on the body of my bass, which I'd left nearby - took some cleaning that did. And most likely indicates that he's going to be a guitarist. You'll have plenty of such escapades to look forward to! ;)
[/quote]

That sounds pretty messy! What have I got into?! ;) lol.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1352680230' post='1866169']
PS: that OC2 pedal I bought off you some time ago is still going strong! Thanks again.
[/quote]

Good to hear it man, funny story, I missed mine so much that I went and bought another one off our very own MB1, who then decided he missed his, and last I knew was after buying another :D

Cheers for all the congrats :D

The thing that's playing on my mind, is whether a bass or instrument is the right thing, or is just my wishful thinking that they will be into it?

I would hope they would, but am not gonna force it on them, just surround them with it and hope it takes :D lol

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1352729807' post='1866597']....
The thing that's playing on my mind, is whether a bass or instrument is the right thing, or is just my wishful thinking that they will be into it?

I would hope they would, but am not gonna force it on them, just surround them with it and hope it takes :D lol
[/quote]
I'll add my congratulations (and the recommendation that you stock up on sleep now!), but I do have reservations about a bass, certainly when compared with some wine. I know we're all bass players on here, but out there in the big bad world, from what I recall of the last time I ventured out ... there's a lot more wine drinkers than bass players. Of course, the fact of having a yob bass laid down for you by your dad is a sweet thing that might make you inclined to learn the instrument where you otherwise wouldn't, but I wouldn't want to count on that happening.

To be honest I think a guitar would be a slightly better bet. Probably a good, timeless acoustic like a D28 or J45 if you can stretch that far.

And I really think getting something that's very 2013 would be a disaster. Who would thank their dad for, say, the sort of 80s bass that you couldn't play except in a Wham tribute band?

By the way, I don't mean to pry, but ... going from your sig ... are you really only just 12 years old?

Edited by mart

To put a slight twist on this and congrats obviously, as much as I like the yob idea, and I am still on the lookout for a mint root beer 77 ray with hang tag and teardrop case myself, if I had been given either a 77 p bass or strat on my 21st all those years ago I would of been very happy but even more so with a pre CBS Jazz and it's value even more so now, especially if I had turned out a drummer or ballet dancer :lol:
I would be very happy with a P bass from my dads year of birth instead '54 (not '51 unfortunately) ;)
Just keep a copy of The Sun from the baby's birthday and put it in the case of a nice early 70's Jazz or something :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

congratulations on the good news... but WHAT!? this is a thing? i feel like i have been done out of something here... my goodness! I want a 1993 stingray FLEA ASAP!

anyway, yes, year specific. that shouldn't be too difficult, because most guitar manufacturers are totally anal about this kinda thing that they will only run a certain colour for a year... then wait 20 and re-release it as a custom shop special edition or some crap like that. but your kid will have the original of that colour :)

Fantastic idea, but I wouldn't buy a bass. As much as you'd love them to, there's no guarantee they will be a bass player, and a bass guitar isn't really a practical thing to have purely as a keep sake. I wouldn't go for a guitar either.

I like the idea of a nice bottle of wine/port/whisky though- its the kind of thing you can sit down and share together, regardless of what the gift is. Plus a bottle is easier to look after/store/keep than a bass!

Why not go out and get that 2013 USA Precision on the day, then keep the copy of the day's paper along with the invoice etc. but rather than store it, actually use the bass and make sure there are plenty of good photos of you both on its journey. That way, when you finally choose to let the secret go that it shares a significant birthday and hand it over, there are some memories and extra significance to go with it, rather than it just being a nice 'thing'.

Get all the sleep you can now. My 3 year old still wont sleep thru and partner and I are absolutely on our knees. I fell asleep standing up once. Congrats though
I'd suggest any bass by fender as the serial numbers are easily linked to the year which is the point. He/she can then make it roadworn themselves

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1352744659' post='1866924']

Who would thank their dad for, say, the sort of 80s bass that you couldn't play except in a Wham tribute band?

[/quote]

me!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1352744659' post='1866924']

And I really think getting something that's very 2013 would be a disaster.

[/quote]

but getting something 2013 is kind of the point. :)

BTW it's 'Wham!' ;)